I'm still Hot For Teacher!

zacharyamelie

The thing I find hard to believe, amazing and worthy of a wow, is how bad this song actually is. :lol: I randomly heard it on the radio the other day and it blows my mind how such an obviously blatant filler became such a big hit.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere, good luck to them. They didn't buy the dreadful records, they just recorded them. ;)

The thing I find hard to believe, amazing and worthy of a wow, is how bad this song actually is. :lol: I randomly heard it on the radio the other day and it blows my mind how such an obviously blatant filler became such a big hit.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere, good luck to them. They didn't buy the dreadful records, they just recorded them. ;)

yeah but its what the fans love about van halen - thunderous rhythm section, evh's unique guitar and roth's bizarre half spoken / half sung vocal style.

does exactly zero for me personally, but as I said before I can understand why people love this stuff....its just a different appeal.

I swear to God that most of their songs were written purely for the live environment - you imagine them improvising off these songs all over the place with added guitar solos / sections etc........

yeah but its what the fans love about van halen - thunderous rhythm section, evh's unique guitar and roth's bizarre half spoken / half sung vocal style.

does exactly zero for me personally, but as I said before I can understand why people love this stuff....its just a different appeal.

I swear to God that most of their songs were written purely for the live environment - you imagine them improvising off these songs all over the place with added guitar solos / sections etc........

Indeed, obviously people enjoy it... as also evidenced with Mr Big's mass appeal too. Everyone always acknowledges that most their songs are fillers, but they still managed to be one of the bigger selling 80's rock bands, and most people know them by name.

Like I say, good luck to the bands. It's just odd seeing songs that people acknowledge as fillers on 95% of albums are suddenly praised when it comes to a band like VH. A song like this was a given on most 80's early 90's hard rock discs, always at the end... and always a filler by anyone's standards. But like you say, probably fun for the band to play live and let off a bit of steam. But as an actual song, just pointless. :)

Indeed, obviously people enjoy it... as also evidenced with Mr Big's mass appeal too. Everyone always acknowledges that most their songs are fillers, but they still managed to be one of the bigger selling 80's rock bands, and most people know them by name.

Like I say, good luck to the bands. It's just odd seeing songs that people acknowledge as fillers on 95% of albums are suddenly praised when it comes to a band like VH. A song like this was a given on most 80's early 90's hard rock discs, always at the end... and always a filler by anyone's standards. But like you say, probably fun for the band to play live and let off a bit of steam. But as an actual song, just pointless. :)

The thing is if you are lookin for soaring choruses &/or hooks, you wont even find that on their biggest ever hit 'Jump'.

I mean, yeah its a classic and the key intro, musicianship, solo etc are excellent, but Roth's vocals are still rough and the chorus is limp and simple.

Ha ha, Hot For Teacher a filler?? I think I've heard it all now :lol:

That song blows most of todays hard rock away...and frankly did in the 80's too. Bon Jovi never had a song as good as HFT ;)

Yeah, today's hard rock... :lol:

That song blows most of todays hard rock away...and frankly did in the 80's too. Bon Jovi never had a song as good as HFT ;)

You are joking of course?

Of course they are, mate. Van Halen fans need a good sense of humour.

Whatever got you that idea. ;)

No, but seriously, I don't consider HFT a filler and find the "no hooks" etc comment amusing. In my book, this and "Panama" off the same album are perhaps two of the catchiest HR songs of the 80's...seldom bettered by any band. But that's just me :)

Whatever got you that idea. ;)

No, but seriously, I don't consider HFT a filler and find the "no hooks" etc comment amusing. In my book, this and "Panama" off the same album are perhaps two of the catchiest HR songs of the 80's...seldom bettered by any band. But that's just me :)

See, 'Panama' is cheesy rubbish, but credit due - it's catchy and I really don't personally mind that song. At least it has a hook and some listening point to it.

By my standards alone, there is no more obvious example of a filler track than HFT. To me it's just utterly forgettable garbage, but millions of people don't agree with me, so maybe it's just me. Looks like I'm also the only one honest enou-uh, the only one who doesn't like the new Van Halen album. So obviously every other music fan hears something in VH that I clearly don't.

... but millions of people don't agree with me, so maybe it's just me.

Spot on Brother Geoffrey!! :P

... but millions of people don't agree with me, so maybe it's just me.

YES! It is mostly you Brother Geoffrey!! :P