Toto - XIV

Stefan

I'm finally geting around to listening to this, and... well... I'm disappointed. Technically, there's nothing wrong with it, and it is unmistakably Toto, but it just leaves me flat. None of the songs really grab me.

It's no IV, that's for sure. (Heck, it's not even Tambu.)

I'll give it some more spins over time, but for now: meh.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tambu is quite good as I recall, been a while since I spin that, but this new one is definitely better and I think best after IV is a strong call but I think I agree, probably followed by 'The Seventh One' at #3

I don't mind the new album. 3 or 4 really strong tracks and none are terrible. Definitely won't make many new fans though. As for comparisons to their past albums, I'm probably not qualified to say but I doubt this would be their best since IV in my books from what I recall.

I dont think there is a weak track on it.

No, you're right. There are several. ;)

I dont think there is a weak track on it.

No, you're right. There are several. ;)

The reality is that the tracks I didnt like at first are now my favs.

I wish all albums could be like that!

Read lots of complaints over at the MR forum regarding the sound quality of the Frontiers pressing, that they overly compressed the mix, and that the Japan SHM pressing has considerably better SQ. That may be a large part of my complaint about the album: it doesn't have the sonic headroom or lushness of mix/production that previous Toto efforts have had.

It's a bad practice in general, but to do it with a Westcoast AOR album where the sonic characteristics are a MAJOR part of the aural experience, borders on criminal...

Read lots of complaints over at the MR forum regarding the sound quality of the Frontiers pressing, that they overly compressed the mix, and that the Japan SHM pressing has considerably better SQ. That may be a large part of my complaint about the album: it doesn't have the sonic headroom or lushness of mix/production that previous Toto efforts have had.

It's a bad practice in general, but to do it with a Westcoast AOR album where the sonic characteristics are a MAJOR part of the aural experience, borders on criminal...

I own the Japanese pressing and it sounds great... and I'm one of the most demanding mother ******* on this site when it comes to that stuff.

Now, is it as neutral as the original 1983 Japan for USA CD pressing of IV? Probably not as I'm sure Toto didn't break-out the same all-analog set-up for XIV that they used 34 years ago to record IV... but this one is certainly not completely brick-walled like many (most) new releases are.

Am I the only one still spinning vinyl around these parts?

It will change your life, for real. And no, you don't need a 10k set-up, but you do need more than your daddy's 1975 Panasonic all-in-one that includes an 8-track player.

Many people not-in-the-know will complain about pop and hiss... sure, if you're using a 1968 Sears ceramic cartridge and dirty, frisbee-like records. Clean vinyl with a decent amp, turntable and cart in you're in business. Sound quality is mind-blowing compared to most CD's.

Am I the only one still spinning vinyl around these parts?

I hate vinyl, i put up with it when i was a kid because i had no choice. As soon as i got a cassette player i got my mate to put all my vinyl on cassette and sold all my records to buy tapes. Then CD's came out and i ditched my tapes. Now i'm completely digital and love the convenience of it. Vinyl is a complete pain in the ass!