Marchello - 'The Magic Comes Alive' finally available!

Evil Rick

Heh. Not much to tell. Trading/selling of live boots and unreleased albums/demos was all the rage. Of course it's still about now, but all digital... and much of the boot material from that era has now been legitimately released by the smaller labels or in many cases by the bands themselves.

Back then you didn't see much bootlegging of material that had already been released (which is where most of the discussion of here on the board has focused... on someone illegally reissuing a CD or one that had only been released in Japan, etc.). It was simply too cost prohibitive for the entrepreneur at that time. CD replication cost 5-6 figures easy for a titie, and you couldn't do short runs at all. There were wholesale boot labels out of Europe (remember those crappy-quality Reborn Classics CDs?) that took vinyl and tape and put it on CD with zero quality control whatsoever... but for many people it was the ONLY way to get the music on CD.

My first CD burner was 1X speed. It took as long to make the CD as it did to listen to the album. Blanks were several bucks each and the failure rate was high. Selling/trading CDRs was a very time-consuming and expensive proposition.

Now, between legitimate releases, the surge in computer/software technology over the last 15 years, the migration from physical to digital, there's no longer a cost/time impediment. USB turntables for Pete's sake! Add the ease of filesharing networks to the equation and there's nothing that cannot be distributed quickly and cheaply.

It's a different landscape.

P.S. That Marchello "Power of Money" album cover shown on the YouTube video is my design. I still have the Photoshop and layout files somewhere... talk about a blast from the past.

• My Little Pony

Heh. Not much to tell. Trading/selling of live boots and unreleased albums/demos was all the rage. Of course it's still about now, but all digital... and much of the boot material from that era has now been legitimately released by the smaller labels or in many cases by the bands themselves.

Back then you didn't see much bootlegging of material that had already been released (which is where most of the discussion of here on the board has focused... on someone illegally reissuing a CD or one that had only been released in Japan, etc.). It was simply too cost prohibitive for the entrepreneur at that time. CD replication cost 5-6 figures easy for a titie, and you couldn't do short runs at all. There were wholesale boot labels out of Europe (remember those crappy-quality Reborn Classics CDs?) that took vinyl and tape and put it on CD with zero quality control whatsoever... but for many people it was the ONLY way to get the music on CD.

My first CD burner was 1X speed. It took as long to make the CD as it did to listen to the album. Blanks were several bucks each and the failure rate was high. Selling/trading CDRs was a very time-consuming and expensive proposition.

Now, between legitimate releases, the surge in computer/software technology over the last 15 years, the migration from physical to digital, there's no longer a cost/time impediment. USB turntables for Pete's sake! Add the ease of filesharing networks to the equation and there's nothing that cannot be distributed quickly and cheaply.

P.S. That Marchello "Power of Money" album cover shown on the YouTube video is my design. I still have the Photoshop and layout files somewhere... talk about a blast from the past.

Sounds like good times. I'm still young, but I had a couple years experience with distributing mixtapes, before the digital wave really blew up. A friend of mine used to make his money selling mixtapes in the '90s. The art is all but extinct. I try to keep it alive, but it's just a personal thing, now.

How did you get your hands on unreleased material? You just know the right people? I guess I'm just curious on how unreleased material surfaces. I would've assumed it would just have been buried.

Sounds like good times. I'm still young, but I had a couple years experience with distributing mixtapes, before the digital wave really blew up. A friend of mine used to make his money selling mixtapes in the '90s. The art is all but extinct. I try to keep it alive, but it's just a personal thing, now.

How did you get your hands on unreleased material? You just know the right people? I guess I'm just curious on how unreleased material surfaces. I would've assumed it would just have been buried.

If you were big into the CD seen, somebody you know could always get something unreleased, and it would just make it's way from collector to collector, you'd be surprised at the shit we used to get before the internet, when I said, "what did we do before the internet" it was kind of tongue in cheek, because you could get alot of shit you'd never expected you'd be able to get, it just took a little longer.

Funny you say that, Dan. I also ended up with a lot of unreleased stuff back in the day and most of it often came with some type of dodgy artwork, or nothing and that was cool. But this Marchello disc was the only one I got with nothing that I actually made my own artwork for, and guessed all the song names. I just wanted to make sure this had a physical presence in my CD collection so it didn't get overlooked... because I like it that much. Great disc, and I always thought the sound quality was on par with any major release of it's day, so if it's even better I can't wait to get this in my hands.

• 2 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Anymore thoughts * opinions on this ge of a release?

Soundwise, it's indeed so much better than all the other so called legit issues pressings out there over the years.

I do wish however that the last song on the album 'spitiing image" was the full version available instead of the half version.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Have mp3s, those were upgraded to a bootleg, and now that's gonna be upgraded. I can't wait to hear the difference. And, yeah, it's a little dissapointing to know there isn't a full version of "Spitting Image." It's one of my favourite tracks.

Soundwise, it's indeed so much better than all the other so called legit issues pressings out there over the years.

I do wish however that the last song on the album 'spitiing image" was the full version available instead of the half version.

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Have mp3s, those were upgraded to a bootleg, and now that's gonna be upgraded. I can't wait to hear the difference. And, yeah, it's a little dissapointing to know there isn't a full version of "Spitting Image." It's one of my favourite tracks.

I never noticed that. Guess I'll need to be hanging on to the original mp3 version.

• My Little Pony

I never noticed that. Guess I'll need to be hanging on to the original mp3 version.

How long is the track you have? Mine's 2:33, and it fades out. That may have been the final cut, but if yours is different I'd like to hear it. (wink)

How long is the track you have? Mine's 2:33, and it fades out. That may have been the final cut, but if yours is different I'd like to hear it. (wink)

This may clear up some confusion...

I compared the mp3's to the new cd. Here's what I found but your results may vary...

My original track 12 mp3 was labeled "Riot". It's actually "Spitting Image" on the disc. On my winamp the mp3 displays as 3:50 but actually plays as 2:33. The cd track is 2:31.

My original track 13 mp3 was labeled "I Feel Good". It's actually "Riot" on the disc. On the Winamp the mp3 displays as 2:33 but actually plays as 4:42. The cd track is 4:36.

My original track 14 mp3 was labeled "Spitting Image". It's actually "I Feel Good" on the disc. On the Winamp the mp3 displays as 4:42 but actually plays as 3:50. The cd track is 3:47.

All 3 songs are about the same length on the disc as they are on my mp3's give or take a few seconds, only the last three mp3's were labeled wrong and display the incorrect running length (for me that was the case anyway). Hope that helps. :)

• My Little Pony

I compared the mp3's to the new cd. Here's what I found but your results may vary...

My original track 12 mp3 was labeled "Riot". It's actually "Spitting Image" on the disc. On my winamp the mp3 displays as 3:50 but actually plays as 2:33. The cd track is 2:31.

My original track 13 mp3 was labeled "I Feel Good". It's actually "Riot" on the disc. On the Winamp the mp3 displays as 2:33 but actually plays as 4:42. The cd track is 4:36.

My original track 14 mp3 was labeled "Spitting Image". It's actually "I Feel Good" on the disc. On the Winamp the mp3 displays as 4:42 but actually plays as 3:50. The cd track is 3:47.

All 3 songs are about the same length on the disc as they are on my mp3's give or take a few seconds, only the last three mp3's were labeled wrong and display the incorrect running length (for me that was the case anyway). Hope that helps. :)

???

I understand what you're saying, but why we're the mislabeled, and, what's even more confusing, why did Winamp display the wrong running length? Just a bit confused.

But thanks for clearing that up. Somewhat. Your version of "Spitting Image" is probably the same as everyone else's. I'm sorry if that means you're no longer special. :D

???

I understand what you're saying, but why we're the mislabeled, and, what's even more confusing, why did Winamp display the wrong running length? Just a bit confused.

But thanks for clearing that up. Somewhat. Your version of "Spitting Image" is probably the same as everyone else's. I'm sorry if that means you're no longer special. :D

Yeah I have noooo idea why winamp is showing the track length incorrectly, but I have run into that with other mp3's in the past. How long is your mp3 version of "Spitting Image"?

• My Little Pony

???

Yeah I have noooo idea why winamp is showing the track length incorrectly, but I have run into that with other mp3's in the past. How long is your mp3 version of "Spitting Image"?

Same as yours. 2:33. And it fades out in the chorus.

???

So I have to wonder, does a "full version" of this song even exist?

• My Little Pony

???

So I have to wonder, does a "full version" of this song even exist?

I dunno. Perhaps that's all it was meant to be.

The full version of Spitting Image I have on cassette goes for over around 4 mins.

I'll hopefully be one day be able to upload it to ya'll.

That would be cool, I'd like to hear it. :)

• 4 years later...