Studio Magic - Who Could Pull It Off Live? Who Could Not?

T-BONE

So many times I'd go to a concert and hope to hear what I heard on the album and would be totally disgusted, usually by the vocalist.

Who were the best and worst in your opinions? I'm looking for bands in their heyday, not 25 years ago versus now

One of the better ones I felt where the could sound very crisp in concert was Kiss... Paul and Gene both pulled off their vocals and sounded pretty good. I understand it's still "live" and there's a few changes to the way things were sung due to them running around, etc....

One of the WORST was GNR when they played with Metallica in 1991 or so.... Axl had me cringing and the band itself was very sloppy

Bands I've seen who can pull it off:

AC/DC - a lot of their songs are better live imo and Johnson still does pretty well (seen them 2001 and 2009).

Bon Jovi

Koritni

Crazy Lixx

Bands that can't:

Mötley Crüe - Vince Neil's vocals were simply embarassing in 2009 and judging from old clips it wasn't that much better in their heyday.

Ratt was another band that couldn't pull off vocals live... The band itself was decent, but Pearcy is tone deaf.

Maybe it was an off night for them, but when I saw Y & T back in '85 they really couldn't pull it off live. Meniketti was fine, but Leonard Haze was a TERRIBLE drummer, rushed like a motherfucker. Always sounded okay on the studio stuff (maybe had a click-track going), but jeezus, he was really lame in concert. Watch the Y & T Live in San Francisco video (if you can find it -- it might be on YouTube) and you can hear what I mean.

The one time I saw The Cult they absolutely sucked. Total disappointment.

I will find out if they still have it on Sunday Keef! Going to see them in Fargo, ND. Saw them on the In Justice For All tour w/ Metallica and they sucked. Saw them headline the Sonic Temple Tour and they were awesome!

Saw Queensryche on halloween night 1990 and they were awesome,the played the entire empire album and it sounded just as good as the cd(or cassette as it was back then :) )

Tesla a few years back in dublin were pretty good also.

I also saw The Cult open for Metallica back on the Justice tour & they were very solid. The crowd was lame, but they weren't there to see them of course. Every time I've seen Leppard they were awesome...vocals, harmonies, guitar licks were all spot on. Cinderella is another band that has ALWAYS sounded fantastic live...back then & today. Hands down lamest live band ever is Poison. Sloppy guitar, sloppy vocals, sloppy show. I still don't understand how they got as big as they did.

I will find out if they still have it on Sunday Keef! Going to see them in Fargo, ND. Saw them on the In Justice For All tour w/ Metallica and they sucked. Saw them headline the Sonic Temple Tour and they were awesome!

I saw'em opening for Metallica too ... and the performance was abysmal enough that even though I love 'em on record, I swore they were never gonna get a dime out of me for a live gig again.

I hope for your sake they've gotten their shit together in the past quarter century. :D)

Queensryche

AC/DC

So what did you think of the Fargo show?

So what did you think of the Fargo show?

I thought they sounded great. I would have chosen a better setlist in addition to playing Electric. At least Ian was sober and Duffy was great on guitar. I really enjoyed the show.

In their prime (Between "Alied Forces" and "The Sport Of Kings") Triumph was absolutely amazing. Each time I saw them I had goose bumps the whole show.

Stryper always is able to pull off a great sounding live show. I'd also have to say Heaven's Edge, TNT, and The Outfield sounded exceptionaly good back in the day.

Saw Queensryche on halloween night 1990 and they were awesome,the played the entire empire album and it sounded just as good as the cd(or cassette as it was back then :) )

Tesla a few years back in dublin were pretty good also.

Tesla has never disappointed live. From the 80's to present day. Always a great show!

Axl Rose, Vince Neil, and David Lee Roth all are tied for me as vocalists that were HORRIBLE in concert. Absolutely atrocious!!

:rofl2::cussing::sm164:

Saw DLR for the SKYSCRAPER tour and thought he was great!