White Widdow - Crossfire

Stefan

This sounds like the follow up that should have been after the Harem Scarem debut, not that Mood Swings wasn't awesome, but this sounds so much like the debut. The backing vocals in the choruses are insanely wicked. Even the vocals are stronger and remind me of early 90's Harry Hess at times.

The tracks Just Another Night, Dreams Don't Lie, Born To Be A Rebel and Never Again sound like so much like debut or demo era HS it's crazy!

This will surely be one of the best of the year.

Check it out in the showcase over at Melodicrock

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• My Little Pony

This sounds like the follow up that should have been after the Harem Scarem debut, not that Mood Swings wasn't awesome, but this sounds so much like the debut. The backing vocals in the choruses are insanely wicked. Even the vocals are stronger and remind me of early 90's Harry Hess at times.

The tracks Just Another Night, Dreams Don't Lie, Born To Be A Rebel and Never Again sound like so much like debut or demo era HS it's crazy!

This will surely be one of the best of the year.

Check it out in the showcase over at Melodicrock

Hmm...

Maybe I will have to give these guys a third chance.

I won't have time to listen to any samples tonight, but I have no doubt this will be absolutely killer and in my top 5 at the end of the year. I've personally loved the first two albums and think these guys know their craft, and they know their craft well. This and Wigelius have been my most anticipated releases all year (after Steel Panther was out) and they still are today.

Holy macarone those White Widdow samples are stunning. 10 perfectly constructed hooks. Reminds me of the HS debut. If those solos smoke this might end up being my fav release of the whole year. Sounds like perfect melodic rock to me. Roll on Nov. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Poison99

It sounds like the album release might be delayed until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Apparently a shipment of their CDs got held up by customs, although it's not clear to me if those were destined for Australia, as their website says that Crossfire is only available digitally here (I hope that's not true, as I really want a physical copy). In any event, it shouldn't be far away now.

Additionally, I went to the Crossfire album launch last night and it was excellent. A good turnout at The Espy in St Kilda - I'd estimate around 150-200. They played a handful of songs from the new album, including the title track and another great song called Below the Belt. AOR bands are a rarity in Australia (Candy Harlots, anyone?) with AC/DC-influenced pub rock being much more popular, and I'm too young to have seen many in their prime, so it is such a privilege to see these guys at the top of their game. Hopefully they play some more shows locally or set off on a national tour soon. Every time I see them I am astonished their music hasn't garnered more exposure.

I'd also love to see Jules bring Tigertailz out here. The official website says they've lined up Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane tours, but as yet there's no announcement as to dates.

It sounds like the album release might be delayed until Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Apparently a shipment of their CDs got held up by customs, although it's not clear to me if those were destined for Australia, as their website says that Crossfire is only available digitally here (I hope that's not true, as I really want a physical copy). In any event, it shouldn't be far away now.

Additionally, I went to the Crossfire album launch last night and it was excellent. A good turnout at The Espy in St Kilda - I'd estimate around 150-200. They played a handful of songs from the new album, including the title track and another great song called Below the Belt. AOR bands are a rarity in Australia (Candy Harlots, anyone?) with AC/DC-influenced pub rock being much more popular, and I'm too young to have seen many in their prime, so it is such a privilege to see these guys at the top of their game. Hopefully they play some more shows locally or set off on a national tour soon. Every time I see them I am astonished their music hasn't garnered more exposure.

I'd also love to see Jules bring Tigertailz out here. The official website says they've lined up Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane tours, but as yet there's no announcement as to dates.

Not released yet is it?

Yes it is.

From FB:

A huge thank you to everyone that came out to see us at The Espy in St.Kilda last night, it was a great night and was fantastic to be back on stage and playing songs from the new album! Thanks to all the bands for being easy to work with and putting on great shows. Our new album is available NOW from www.aorheaven.com See you all again soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing album, I think this might be their best so far, probably more mature and Glen is spot on about the HAREM SCAREM debut comparison. In fact, maybe they're 'trying' too hard to sound like early HAREM SCAREM especially the harmony haha but that's fine by me. First impression score landed on 94%, exact same point as WOA 'Framework' but I might prefer WOA a bit so probably this will sit on #3 by the end of year.

Recommended !

Haven't heard this yet but I was playing the first two yesterday in preparation. Goddamn I love this band. The debut is absolutely magnificent, and you'd not think it possible, but they solidly topped it with 'Serenade.' Can't wait to hear if they do the impossible and actually top what is arguably untoppable.

Really can't wait to hear it.

Haven't heard this yet but I was playing the first two yesterday in preparation. Goddamn I love this band. The debut is absolutely magnificent, and you'd not think it possible, but they solidly topped it with 'Serenade.' Can't wait to hear if they do the impossible and actually top what is arguably untoppable.

Serenade was pretty easily toppable imo, and judging by the samples the new album will eclipse It...............

I did love the debut tho :-)

Serenade was pretty easily toppable imo, and judging by the samples the new album will eclipse It...............

I did love the debut tho :-)

ps............. i foolishly ordered free delivery on amazon and have a delivery date of sat...grr. hey ho only another day or so. sure it will be worth the wait :-)

I know I throw around comments like 'best of the year', 'top 3 for sure', 'gonna be tough to beat' all the time.....but this time I'm serious, the new White Widdow is my personal favorite release 2014. For most of the year H.E.A.T. held that title, however I can't deny the insane resemblance 'Crossfire' has to the Harem Scarem debut, one of my all time fav releases.

This is probably my favorite release since The Magnificent in 2011. It is near perfect to my ears.

2014 has been a great year and a standout release seemed tough to pick out....Not anymore!

Here is my personal track by track review....I say nothing about the songs, I just need to share my excitement.

1. Caught In The Crossfire - This is the most typical White Widdow track on this one. Sounds like it was lifted straight off the debut. Solid track and a great heavy riff, however put your seatbelt on because the following 9 tracks blow this one out of the water. 8.5/10

2. Fly Me Away - The keys kick in, the guitars are blazing and 1990 just came back to give you a treat. The chorus is fabulous and will stick to your brain for days. 9.5/10

3. Just Another Night - The first of the 'Harem Scarem should have done it back in 1992' tracks to be found on this one. The chorus is simply awesome and pure debut HS. Perfect! 10/10

4. Below The Belt - Great 80's vibe to this one with the Bon Jovi keys. The chorus is solid and this sound like something from some 1986 teenage movie soundtrack. 9/10

5. Dreams Don't Die - OMG! Not sure what to say here, the song is melodic rock bliss with another pure HS debut chorus from the Heavens. Perfect...again! 10/10

6. Too Many Tears - I can't stop singing the chorus, another absolute winner. 9.5/10

7. Angel - The pace of the verses are the best on the album and the solo is the finest one, however the chorus seems a little restrained...but the track still kills. 9.5/10

8. Born To Be A Rebel - Harry Hess and Pete Lesperance must have written this one back in 1990, it is so debut HS that I can't believe what I'm hearing...I swear Harry is even doing the vocals in parts of the chorus. Sure the lyrics are cheese, but who gives a shit, the chorus is epic melodic rock bliss. yet again another perfect track. 10/10

9. Carry The Heartache - They slow it down a bit at this point....which is good because I was struggling to breath. A mid tempo track, almost ballad territory. The chorus is splendid and the keys and guitars are lush. Awesome! 9.5/10

10. Never Again - By this time I've run out of underwear and screamed at my computer a dozen or so times at how awesome this release is....time for a bump in the road, right? ...HELL NO! They kept the best one for last...four and a half minutes of melodic rock glory. The chorus is yet again pure HS debut and closes out beautifully this near perfect album. 10/10

Crossfire blows away the band's first two releases. I'll be honest I love the new Harem Scarem but White Widdow do on this release what I've been waiting for from HS since the debut back in 1991.

Nice review and not far from the truth except for saying that caught in the crossfire is the weakest song. Are you insane? That is a freakin killer track.

I love Angel & Never Again as well but theres not really a weak moment.

There HS debut is a solid reference but I also hear a lot of prime era FM too.