White Widdow - Crossfire

Stefan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, great disc and nothing even close to a filler on it. It will probably be my favourite album of the year too, with only Vega to really compete with. But it's probably a bit stronger from start to end than Vega.

I agree with many of the compliments that have been paid towards this disc, but the only thing I find myself disagreeing with so far is how easily everyone threw 'Serenade' under the bus and said this new disc is easily their best album so far. I'll confirm in about a month's time after more spins, but for the moment, the mighty 'Serenade' is still their finest hour, imo. No disrespect to the new disc, but 'Serenade' to me is a modern day classic, and an album I rate really high - into the early 90s. So, for me, it's a hard one to top, and I'm not quite sure they've done it this time. Yes, the new disc is excellent, but so is 'Serenade.' :)

The 2nd half of Serenade is weaker imo. Newie is better but not massively so - Serenade was good. So too was the debut.

As for album of the year its really close imo....ive still got 5-10 albums in the running.

Listening to this back to back with HEAT, WoA etc is it better. Not sure. Its pretty safe in places.

All marvellous albums and I aint complaining or anything lol.

my personal score

WHITE WIDDOW - s/t 80%

WHITE WIDDOW - Serenade 90%

WHITE WIDDOW - Crossfire 94%

My personal thoughts on that - insanity! ;)

I feel like 'Serenade' will be my fave solidly, and the other two will closely contest the 2nd spot... all around that 90% mark.

my personal score

WHITE WIDDOW - s/t 80%

WHITE WIDDOW - Serenade 90%

WHITE WIDDOW - Crossfire 94%

My personal thoughts on that - insanity! ;)

I feel like 'Serenade' will be my fave solidly, and the other two will closely contest the 2nd spot... all around that 90% mark.

I looked back at 2011 to see my rating for Serenade but my list wasnt scored.....it just fell outside my top 20 in what was an awesome year. So I guess it was around 80-85% which is about fair given the weaker second half (the first half is excellent).

The debut would score equally for me - say 85% each.

Havent rated the new album yet but I like it more so can imagine a score around 90% possibly higher.............

Great band for sure.

My only (slight) gripe would be the 'safe' execution of the songs....its pretty flawless stuff the way its done, but I could do with a bit more....i dunno....just let rip a bit more.....like that solo in Crossfire. Something that blows you away. If they could do that on the next album whilst maintaining the great hooks it could be as close to a 100% album as ive heard. We'll see.

I gotta ask, my man, but what the hell is the weaker second half of 'Serenade' that your crazy British version of the CD has?

The version I have features these songs:

Serenade - arguably the albums best song. Probably my fave lyrics of the entire CD, with the Dawson's Creek teen romance under the window working wonders on me... not to mention the flawless verses and chorus.

Show Your Cards - I would cater to anyone who called this their favourite song on the CD too. The most "unique" song on the disc, I love this tune so much. Probably not my typical kind of AOR, but executed flawlessly here. Massive, massive fan of this song.

Mistake - This and 'Love won't wait' would be the two most straight forward songs on the disc. Both are simple, but let's be honest. Put these two songs on most other CDs, where you don't have 8 other near-flawless songs, and they're probably going to be about the best songs on many other discs. I really like both songs for their simple melodic excellence.

Patiently - again, like 'Serenade' and 'Show your cards,' this is a huge album highlight for me. Compared to 'Honestly' by HS at the time, and for good reason. Not quite in the same league as that utterly flawless song, but not a bad effort at all. Another of my faves on the disc... killer ballad.

As for the solo on 'Crossfire,' what about the other 9? ;) And his rhythm work? Bar none, and by a long way, this dude is my favourite guitarist at the moment. Makes me excited about solos again.

I just dont really rate Show Your Cards or the ballad to be honest.....solid 8/10 songs but not flawless like the new album.

2 or 3 of 8/10 songs and you quickly see how my rating can drop to 80-85%....still a very good score from me ;-)

As for the new album the only solo which comes close to the madness of crossfire is Angel imo.....not saying that i dont rate the others, cos i do.

Well I was right, but simply guessed. 'Born To Be A Rebel' was written by Harry Hess and Stan Meissner. Was the song ever released by Harem Scarem?

Well I was right, but simply guessed. 'Born To Be A Rebel' was written by Harry Hess and Stan Meissner. Was the song ever released by Harem Scarem?

Now that you mention it, is there a demo out there by Harem Scarem of this song? Maybe not exactly the same as the White Widdow version, but I feel like I may actually have heard that one time. Wish I knew where I had those old HS demo CDRs...

Now that you mention it, is there a demo out there by Harem Scarem of this song? Maybe not exactly the same as the White Widdow version, but I feel like I may actually have heard that one time. Wish I knew where I had those old HS demo CDRs...

yes, i knew i knew that song. makes sense now.

• 1 month later...

still listen to this one on a regular basis, although there's a couple tracks I skip (some of them everytime, some of them every couple spins) but usually tracks that always end up on a cd or playlist I make are: 1, 3, 5, 7, 8 and 10 and those are just AWESOME, addictive but the rest.... not so much maybe because they fall short compared to the other 6 great tracks. I know a lot of people love ''fly me away'' and I've had this discussion with lots of friends who love it, just doesn't do it for me this is a track I skip 10 out of 10 times........ but a track like ''just another night'' or ''born to be a rebel''..... never skip those

maybe that's a new rating system I should try out, if I skip a track 5 out of 10 times it gets a 5, if I always listen to it it gets a 10, if I skip 2 out of 10 times it gets an 8 and so on...... :D

cause that's what matters in the end, you either listen to it or you don't

Just a great, great disc their best so far.

Agree!

Completely disagree. ;) Love the disc, but its number 3 in their discography, imo.

Nope, #1 for me.

But all of their albums are good.

And for the record 'Too Many Tears' is now stuck in my head.....pretty much love every track.

That song just hasn't worked for me. First time a WW song hasn't, too be honest.

It's pretty crazy that the 3rd album in their discography was my favourite album of the year. :lol:

Nope, #1 for me.

But all of their albums are good.

And for the record 'Too Many Tears' is now stuck in my head.....pretty much love every track.

That song just hasn't worked for me. First time a WW song hasn't, too be honest.

It's pretty crazy that the 3rd album in their discography was my favourite album of the year. :lol:

i wasnt sold at first, but the verses are pure perfection and that chorus just gets in the head.

Still not questioning it being my fav of 2014. I like all their releases but this one is their strongest but some more massive solos like the one 'Angel' would have been nice.

Sitting here typing, I can sing/remember each chorus from every song on this one....I can't do that for any other release in 2014.

• My Little Pony

Sitting here typing, I can sing/remember each chorus from every song on this one....I can't do that for any other release in 2014.

I can't do that for any release. The only albums I might could sing most choruses would be the one I ranked as my number one album of the year, and maybe Harem Scarem.

There was simply too much music this year for me to listen to them that much.

Still not questioning it being my fav of 2014. I like all their releases but this one is their strongest but some more massive solos like the one 'Angel' would have been nice.

I can for Seven as well........and 90% of WoA.