JAMES LABRIE - Impermanent Resonance (2013)

Nightrain

51mtKudguRL._SY355__PJautoripBadge,Botto

• Audio CD (29 July 2013)
  • Number of Discs: 1
  • Format: Extra tracks
  • Label: Century Media

1. Agony
2. Undertow
3. Slight Of Hand
4. Back On The Ground
5. I Got You
6. Holding On
7. Lost In The Fire
8. Letting Go
9. Destined To Burn
10. Say You're Still Mine
11. Amnesia
12. I Will Not Break
13. Unravelling
14. Why

This album is quite similar with his previous effort, but I see he's taking a more commercial approach, probably to penetrate more casual listeners, although he and his band still retain the anger and heaviness of the songs, and with some growly singing, I see a slight lean toward the melodic death genre. I must say, nothing sounds like DREAM THEATER at all here, not any trace of prog, instead for some people, the growly with modern touch might remind them of some metalcore stuffs.

I like the first two tracks instantly. 'Agony' sounds very melodic at the chorus and 'Undertow' is also easily accessible, but only if you can get past the growly part. 'Slight of Hand' is quite sloppy but then the midtempo ballad, 'Back On The Ground' regain the momentum. There are three more radio friendly tracks here such as 'Holding On', 'Lost In The Fire', and 'Say You're Still Mine', both are great tracks though I still can't give any of em a 9/10. Sadly, the rest are quite safe and perhaps stays around 7 to 7.5, and 'Letting Go' is the weakest track here, sound like a nu-metal left over.

I must say, for me, replay value is quite low here, maybe because despite many of strong tracks, I will get bored easily spinning the whole album. I still prefer DREAM THEATER's last album, and his sophomore solo is slightly better than this. Still a good effort by him.

76%

• 1 month later...

I really cannot believe the negative review by Nightrain here...............

This album is fantastic!

I listened to whole thing yesterday and it rocked my world......amazing musicianship, soaring melodic choruses.

I was stunned....easily one of the best albums ive heard in 2013.

This album is fantastic!

I listened to whole thing yesterday and it rocked my world......amazing musicianship, soaring melodic choruses.

I don't see a lot of negativity in my review except that the modern metal approach he's taking isn't really my fave tea hence the low replay value that affect the whole score. 76% still reflects a good album, but not great as a whole for me, although it still shows an appreciation towards many strong tracks that I also have stated. Maybe because his vocal is too attached to DT in my mind, and perhaps a little bit of melodic era of WINTER ROSE, but not modern metal.

I'll try to invest more time later, but considering that the new DT is about to hit my ear, I think I'm interested to explore that first :)

This album is fantastic!

Probably best that I don't listen to it and post my opinion then... :whistle:

;)

So ... the annoying thing is that I've listened to the song and unexpectedly love the chorus. I don't like the rest of the song much, especially the vocals, but the chorus is great!

Probably they should focus on the growl and leave Labrie out for you James :D

He he. Yeah, that would work! :banger:

(Strangely, I'm not that keen on the growling in this song. I don't like the clean vocals in the verses either, but everything comes together really nicely for the chorus.)

Probably they should focus on the growl and leave Labrie out for you James :D

He he. Yeah, that would work! :banger:

(Strangely, I'm not that keen on the growling in this song. I don't like the clean vocals in the verses either, but everything comes together really nicely for the chorus.)

strangely from about track 5 onwards there is no growling at all (although the growling isnt that bad actually....you can at least understand the words)

Try 'I Got You' or 'Amnesia'....... those 2 are awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

This album is awesome. Each spin I like it better than the last. I admit I was a bit put off by the modern metal approach but I like it now.

This album is awesome. Each spin I like it better than the last. I admit I was a bit put off by the modern metal approach but I like it now.

Awesome. That is all.

& 2 of the best ballads Ive heard this year.

I'd take this over DT any day ;-)

Backed, for sure. I can't make it through DT albums but I really dig this thing. There were times on this disc I was reminded of bands like Dead By April. Obviously, though, this has far less growls. But it has that similar flawless production, heavy verses and super melodic/catchy choruses. Very good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the perfect storm, blending awesome melodic modern metal with one of the greatest voices on the planet.

Stunning! One of the years best.

Backed, for sure. I can't make it through DT albums but I really dig this thing. There were times on this disc I was reminded of bands like Dead By April. Obviously, though, this has far less growls. But it has that similar flawless production, heavy verses and super melodic/catchy choruses. Very good stuff.

Oh dear ... I think I'm going to agree with Glen and Geoff - must be a first. This sounds very good. I hate Dream Theater, but the songs here sound top notch.

Oh dear ... I think I'm going to agree with Glen and Geoff - must be a first. This sounds very good. I hate Dream Theater, but the songs here sound top notch.

finally you are seeing the light ;-)

• 1 month later...

After several spins, I think this will be in my top 5 or 6 for 2013. Really good album, with 2 absolutely killer tunes and plenty of other good ones. Great stuff.

One of the killers is above ('Undertow'); this is the other one:

• 3 months later...

Just to revisit this one, probably the most under-rated disc of 2013, imo. I really f*cking love this thing, been spinning it a lot lately. The biggest compliment I can pay this album in terms of comparison, is that this actually reminds me of one of my all time favourite CDs - 'The One' by Silly Fools. It's heavier for sure, but it just has that same vibe, to me. I really love this disc and just find it the perfect blend of heaviness, melody and amazing lead vocals. Just killer.

This song is just about as good as it gets imo ('it' meaning music in general, not just this disc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6eKl8xSipQ

• 6 years later...

It has been time to re-visit this one for the past week and what a stunning album it still is. Each play through since its release still hits, perfect blend of melody and metal. 

All killer no filler.. Seriously awesome album.

Hmmm, my link above doesn't look great above. But I relished the opportunity to open this thread so I could listen to this again. Goddamn I love this song;

The whole second verse is just one of the most perfectly constructed things I've ever heard. I love the line "I want to speak but I hate the words" so much for whatever reason. And the "two pages in a hopeless fairytale" line in the chorus gets me every time. Brilliant song. 

Edited by Geoff

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 12:47 PM, Geoff said:

Hmmm, my link above doesn't look great above. But I relished the opportunity to open this thread so I could listen to this again. Goddamn I love this song;

The whole second verse is just one of the most perfectly constructed things I've ever heard. I love the line "I want to speak but I hate the words" so much for whatever reason. And the "two pages in a hopeless fairytale" line in the chorus gets me every time. Brilliant song. 

Love that song Geoff - Whole album is brilliant. Packed with great hooks and vocal melodies. It’s one of those that I still play regularly despite its 2013 release.