James Durbin

Glen

Just been listening to the new James Durbin album and it is really good. Definitely one of the better modern rock album Ive listened to this year.

Bags of passion, great vocals...and there is a lot of variety on offer here, so it doesnt get boring - very worthy album.

Whole thing is streaming here -

http://blog.rock.inmusic.ca/2011/11/hear-idol-singer-james-durbins-new-album-streaming.html

By the way, how cool is 'Outcast'...love this tune, and listening to this song I couldnt help but think of Eden's Curse.....how cool would it be for Durbin to sing in Eden's Curse? He would rule those songs.........not beyond the realms of impossibility after Gronwall joined HEAT??

Wow, very good! Did this dude actually win it? Sounds like a complete sleaze hard rock / metal type of vocalist. Is the whole album like this? Will check it out today... well, in a few minutes. ;)

Wow, very good! Did this dude actually win it?

Nah, he was the third or fourth runner-up, I believe.

Wow, very good! Did this dude actually win it?

Nah, he was the third or fourth runner-up, I believe.

Nice. Good luck to him if this is what he sounds like. :)

Like I said in another thread today, I heard this one and was super impressed. Rocks a lot harder than a Daughtry or David Cook and really sounds more like something we'd expect on this site rather than anything Idol related. Only spun it once, but colour me completely impressed and looking forward to more spins. Nice find, Glen. ;)

Good tune. I didn't 'love' his voice initially, but once it kicks in, it fits perfectly. Hope the rest of the album is this strong

Durbin has lots of potential when I spotted him from the first time in Idol, but actually he likes a copycat of Adam Lambert back then, only that he's more metal, but one thing that's been buggin' me is that on that show, he tend to over-scream, like he's trying to tell you in your face that 'cmon hear my fuckin' voice - i can scream higher than a young Rob Halford'

and actually there's a duet between him and Halford, i don't expect him to have a decent album, but from what you guys sayin', looks like a winner from him. Will check it out soon, coz if it's a real rocker, then this guy deserved a high five, since Daughtry and Cook are swayin' slow to please their Idol fans by bringing too many ballads to the table.

Durbin has lots of potential when I spotted him from the first time in Idol, but actually he likes a copycat of Adam Lambert back then, only that he's more metal, but one thing that's been buggin' me is that on that show, he tend to over-scream, like he's trying to tell you in your face that 'cmon hear my fuckin' voice - i can scream higher than a young Rob Halford'

and actually there's a duet between him and Halford, i don't expect him to have a decent album, but from what you guys sayin', looks like a winner from him. Will check it out soon, coz if it's a real rocker, then this guy deserved a high five, since Daughtry and Cook are swayin' slow to please their Idol fans by bringing too many ballads to the table.

Even mix on this too - a bit more varied than the Daughtry album tho which while impressive is very safe.

• 4 weeks later...

Even mix on this too - a bit more varied than the Daughtry album tho which while impressive is very safe.

Is it better than the Daughtry album? I just can't get into that one...

Is it better than the Daughtry album? I just can't get into that one...

Im really not sure if you would like this or not to be honest. Its less polished than the Daughtry and more varied in style. Rocks a bit more in places. If you can wait til after chrimbo, I can throw u out a copy and u can decide from there...let me know.

• 2 years later...

Dudes, just to let you know, this chap released what appears to be a very low-key release this year. He's still signed with Wind-Up, where his debut was released, but this one, only a few months old, was already very hard to track down for a sneaky listen. Anyway, finally got a hold of it, played it once this week and bought a physical copy tonight. Really, really impressive. Probably doesn't "rock as hard" as the debut, if you want to say the debut "rocked," but it's more commercial with bigger, catchier choruses. Like I said, only spun it once and I won't again until I have the physical copy, but do yourself a favour and check it out. Could be one of my faves this year.

For the record, the new album is called 'Celebrate.'

I Knew he had a new one on the way from his FB page, but didn't realise it had been released already. Will defo check this out, as 'Memories Of a Beautiful Disaster' was a really fine album.

Yeah, like I said, seems to have been released on the back of a truck in Finland or something, such is the "buzz" around the release. By all reports it was released back on the 8th of April this year. Though, like I said, already seems to have faded into complete obscurity.

But don't let that stop you checking it out... it's a good 'un.

Dudes, just to let you know, this chap released what appears to be a very low-key release this year. He's still signed with Wind-Up, where his debut was released, but this one, only a few months old, was already very hard to track down for a sneaky listen. Anyway, finally got a hold of it, played it once this week and bought a physical copy tonight. Really, really impressive. Probably doesn't "rock as hard" as the debut, if you want to say the debut "rocked," but it's more commercial with bigger, catchier choruses. Like I said, only spun it once and I won't again until I have the physical copy, but do yourself a favour and check it out. Could be one of my faves this year.

For the record, the new album is called 'Celebrate.'

This album wasn't just low-key in terms of publicity, I thought musically it was pretty low-key too. Not saying it's overly mellow or anything like that, but it's definitely poppier than his debut. I loved his first album--it nearly cracked my Top 10 that year--but I haven't even bothered to pick up this new one. All that said, it's not a terrible album by any means--and there are a few genuinely great songs on it--but overall, it's not the direction I hoped he would take.

Yeah, like I said, definitely more emphasis on the melodic/commercial side than the debut, and I will admit a couple of the closing tracks are weak, but for the most part, I was loving it.

Strange you say it was actually released with publicity in the US. So I guess we can blame you 'Mericans for basically burying the shit out of the album so it was basically hidden from the rest of the world, so it seems.

• 6 months later...

Did many people end up checking out 'Celebrate' from 2014? Home to 3 of my favourite songs of the year:

Louder than a loaded gun:

Forget it:

Parachute:

Good album, although not as good as the debut. Didn't make my 'Big ' year list, but not a bad album by any means