Garrison - The Demo Recordings (limited 500 copies)

Stefan

I had to do a separate thread on this.

Out next week from AOR Heaven.

Garrison%20cover.jpg

From AOR Heaven's newsletter:

Based in West Fife and started in the early 80's Garrison went on to be one of the best rock bands to come out of Scotland and toured extensively with the likes of Dare, Thunder, and Ian Gillan. Between 1988 and 1991 the band recorded a bunch of great demos which attracted Atlantic Records to offer them a deal. The band started recording their debut in 1990, but the upcoming Grunge wave put everything to rest. What a pity, cause we’re talking about fantastic British AOR stuff next to TOBRUK, FM, SHY or HEAVY PETTIN. Limited edition of 500 copies – don’t miss it!

Like I said in the other thread if the sound quality is good, this'll be the best thing that happens in 2013.

Well I've heard about 3 or 4 tracks and they were pretty good. Pretty typical for the era really.

If the sound quality is good it will be worth a look but demo recordings don't fill me with glee.

• 2 weeks later...

They mastered it off the Time Warp recordings. LOL. There's NOTHING legit about that release my friends. Love Georg but please...

Are you referring to the new Garrison CD? (I wasn't sure what you meant by "that release".)

Wondering whether I need this one ... if the sound quality is good, it's a must, but...

They mastered it off the Time Warp recordings. LOL. There's NOTHING legit about that release my friends. Love Georg but please...

Are you referring to the new Garrison CD? (I wasn't sure what you meant by "that release".)

Wondering whether I need this one ... if the sound quality is good, it's a must, but...

but u know the sound quality will not be good.........the clue is in the word 'demo' ;-)

but u know the sound quality will not be good.........the clue is in the word 'demo' ;-)

He he. Yeah, good point. I just thought there might be some magical technical wizardry done to make them sound great ... and I know nothing about these things!

Got mine today,well packaged with an 8 page booklet containing pics of the band and bio,very nicely done,the sound quality is better than the old demo cd-r I had,cleaned up well but still as it says on the tin,it is demos,just nice to have a cd that the band helped with and gave permission to instead of my old cd-r...tracklisting is:

1.Are You Ready

2.Oh Mama

3.I Will Be There

4.Rock It

5.Give Me Love

6.Stay With Me(Tonight)

7.Hold Back The Night

8.Lies

9.Too Far Gone

10.Never Let It Go

11.Here I Am

12.Out Of Luck

13.Strange Kind Of Love

haven't had a chance to completely listen to this as Ive just got home and given it a quick spin.oh and btw it isn't on AOR Heavens label,its on a label called Street Legacy Records.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I never got a physical copy of this one either. I wish I had, but I have to admit I was disappointed with the track selection, and also the sound quality of the tracks that were selected was not far off the demos I already own.

The thing with this band is they kind of "did a Treat" and countless other bands. They had a really ridiculously melodic, basically perfect sound and recorded a lot of songs in this style. But then, must have been around 1991-1993, like a lot of really awesome melodic rock bands, they opted to strip back their style and go for a really average/basic style instead.

So whilst half their songs are literally perfect (from the early era) there are also a bunch of average songs too (from their later years). Sadly, this release featured more of their weaker songs than it needed to do. And gems were missed. But above all, sound quality is still so poor. :(

• 6 months later...
Guest mb910799

Hi Guys.......just found this on the web and want to clarify a few things. We.....Garrison are back together and playing again. The demos we released were on Steel Legacy Records and them only. All the others are not authorised by the band so will be interesting to see how many people actually have a copy on a different label. Here is our Facebook page if anyone wants to get in touch with offers of a cd release or gig offers, or who just want to know about the band.

https://www.facebook.com/garrisonfife

is it time for another reissue of the demos, perhaps a new track listing ? :)

Absolutely ?

Just to echo the other Garrison thread in the music videos section...

Hey guys, good to hear you're back together. In recent years there have been several bands from "your era" that have reformed to re-record their older material, with a nice new shiny production job. Just wondering if this is something Garrison would ever consider?

As cool as the collection of demos is, it's still a collection of demos and demos only have a limited replay value. And also, a lot of your earlier songs - the real pure melodic rock / AOR tunes - were excluded from the official release in place of some of the stuff recorded a little later, which was different in style and personally, for me, not as brilliant as the earlier stuff.

I know there'd be a lot of fans out there who would love to see you re-record those old gems in your archives. Is there any remote chance it may ever happen?

I couldn't agree more. Those early Garrison songs are some of the best songs I have ever had the pleasure of hearing and are certainly IMO the best songs in existence that are in need of re recording and/or remastering. As Geoff noted the recent Garrison CD left off a whole bunch of their best songs. With a bit of polish and a better track selection, Garrison could release one of the best AOR / melodic hard rock CDs ever! Incredible songs guys!!!! There is definitely a LOT of interest in AOR & melodic rock circles surrounding Garrison so hopefully high quality recordings of all the tracks do surface some day. It would be criminal not to do these songs justice. And on a side note are their any more songs / demos out there that haven't been mentioned early in this thread? Oh and is there any old band pics or pics of the original demo cassettes to look at?

Great work Garrison and it's really cool to hear your back playing. Cheers.

• 4 months later...