Def Leppard - Slang (2 CD reissue)

Stefan

New 2 CD version of the "classic" ( ;)) release 'Slang' out February 10th. Darker than most of Def's output but I like it anyway.

I guess Jez will not be that excited...

slang.jpg

Tracklist:

Disc 1
01. Truth?
02. Turn to Dust
03. Slang
04. All I Want Is Everything
05. Work It Out
06. Breathe a Sigh
07. Deliver Me
08. Gift Of Flesh
09. Blood Runs Cold
10. Where Does Love Go When It Dies
11. Pearl of Euphoria
12. Move With Me Slowly
13. Truth? (Original Version)
14. Burn Out
15. Worlds Collide
16. Can’t Keep Away From The Flame

Disc 2
01. Turn To Dust (1st Draft)
02. Raise Your Love
03. All I Want Is Everything (1st Draft)
04. Work It Out (1st Draft)
05. Breathe A Sigh (Rough Mix)
06. Deliver Me (Rough Mix)
07. Black Train
08. Blood Runs Cold (Rough Mix)
09. Where Does Love Go When It Dies (1st Draft)
10. Pearl Of Euphoria (Rough Mix)
11. All On Your Touch (2012 Revisit)
12. Anger Me (Deliver Me -1st Draft)
13. Move On Up (Viv Demo)
14. Gift Oof Flesh (Phil Vocal)

I heard about this a few weeks ago, and dont really see any point in upgrading my version as it already came with a bonus live CD, and most of the tracks I already have as b-sides.
There is a couple of tracks on disc 2 that I dont recognise, but still nowhere near enough reason to buy this album again, especially as it was never one of their best anyway. Some really good songs on it, but some proper duffers as well.

I heard about this a few weeks ago, and dont really see any point in upgrading my version as it already came with a bonus live CD, and most of the tracks I already have as b-sides.

There is a couple of tracks on disc 2 that I dont recognise, but still nowhere near enough reason to buy this album again, especially as it was never one of their best anyway. Some really good songs on it, but some proper duffers as well.

Agreed :)

I always loved this album so I am definitely interested. There are a couple of tunes that I go "eh" to but most of them are really good. I think since it was different, most panned this album but to me its better than anything released after 1992.

Never liked this CD so I won't be getting this.I much prefer Euphoria,the CD they released after this one.

For me it seemed like scraps from the already semi-crappy Adrenalize. I haven't spun this one in years...

Euphoria and Adrenalize piss on this album. Both those albums I can listen to all the way through, Slang I nearly always either listened to it with skipping tracks back when I listened to CDs all the time, or these days select a few tracks in a playlist.

Granted, compared to X its a work of art, and I would put it above Sparkle lounge as well, but thats about it.

Stef..Not that excited mate it must be said. Not exactly my fave Lepp disc. I already have the 2 disc with the acoustic bonus disc, so will probably stay with that.

File this under "least essential reissue of the week"...

I actually like every track. Some of their best ballads are on the album as well, semi dark album.

I wouldn't take a piss on Euphoria. Adrenalize was ok when it came out but doesn't stand up over time. Let's Get Rocked? Seriously!

The best tracks on that album were the Japanese ones that ended up on Retroactive.

• 4 weeks later...

For fans of this disc:

DEF LEPPARD has reissued "Slang" in a Deluxe Edition available on three formats: a double CD, vinyl LP and Digital.
The special iTunes version has everything from the regular release, plus a further set of additional bonus tracks exclusive to this retailer.

What we have here is interesting working demos of "Truth?", "Work It Out" and "All I Want Is Everything", a version of "Move With Me Slowly" with Phil Collen doing some lead vocals, and two tracks provided by Def Leppard for Jeff Beck Tribute Album 'Jeffology'.

Perhaps the most precious are the two songs composed and performed by the band for the British movie 'When Saturday Comes' (1996) and produced by Joe Elliott: "Jimmy's Theme" and the title track "When Saturday Comes".
With these 8 iTunes bonuses, "Slang Deluxe Edition" packs a mammoth bunch of 38 tracks in total.

31/38 - Truth? (Demo)
32/38 - Work It Out (Demo)
33/38 - All I Want Is Everything (Demo)
34/38 - Move With Me Slowly (Phil Chorus Vocal)
35/38 - When Saturday Comes ('When Saturday Comes' OST)
36/38 - Jimmy's Theme ('When Saturday Comes' OST)
37/38 - Cause We Ended As Lovers (Tribute Album 'Jeffology')
38/38 - Led Boots (From the Jeff Beck Tribute Album 'Jeffology')

This release reminds me of Tesla's Reet-to-Real releases. You got a bonus disc if you bought it at Store-X and a bonus bonus disc if you went to a show. It ended up being like 3 volumes of covers when it originally was a single disc.

It's just barely an ok album in my book. The 80's Def Leppard sound inspired numerous bands and then they go and release something like this. I was hoping there would be some real gems on the bonus disc but to me it's packed with a lot of extra nothing.

Why can't they do this with High N Dry or Pyromania?

They did :) sort of.

They did Pyromania, Hysteria and Adrenalize.

Well, like you said, kind of, Pyromania had a live disc but not demos. I think the others also didn't have demos.

Problem with this vs those is that most of the songs on Slangs bonus disc were single b-sides etc, so for the most part are stuff that has already been available for years anyway.

I reckon that Retroactive is probably as close as we will get to getting hold of the demos from the earlier albums.

Problem with this vs those is that most of the songs on Slangs bonus disc were single b-sides etc, so for the most part are stuff that has already been available for years anyway.

I reckon that Retroactive is probably as close as we will get to getting hold of the demos from the earlier albums.

Yeah and that was my point. I think they have released most of what they can. I love those Uk two cd pressings tho. The Whitesnake and Dio ones are awesome as well. I believe Anthrax Among the Living was done as well.