Megadeth Announce Release Date For "TH1RT3EN"

whiplash1972

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Megadeth-Announce-Release-Date-For-TH1RT3EN-23232.aspx

Megadeth have made it official: Their 13th studio album, TH1RT3EN, will be released on November 1, 2011. Says singer and guitarist Dave Mustaine, "This record is the culmination of my work over the 13 records I recorded. There are moments on TH1RT3EN that capture my every emotion, and other moments where I am releasing feelings I never knew existed! My proudest moments of my musical career are captured on TH1RT3EN.”

TH1RT3EN also marks the recorded return of bassist Dave Ellefson, who was part of the band's classic lineup from 1983 to 2002. In a move that delighted the band's legion of diehards, Ellefson returned to performing live with Megadeth in early 2010 and has remained a fixture on the stage ever since. This is the first time Ellefson has played on a Megadeth record since 2002's Rude Awakening.

The album's title has several layers of meaning, which leader and guitar deity Mustaine, who first picked up an axe at the age of 13, revealed in a recent chat with RollingStone.com, saying, "I was born on September 13th; this is my thirteenth record. It just seemed like it was the right thing to do to call it TH1RT3EN."

The band has spent the summer killing it on the main stage of the fourth annual Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival tour, and they'll cap that off by performing as part of "The Big 4" once again, this time in New York at Yankee Stadium alongside Metallica, Slayer and Anthrax. The only previous "Big 4" show in the U.S. took place in April in Southern California.

The band recorded an original track, "Never Dead," specifically for the NeverDead action-adventure video game franchise; that song will appear on TH1RT3EN, as will "Sudden Death," which the band recorded for Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock.

Yeah, awesome, eager to listen to this one, hopefully it lives up my expectation.

Anthrax will also unfold their new album later this year and Testament once promised to also do the same, but looks like it's gonna be a 2012 release

(Marks date on calendar)

There are only a few bands left for whom I will go out of my way to get a "first day copy" of a new album. Iron Maiden is one. Megadeth is the other.

I'm in controversial mood today. It's been 18 years since their last great album. 6 years since the last album worth paying full price for (rather than bargain-bin prices), and an equally long time since they had anything more than session musicians playing for them. Both Testament and Metallica's last album's were better than the last 7 Megadeth albums put together IMO, and I saw them live last year (at Download) and they were a total embarrassment and all the modern metal acts playing around them (Lamb of God, 5 Finger Death Punch, etc) played them off the stage. Will I be buying this new album? I stopped buying them brand new the day that Mustaine ran out of ideas...

Now let the beating commence...

I'm in controversial mood today. It's been 18 years since their last great album. 6 years since the last album worth paying full price for (rather than bargain-bin prices), and an equally long time since they had anything more than session musicians playing for them. Both Testament and Metallica's last album's were better than the last 7 Megadeth albums put together IMO, and I saw them live last year (at Download) and they were a total embarrassment and all the modern metal acts playing around them (Lamb of God, 5 Finger Death Punch, etc) played them off the stage. Will I be buying this new album? I stopped buying them brand new the day that Mustaine ran out of ideas...

:agree:

Megadeth has never let me down. All of their albums are great and I will certainly be looking forward to this one.

While Anthrax lost me somewhat during the Bush era, and Metallica just out right got worse and worse after the black album, and only just started to claw their way back with Death Magnetic, Megadeth have stuck to their roots and continued to put out great albums. They may have deviated into more melodic territories during the 90s, but it was still undeniably Megadeth.

Another album to look forward to this year.

(Marks date on calendar)

There are only a few bands left for whom I will go out of my way to get a "first day copy" of a new album. Iron Maiden is one. Megadeth is the other.

What NOT Metallica??? *Laughing and ducks whatever comes flying My way*

Yea I am looking forward to this release Myself..... :headbanger:

Ouch!

I don't rate the last couple of albums nearly as highly as most reviewers, I certainly didn't think the last one was anywhere near as good as 'Peace Sells' or 'Rust In Peace', but since Metallica's "black album", I think everything Dave has put out has been much better than anything his former band mates have released.

• 5 weeks later...

The first single from "TH1RT3EN," "Public Enemy No. 1," hits iTunes today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtfp-Dxmn0

And here's a sneaky peek at another new track, "Sudden Death"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cljOGQQjdHs&feature=related

Both sound pretty bad-ass to me, but then I'm a fanboy. :D

On a related note, the "Big 4" concert at Yankee Stadium is tonight, and I won't be in attendance. Sigh. :(

On a related note, the "Big 4" concert at Yankee Stadium is tonight, and I won't be in attendance. Sigh. :(

I had a chance to go with a couple friends but passed. Had too much cash wrapped up in 4 KIX shows, the Ravens - Steelers game last weekend and the Cardinal Redskin game this weekend. Two KIX shows last weekend and 2 more this weekend. I had those things planned.

What I didn't have planned was the $600+ to buy 4 new tires.... Guess it turned out to be pretty luck I passed on the Big 4 show.

As far as the new tunes... I'm diggin' them. I'm sure this will be a CD I purchase fairly soon after release.

Yea I am DIGGING this?? will Definitely buy this!!!!! :headbanger:

I'm glad that Ellefson is back honestly. While listening to the new songs the 90's Megadeth era came to my mind and that's good 'cause that was my favorite. Btw I really don't like the last two albums (or four? I don't know). I didn't want to give a chance to this new one before but... let's see then! :)

I'm glad that Ellefson is back honestly. While listening to the new songs the 90's Megadeth era came to my mind and that's good 'cause that was my favorite. Btw I really don't like the last two albums (or four? I don't know). I didn't want to give a chance to this new one before but... let's see then! :)

↑ This.

The last album I liked was Youthanasia (although there were a few good songs on Cryptic Writings). These tracks both sound like a big step up, so my interest is officially piqued!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any more tracks off this yet? I can't find any reviews yet, so I guess this is another one where the band is keeping it close to its chest.

Has anyone heard any more tracks off this yet? I can't find any reviews yet, so I guess this is another one where the band is keeping it close to its chest.

In addition to the two already posted, I found this one floating around on YouTube as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK3Cd2X9Als&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL00B1AE1239560194

Wow, what a tune! :headbanger:

Yep, liking that one. Starting to sound like this might be a return to form...

I've heard all the clips and I've also heard people say (upon each new albums release) that it's a return to form. Truth is that if you like their last few albums you'll like this one, but if you didn't then you won't. Personally I've always liked a few tunes from each of those albums but find the rest of them cringeworthy, as they're so far removed from their thrash roots (or even heavy-music in general) these days it's insane. This album has a few pacier songs and some a bit reminiscent of "Rust In Peace" IMO, but also some utter dogshit too.

• 3 weeks later...

absolutely fantastic album. certainly a lot of old school sound to it, but unlike the previous couple of releases, it also throws in a bit more Extinction/Youthanasia influence as well.

Certainly another highlight of the year for me.

Just picked this one up on my lunch break today. Only had time for two spins thus far but it sounds jim-dandy to me, for whatever that's worth.

Love the sound of 'Public Enemy No. 1', 'Sudden Death' and 'Never Dead', but I just listened to 'Millennium oif the Blind' and 'Black Swan' and found them quite average, so I might able to resist this one. I will give them another play though.