Nickelback - Here and Now

whiplash1972

http://www.nickelback.com/

Nickelback_Here_and_Now_170x170-75.jpg

New album "Here and Now" drops Nov. 21st.

1. This Means War

2. Bottoms Up

3. When We Stand Together

4. Midnight Queen

5. Gotta Get Me Some

6. Lullaby

7. Kiss It Goodbye

8. Trying Not To Love You

9. Holding On To Heaven

10. Everything I Wanna Do

11. Don't Ever Let It End

You can listen to two singles, "When We Stand together" and "Bottoms Up" on their website.

NickelbackBottomsUpWhenWeStandTogether-670x335.jpg

Let me be the first to say I'm looking forward to it. I don't adore these guys, but their CDs do seem to be getting better with time and I'm sure that at least half of this CD will be pretty great.

I'm sure I'm not deaf buddy but 'Dark Horse' is quite mediocre even though looks like they're going down the hard rock path and less-alternative, but I can stand perhaps only 3-4 tracks, well hopefully the new one is better.

i forgot but was 'All The Right Reasons' a better disc than 'Horse' or worse ?

I'm sure I'm not deaf buddy but 'Dark Horse' is quite mediocre even though looks like they're going down the hard rock path and less-alternative, but I can stand perhaps only 3-4 tracks, well hopefully the new one is better.

i forgot but was 'All The Right Reasons' a better disc than 'Horse' or worse ?

I prefer 'All The Right Reasons' but it must be said that the overall vibe and sound on 'Dark Horse' was better than 'ATRR.' And that's what I meant by my getting better with every release comment. In all honesty, they're pretty similar discs. It's pretty much only 'Far Away' from 'ATRR' that makes me prefer that one. Man, what a stunning song.

Anyone who doesn't like this band is deaf. Last two cd's are classic and I can't wait for this one!

That's a sweeping and very bold statement. Tastes vary and I hope those who like the band enjoy the new CD. Personally, I would rather listen to a CD of my own farts.

Go see them live. Download their best songs to make your own compilation. That's all.

Anyone who doesn't like this band is deaf. Last two cd's are classic and I can't wait for this one!

That's a sweeping and very bold statement. Tastes vary and I hope those who like the band enjoy the new CD. Personally, I would rather listen to a CD of my own farts.

What can I say, I'm feeling a little bold ;)

I guess my point is aside from their ridiculously awesome rock songs, there ballads are just what the doctor ordered. And I am NOT a ballad person, heard em all before. But they have a way of writing a simple ballad that is just awesome.

I realize there are a lot of people who don't like them but I'm not one of them.

I never understand why so many people hate this band. Sometimes it just seems like its the fashionable thing to do.

I'd never say I was a huge fan, but they do record some brilliant songs when they are on form.

I never understand why so many people hate this band. Sometimes it just seems like its the fashionable thing to do.

I'd never say I was a huge fan, but they do record some brilliant songs when they are on form.

Speaking personally, it's not a bandwagon thing, I just really hate the 'modern' sound. I've given it a try several times and checked out numerous songs recommended by discerning people on here, but I always end up hating them. There's something about that stuff I can't stand. You can't rationalise taste I suppose. Oh, and the next time I hear "How You Remind Me" I'm going to strangle the nearest OAP/child/cat.

Speaking personally, it's not a bandwagon thing, I just really hate the 'modern' sound. I've given it a try several times and checked out numerous songs recommended by discerning people on here, but I always end up hating them. There's something about that stuff I can't stand. You can't rationalise taste I suppose. Oh, and the next time I hear "How You Remind Me" I'm going to strangle the nearest OAP/child/cat.

The only "modern" thing about 'Dark Horse' is Chad Croeger's admittedly dreadful vocals. Musically and song-wise you're looking at something not dissimilar to Def Leppard's 'Adrenalize' or Bryan Adams' 'Waking up the neighbours,' just with more balls.

The only "modern" thing about 'Dark Horse' is Chad Croeger's admittedly dreadful vocals. Musically and song-wise you're looking at something not dissimilar to Def Leppard's 'Adrenalize' or Bryan Adams' 'Waking up the neighbours,' just with more balls.

I agree...except for the vocals comment :)

Hmm ... I think the thing I hate most about the modern sound might be the vocals, so this is probably all I need to know... :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

So let's be honest here. "Here and Now" is a pretty weak album. This band completely refuse to change their style/sound or progress in any way, shape or form, from one album to the next. They have obvious songwriting ability and are frankly damn entertaining live, but they are fucking lazy when it comes to making records. Some of this is total dogshit without any redeeming features ("Bottoms Up", "Midnight Queen" and others are just bland/generic/pointless/tuneless songs), some of it is pretty listenable but very unmemorable radio rock ("When We Stand Together", "Don't Ever Let It End"), and then there's the ballads. And they're good. The ridiculously over-produced "Lullaby" (such a great song that it would've made a killer acoustic tune, why add all that instrumentation?), and the stunning "Trying Not To Love You" (which is right up there with the epic "Far Away" in ballad terms).

This band deserve a little more respect than they get, given their obvious talent. But they should also expect and deserve some criticism for completely refusing to change/improve their sound and simply re-recording the same songs repeatedly.

Despite the fact that "Trying Not To Love You" is very nearly worth the entry price alone, this album is simply not worth getting.

Yeah, I haven't heard it again yet, but based on my first spin it just sounded like out-takes from 'Dark Horse' to me... which isn't too bad a thing. But I was hoping for something a little more exciting, which it is not. Like always I enjoyed the more commercial stuff, even if they weren't all great. The rockers are good - I don't mind them, but they really do sound just like the others, like Tim said.

The album is good, as usual. But I am growing tired of their samey sound. The last 3-4 albums all sound like they were written at the same time.

Now the new Daughtry is very good! ;)

So let's be honest here. "Here and Now" is a pretty weak album. This band completely refuse to change their style/sound or progress in any way, shape or form, from one album to the next.

Which is no different to bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top etc etc etc

I'm not saying the album is good or bad as I havent heard it, but to be quite frank, if they change their sound or style at all, they risk losing fans.

There are plenty of examples of bands changing style and losing fans. I mean, who really wants to hear a band they like go from say Ride the lightning or the Black album to dog shit like St Anger or Lulu just for the sake of changing style or sound?

So let's be honest here. "Here and Now" is a pretty weak album. This band completely refuse to change their style/sound or progress in any way, shape or form, from one album to the next.

Which is no different to bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top etc etc etc

True, but I don't care much for those bands for that reason. Or rather, I don't mind them but I wouldn't buy repeated albums for that reason - given the similarities. Personally I prefer bands that push their sound and take the risk of losing fans, as long as they're not just doing it to follow the latest trends. Or at least attempt to vary the songs on offer somewhat. Frankly it wouldn't surprise me if Nickelback had taken the music from their last album and changed a few lyrics and choruses here and there, and then put it out with a new title hoping no-one would notice. There's that much similarity between songs.

I'd counter though that the difference between an album like Silver side up and Darkhorse shows they have progressed and changed their style over the years, but now maybe they feel they have found their niche and are sticking with it. They have certainly moved away from the post grunge scene that they were initially labled with, and moved into a more arena rock style.

Yes Chads vocals will always leave them somewhat linked to that post grunge sound, but the music has a very different vibe from their early stuff.

I'll grant you that the ballads all follow a similar pattern, but the rock stuff has certainly moved on.

What gave 'Dark Horse' that extra special something was Mutt Lange's involvement and in general that album kicked serious ass. 'Here And Now' isn't as good, but is pretty good in spots, especially 'Lullaby', 'We Stand Together' and 'Trying Not To Love You' which are great songs and make it worth buying just for those. On the minus side (and a point in which they fall down on every release imo) are some of the worst lyrics since that Panto Metal band released their album last month. All in all it's pretty much what you would expect a Nickelback album to sound like, so absolutely no surprises at all really.

What gave 'Dark Horse' that extra special something was Mutt Lange's involvement and in general that album kicked serious ass. 'Here And Now' isn't as good, but is pretty good in spots, especially 'Lullaby', 'We Stand Together' and 'Trying Not To Love You' which are great songs and make it worth buying just for those. On the minus side (and a point in which they fall down on every release imo) are some of the worst lyrics since that Panto Metal band released their album last month. All in all it's pretty much what you would expect a Nickelback album to sound like, so absolutely no surprises at all really.

Saxon ?

Saxon ?

You got the 'S' correct :bowdown:

I certainly wouldn't want them to change their style at all - there's nothing wrong with that, or with bands that stick to what they're good at. I also dislike all those bands you mentioned, Sir Howdy, but there are also many, many examples of bands that have stayed true to their sound whilst still managing to make very different sounding albums with a good variety of songs with different arrangements. I think the problem with Nickleback is that there just seems to be no attempt to record anything at all that wasn't already on the last CD.

It's odd, because I'm a MASSIVE believer in 'If it ain't break don't fix it' - but there is something about the way Nickleback are doing it that makes their sound way too predictable, to the point where it ends up being pretty boring.