Loverboy - Unfinished Business

Stefan

These guys are great, that album from a few years back that I can't recall the name of was magic. :-)

If you are talking about "Just Getting Started" I couldn't agree with you more. I have 2 copies of that one... One stays in my car all the time. It's a great driving CD.

Yep that's the one...couldn't think of the album name. That album was incredible IMO, played the heck out of it when it came out and it still gets a go every now and then at my place.

Production on the lead single sound pretty ropey. Style of the song is very similar to just gettin started but it sounds more like a demo to me.

Pity.

The song is excellent. Hopefully it will sound better when we have it blaring out of the stereo..those tinny drums are worrying.

Those who don't know where to find the new song:

http://kool.cbslocal.com/2014/06/19/loverboy-still-working-for-the-weekend/

As for the sound / production... Don't get me started on this subject or I'll be dropping four-letter words all day.

Paul Dean mentioned in a recent article the band basically lived at Little Mountain Sound Studio in Vancouver for six straight months during the recording of their debut, but now he records everything on his laptop and that it's "Much better." Bullshit it is!

That Les Paul sounds dead on this tune, drums are weak, backing vocals are lacking, etc. Don't get me wrong, I dig the vibe, but the production sucks dikks. So typical of of today's recordings. I have 8-Track tapes that sound better than much of the stuff released now-a-days. Listen to a Steely Dan album on the TURNTABLE if you want to know how things should and could sound.

Effing iPod generation pisses me off to no end. But I'm still looking forward to new Loverboy material, anyway.

Wow! That track sounds like shit. Frontiers should sign these guys and save the Loverboy name. I loved 'Just Getting Started' but now I'm thinking they should have called it 'Just About To End'

That can't be the final product. Can it?

There's no backing vocals... no guitar fills, no bombastic keyboards...

**** me I hope this is not the finished product. I swear to God if you gave me a 4-track system from the 80's and let me have all (5) guys in the room at the same time I could make them sound better than this.

You CANNOT capture great sonics when recording, mixing, producing and editing on a Samsung Galaxy. Leave that shit for text messaging.

• 3 weeks later...
As for the sound / production... Don't get me started on this subject or I'll be dropping four-letter words all day.

Yeah, same here. The sound is awful which is too bad since the songs are otherwise good.

Wow. This sounds even worse than I was expecting. I get that these are demos as the title suggests, but they'd have a good album here if they'd actually "finished" them.

Doods, I'm going to have to go against the grain here and say I don't mind the sound quality at all. I've heard many worse finished products. Yeah, these aren't fully polished, but they sound good to me. The thing that automatically kills a song for me, production-wise, is when the drums sound piss weak, which they don't hear. And it's all held together pretty well, imo.

Unfortunately, it's not all good news, though. The sound quality is fine, but I'm not really sold on the songs for the most part. A few okay ones, but I can see why they're leftovers of sorts. I'll spin it more, but first spin left me a little unimpressed with the tunes on offer.

Damn, Loverboy had an opportunity here, too... or did they? "Just Getting Started" was AWESOME, and nobody outside this forum bought it.

Those of us from the 80's who are now in our 40's... times they have-a changed, my friends. Journey hasn't released more than a few decent tracks in 15 years... and have a replacement lead vocalist... and put 16,000 asses in the seats the other night when I saw them here outside Portland, Oregon... and they were fantastic as per ususal!

Full-length albums are DEAD outside our little niche. Glad I grew-up when I did... they cannot take away my memories.

I agree here with Geoff on the sound quality of this. I was expecting the worst after hearing a few sound bytes and some comments, but when I fired this up on the stereo, the production, although a little raw and unpolished on a couple of tracks ( 'Ain't Such A bad Thing' suffers from crackles throughout, albeit being a good tune) it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of this at all and the rest sound pretty damned fine for the most part. There are some really very good songs on here and it is really cool to hear some of these old 'Outtakes' from various sessions, especially noteable are 'Fire Me Up', 'Countin' The Nights' (cracking track) ''Come Undone', 'War Bride' (obviously a very early Loverboy track, but very cool to my ears) and the excellent two closers ''You Play The Star' and 'Crack Of The Whip'.which sound like sessions from the debut album. So far from the disaster I was half expecting and a very very enjoyable disc over all.

I agree here with Geoff on the sound quality of this. I was expecting the worst after hearing a few sound bytes and some comments, but when I fired this up on the stereo, the production, although a little raw and unpolished on a couple of tracks ( 'Ain't Such A bad Thing' suffers from crackles throughout, albeit being a good tune) it doesn't take away from my enjoyment of this at all and the rest sound pretty damned fine for the most part. There are some really very good songs on here and it is really cool to hear some of these old 'Outtakes' from various sessions, especially noteable are 'Fire Me Up', 'Countin' The Nights' (cracking track) ''Come Undone', 'War Bride' (obviously a very early Loverboy track, but very cool to my ears) and the excellent two closers ''You Play The Star' and 'Crack Of The Whip'.which sound like sessions from the debut album. So far from the disaster I was half expecting and a very very enjoyable disc over all.

Agreed...I will pick this one up....

• 2 weeks later...

Only one spin so far and I too don't see a big problem with the production and sound quality...I've heard a lot worse than this. Backing vocals are needed in places but the songs are mostly pretty good.

Well looks like I'll have to update my Loverboy collection after words from Jez while last visiting and after all the positive remarks here. I lost track after Wildside so I guess I'll get the last two releases at least.

Been playing this one a bit and I really am enjoying the album. Some excellent tunes on here all with that distinctive Loverboy style. I can't imagine too many fans of the band will be disappointed though going off earlier comments maybe I am wrong. Not up to the standard of 'Just Getting Started" but regardless I think it's a worthwhile release.