Pink Cream 69 - Ceremonial

Stefan

Wasted Years, Special, Big Machine, Passage Of Time were the ones that stuck out for me the first time through.

Subsequent spins found a few more growers. Then probably 2-3 fillers.

Overall a very good release IMO.

Though I find this album good (almost great), I think it's not very consistent because there are almost half average tracks, possibly grower, but didn't find much after 2 spins though, like the first track, 'Land of Confusion', or 'Find Your Soul', 'Right or Wrong', and 'Superman'. 'Passage of Time' and 'I Came To Rock' are satisfying but not great enough.

Best track here for me is the commercial mid-paced track, 'King For One Day', and I like the riffs-fest on 'Wasted Years' and 'Big Machine', both are awesome tracks. 'The Tide' is also a nice power ballad but did anyone notice that the chorus is like a modern rock track, maybe fits to be in Daughtry or David Cook album? :D

I'll try spin it again later and see if this actually can reach the 80% mark, I love most of the guitar and solo part, especially on 'Big Machine' which I think has modern Whitesnake feel. And 'Let The Thunder Roll' is a bit patchy on verse, but the bridge is great and the chorus I think is pretty nice too, I'll see if that track is getting better or not later on. 'Ceremonial' is an okay buy I guess but won't make anywhere near the top 20 I guess.

78%

Yeah but the last 2 both had a spattering of killer tracks which this one doesn't - very middle of the road.

I reckon I'll be the opposite. I thought that the last 2 CDs were both very solid, but basically lacking too many stand out killer tracks - maybe a handful on the last one, I think? Even on my first spin of this, I heard at least 4-5 great tracks that really stood out to me. Names to follow, after more spins.

Yeah but the last 2 both had a spattering of killer tracks which this one doesn't - very middle of the road.

I reckon I'll be the opposite. I thought that the last 2 CDs were both very solid, but basically lacking too many stand out killer tracks - maybe a handful on the last one, I think? Even on my first spin of this, I heard at least 4-5 great tracks that really stood out to me. Names to follow, after more spins.

Yeah I've only spun it once (been very ill). Guess I was just a bit disappointed on first spin - was hoping for a few killers after 6 years (you know like One Step Into Paradise type stuff?).

Songs like Special, Wasted Years & Passage Of Time are promising though so I hope this will grow.

Woahh, I actually agree with a comment from MetallionStallion (might be the first time ever lol) -

IMO this release is slightly lower on the PC69 bar than 'In10sity (2007)' and a solid step behind their creme of the Readman era' crop 'Electrified (1998)' & 'Sonic Dynamite (2000)'. In fact as far as song writing and catchy/consistent tracks I would put up 'David Readman S/T (2007)' above any PC69 album in the last decade. Hopefully he will have a follow-up. Back to this album, I'm not big on the modern sounding track 'Special' which has some annoying voice over dubs by some dingbat. Probably a girlfriend of one of the band members to make her 'ONE' with the band. 'Land of Confusion' is a strong opener, but after repeated listens 'Ceremonial' doesn't have that one or two stunner tracks that keeps me coming back for more. Good, but I expected more after a 5+ year hiatus.

I was thinking about Readman's solo disc the other day. I'd love to hear a 2nd one.

YES!

Someone should merge this thread with the other one at Heavy Metal

Sorry my fault again - this was the first one I found. Is PC69 really heavy metal??

I agree with Glen. Is it?

I think someone should merge the other thread to this one...

Someone should merge this thread with the other one at Heavy Metal

Sorry my fault again - this was the first one I found. Is PC69 really heavy metal??

I agree with Glen. Is it?

I think someone should merge the other thread to this one...

Yes, NOT metal!

• 2 months later...

I took a Geoff with a G "sneaky" listen back when it came out and thought it was good enough to add to the buy list. It arrived last week and instead of ripping it to MP3's for the car, I have been playing the CD in the car which has a decent system.

Looks like I am the odd man out here but this is a kick ass release. Some of the tracks sorta sneak up on you if you spin it enough...they didn't catch my ear the first few times through but now I find myself hummin' along to them. Add in the standout tracks Special and Big Machine (love the rif) and yeah, loving this one. I don't assign percentages or numbers like some of you guys but if I did I'd put this one 85-89%.

I took a Geoff with a G "sneaky" listen back when it came out and thought it was good enough to add to the buy list. It arrived last week and instead of ripping it to MP3's for the car, I have been playing the CD in the car which has a decent system.

Looks like I am the odd man out here but this is a kick ass release. Some of the tracks sorta sneak up on you if you spin it enough...they didn't catch my ear the first few times through but now I find myself hummin' along to them. Add in the standout tracks Special and Big Machine (love the rif) and yeah, loving this one. I don't assign percentages or numbers like some of you guys but if I did I'd put this one 85-89%.

I like it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This disc is still solid. Nothing really wrong with it. I just wish it demanded to be replayed.

This disc is still solid. Nothing really wrong with it. I just wish it demanded to be replayed.

Hmm to each his own but I play it often but then again I've only bought 10-12 new cds this year but I do like it a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Yahnnnn, zzzzzzzzzzzz.. zzzzzzz...zzzzzzz......