Best Misfiled CD You've Ever Found...

rogerrocket

While out cd hunting Tuesday I found a Scott Henderson & Tribal Tech 'Nomad' cd in the "Native American" section at a local store called Bookmans. This place is notorious for their employees not knowing where to file stuff (at all of their locations). I guess since the cd cover said "Tribal" and had Native Americans on the cover...well of course! :doh:

It got me to thinking...What is the best cd you guys have ever found at a store that was obviously misfiled? I'm not talking about a cd that was hidden by another customer in the Rap section or anything like that. It had to be pretty apparent that the employees misfiled it.

The best one for us was back in the late 90's. Cassie found a Laos 'We Want It' cd (original Japanese pressing) in the "Asian Music" section of a Disc-Go-Round. This was before it was reissued and was still worth a lot. She walked up to me with this look on her face that said "You're not going to believe this." Never mind that no one on the front cover looks Asian, and they're dressed like a metal band. That Japanese writing on the spine throws 'em off every time... :stan:

So what's the best misfiled cd you've found???

Np - Walk On Fire - 'Blind Faith'

www.wishingwellonline.com

Years back, I remember coming across CDs by the Christian speed-metal band Deliverance in the same section as albums by the "Deliverance Gospel Choir" in my local Sam Goody store. :lol:

I used to work in a used cd store so I'm probably guilty of filing some of those bands under the wrong category. :lol:

I can't think of any specific times I have found some gems that were misfiled, but I do know I thought it was a bit odd that I was never seeing any Stryper or Petra when I would go cd hunting. Then one day while killing time waiting for my wife to look through the DVD's I wandered over to the religious section and of course they had just about every Stryper and Petra cd ever released (along with several other bands like Guardian and Love Life) just sitting there waiting for me to buy buy buy.

Lots of AOR bands get confused for Country music. The best example that has happened more than once is with Southern Sons. A country name with pretty boys usually means Country and not an AOR gem.

See why

Here is Southern Sons, they have a Country band name and look like mid 90's Country but are AOR

southern%2Bsons%2Bfront.jpg

Here is Little Texas, they have a Country name but look Rock (mid 90's Def Leppard look) they are Country...except some of their ballads are pure hair rock gold.

4a6f06292637c.jpg

Another mix up is often between Westcoast AOR and Jazz bands.

4951849.jpg

Gamalon look Rock but are Prog Jazz

"I used to work in a used cd store so I'm probably guilty of filing some of those bands under the wrong category." :lol:

Yeah I worked in a record store for 13 years, that's why I think it drives me nuts when I see stuff misfiled. When I'm out I always have customers coming up to me asking "Do you work here?" because I'm putting misfiled cds back in their correct slots. :screwy:

Np - Preview - self-titled

i know it's irrelevant but i remember one thing, back in the days when djangomusic is still on, i ordered a used CD called Big House (http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/band.cgi?BandNum=217) and instead the glam thing, they sent me the Big House country music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_House_%28band%29) :doh:

Christian Music seems to be the most common genre to be misfiled here in the Phoenix area. Tonight was the most perfect example...

Found around 20 rare Christian Rock, AOR and Metal titles in the regular section of a shop I hit once a week. I could tell they were all from one collection because I went through the entire store last week and none of it was there. There were a handful from this collection that were filed in the Christian section (obvious stuff like Petra and some CCM). Everything else was in the regular bins, so I had to go through the entire store again (which took me an hour and a half...it's a big store). Stuff like Crossection, Kerry Livgren, Saint, Armada, Siloam, Age Of Faith. Once you find a couple, you've got to keep going.

Guess I just have to be happy that the store employees' lack of knowledge is good for my business. I'm sure that if this stuff was filed correctly it'd be sold right away. :whistle:

NP: GTR - self-titled

NOT A MISFILED album but when I was going to the Kiss Hot in the Shade concert I already knew Slaughter but didn't know Faster Pussycat. Went to walmart and bought the cassette. put it in the cassette player and it was a rap album ejected the thing, looked at it and it had all the markings of the Wake Me album. put it back in for a little bit. pure rap. I think it was Big Daddy Kane. took it back and exchanged that sucka

NOT A MISFILED album but when I was going to the Kiss Hot in the Shade concert I already knew Slaughter but didn't know Faster Pussycat. Went to walmart and bought the cassette. put it in the cassette player and it was a rap album ejected the thing, looked at it and it had all the markings of the Wake Me album. put it back in for a little bit. pure rap. I think it was Big Daddy Kane. took it back and exchanged that sucka

Man that would of pissed me off.

I wonder how often something like that happens.

Man that would of pissed me off.

I wonder how often something like that happens.

I remember hearing years ago that Capitol Records had to recall a bunch of Frank Sinatra cassettes because they'd inadvertently contained the "Repo Man" soundtrack. Betcha that caused some heart attacks in rest homes :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah I worked in a record store for 13 years, that's why I think it drives me nuts when I see stuff misfiled. When I'm out I always have customers coming up to me asking "Do you work here?" because I'm putting misfiled cds back in their correct slots. :screwy:

Reminds me of the scene in Big Bang Theory when Sheldon is out buying a present for Leonard's surprise birthday party and ends up helping every customer in the computer section until Penny calls security on him. :lol:

I don't know that it quite qualifies as a misfile, but I remember finding Blue Tears s/t in a used CD store among a ton of used country CDs on an endcap rack. I think there were other CDs elsewhere in the rack, but probably the 5-7 around it were country CDs. I was certainly MOST excited!

• 5 months later...