Toto - XIV

Stefan

I agree, the production is huge and I think the song is very well written. Toto is an admirable band but I do get if Geoff can't get into them easily because maybe they grow from the 70s rock and evolve from that. I myself love some 60s and 70s rock so it's not a problem :D

Eh?

I detest 60s music and most 70s music (except a handful of late 70s releases)

To me this sounds exactly nothing like 60s / 70s music.

Just excellent 80s influenced AOR/Westcoast.

Cheers

You get me wrong mate - I'm not saying this song is 60/70s rock :)

What I mean is Toto started this band in the mid 70s and the early formation is heavily influenced, of course by 60s music or even 50s, like David Paich by his father (jazz musician), or Steve Lukather by Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix, also Al Di Meola. These influences were carried through their music and shaped by the musical evolution of the 80s and 90s music, that's what we've heard today - so TOTO's music is unlike straight-forward poppish AOR like say BAD ENGLISH of the 90s or WORK OF ART today, but they're fused by many influences which is might be confusing to some as they've heard some strange or weird musical passage in the interlude, solo guitars, or some part of the song.

For example in 'Holy War', from 3:15 to 3:45, that's like a 30-second fusion jazz-rock playing before the real melodic solo and the outro is also unique. For some, including me, that's a plus point but also the rest may think it's garbage that should have been dropped so it's really subjective :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

Excellent album, their best release in ages, fans of Toto will be really happy with this I think.

Is this already out?

Excellent album, their best release in ages, fans of Toto will be really happy with this I think.

Is this already out?

No, not until March 20 I believe.

I believe that will be the case. Everyone else? They will probably hate it.

I know I frustrate people by bothering to listen to this, as I make no secret of the fact that I do not like Toto one bit. But I can't stand seeing such hype and positive commentary within "our genre" without hearing for myself what all the fuss is about.

Anyway, I can't sugarcoat the fact that I thought this was absolute rubbish. One thing I was glad to hear was that the production was far better than what the youtube clips suggested. Production is fine... just a shame about the rest, for me, personally. I try to "get it," but I just don't. I can't see what there is here to get excited about, but to each their own. And man, does this album drag.

Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy it. Oh, and wow, is it just me or is 'The little things' a Westlife b-side? Or is it Boyzone's song? Which ever boy band they bought it from, interesting touch... ;)

Ive heard most of it, and to be honest I was a little deflated.

After The first 2 songs I thought it might be more along the lines of IV as suggested but it isnt. Hey ho.

Wow Glen, I thought you would be the last person to lay down a negative comment on this...you seemed so positive in the lead up to this one. Guess things can easily change though when you hear a whole album rather than just a few promotional highlights. I'm still enjoying it, definitely a few tracks that are a bit too mellow for me, but excellent production, musically these guys are very talented and some nice song writing on here as well.

I can't wait for my real CD to drop through the letterbox, whack it on the stereo and play it real loud, the way it's meant to be done. Then and only then will I make my comments on the final product.

I think it's a great album but slightly below my expectation.

Perhaps after two or three full spin, I can see this falls between 82 - 88 maybe, but I might go with the upper range

• 3 weeks later...

So I've always avoided Toto because the hits always struck me as too soft for my tastes.

Relented and given this one a spin. Where's the line. This is soooo soft. Why is this on these pages? If this counts then my beloved Kate Bush and Genesis , and even perhaps Prince should be here.

Actually getting over myself a little and enjoying it,but Heavy Harmonies fodder?

Suitable for HHs, absolutely. I know it's not heavy but I think the scope of musical styles and genres that HHs represents is made clear on the main page and being heavy certainly is not a requirement. As for Prince and Kate Bush not being on the site...no comment from me ? Glad your giving Toto a try anyway, Peter, they're some pretty cool and super talented lads.

Yeah, no one dislikes these guys more than me (:lol:) but how on earth could you say they're not worthy of these pages? There's a boy band ballad on here, but jeez, they're not that soft.

Suitable for HHs, absolutely. I know it's not heavy but I think the scope of musical styles and genres that HHs represents is made clear on the main page and being heavy certainly is not a requirement. As for Prince and Kate Bush not being on the site...no comment from me Glad your giving Toto a try anyway, Peter, they're some pretty cool and super talented lads.

If you're not sure whether or not a particular band falls within these constraints, just ask (realistically, it's an aesthetic judgment).

Which is , I guess, fair enough.

I think a lot of us do like Kate Bush , Genesis and similar bands/artists though. Makes me feel they are floating around that boundary?

I suspect quite a few like 'Grunge' as well, but say it very quietly.

Well I still heard you, so could you please lower your voice even lower. Please. ;)

Well I still heard you, so could you please lower your voice even lower. Please. ;)

don't hide his medicine, dude, cmon it's getting crazy here :D

OK. So back on topic.

It's really not bad. Some good tracks. But Andrew has it at 100% over at MR.

How can that be? Burn is outstanding. Some other good songs in there. However chinatown? Dreadful. Andrew describes it as genius. I'd suggest it's he that needs the meds, not me. There should be a basic songwriting rule that if you end up with whooawooha in your song there's something deeply wrong.