Megadeth Announce Release Date For "TH1RT3EN"

whiplash1972

Been spinnin this for a couple of days now and I'm mostly diggin' it, though I will say it's definitely a step down from the balls-out speed 'n' fury of ENDGAME, which I seemed to like a lot more than most folks. "Sudden Death," "Public Enemy #1" and "Black Swan" are my faves at the moment. Don't really dig "Guns, Drugs & Money" (irritating chorus) or "Fast Lane," and the title track that closes the disc is kinda lame.

The new Anthrax crushes the new Deth though. Wow, there's a sentence I never thought I'd see myself writing. :blink:

Been spinnin this for a couple of days now and I'm mostly diggin' it, though I will say it's definitely a step down from the balls-out speed 'n' fury of ENDGAME, which I seemed to like a lot more than most folks. "Sudden Death," "Public Enemy #1" and "Black Swan" are my faves at the moment. Don't really dig "Guns, Drugs & Money" (irritating chorus) or "Fast Lane," and the title track that closes the disc is kinda lame.

The new Anthrax crushes the new Deth though. Wow, there's a sentence I never thought I'd see myself writing. :blink:

I agree this is a MAJOR let down from Endgame, which was killer IMO. I'm not sure if it's the lack of input from Andy Sneap and using Johnny K(he did a killer job on the last Sevendust cd) or most likely there are no songs here. The fact that they updated three old demo/unreleased/rare songs says it all to me. What a shame to have all of this momentum from the last 3 albums and then the big four and then lay an egg like this. They should of taken more time to come up with 5-6 new and better tunes. Also Dave's voice sounds like shit so don't know if that's just his voice or the way it was produced.

And yes the new Anthrax kills this but the new Testament will kill them both!

On the other hand, the new Deth crushes the new Metallica/Lou Reed abomination. :lol:

I thought this was much better than Endgame to be honest, and is on a par with the Anthrax one as they are both excellent releases for me.

As for crushing the Loutallica album ... scraping your fingernails down a blackboard or listening to a baby scream for hours would both crush that abortion of an album.

What ever happened to the emoticon of the dude jerking off? thats the one I want to insert here please!

What ever happened to the emoticon of the dude jerking off? thats the one I want to insert here please!

:masturbanana:

He's hiding at the bottom of the smilies

On the other hand, the new Deth crushes the new Metallica/Lou Reed abomination. :lol:

No doubt about that but the Deth album has no songs and is their worst album since Risk IMO.

I thought this was much better than Endgame to be honest, and is on a par with the Anthrax one as they are both excellent releases for me.

As for crushing the Loutallica album ... scraping your fingernails down a blackboard or listening to a baby scream for hours would both crush that abortion of an album.

Endgame had at least five or six memorable songs where this one has none IMO.

Plus Sneaps proudction job kills Johnny K's.

I'll continue to spin it but something just seems off with the production, Dave's voice and the lack of good songs.

I mean I don't see the point in re-recording three songs that weren't good enough for your other albums but now their good enough for this one. That just screams to me that they are out of ideas and what a shame with Dave Jr. being back in the band and the Big Four creating this big amount of momentum for the band.

I dunno about the idea of recording older songs that didnt make previous albums being about running out of ideas, as there are quite a few bands that have thrown in older songs like this onto their albums (Alice Cooper for instance recorded Something to remember me by for his new album, and that was written in the 70s and is an awesome song).

Plus we have all heard demos by all sorts of bands where we have said that those songs are possibly better than some of the songs that actually made the album of the time.

While it was never used as a b-side for instance, I thought it was criminal that Warrant dropped Thin disguise from Cherry Pie when it is one of their best songs ever.

I'll continue to spin it but something just seems off with the production, Dave's voice and the lack of good songs.

I mean I don't see the point in re-recording three songs that weren't good enough for your other albums but now their good enough for this one. That just screams to me that they are out of ideas and what a shame with Dave Jr. being back in the band and the Big Four creating this big amount of momentum for the band.

Damn Wes, you hatin'! :blink:

I don't have any issue with the production and I can name at least 6-7 superb tracks here, but I have to admit there around 3-4 weaker tracks but those still in the range of 65-75% while the rest are comfortly staying in the range of 80%-90% with 'Never Dead' being the perfect song. A truly solid album and deserved at least 85% in my book.

Yes i think sometimes older songs don't fit with the theme of the album and leaving them behind isn't the reason that they're actually worse in the first place. Probably keeping it for the future releases, or maybe they didn't feel it's totally completed back then and need to enhance it here and there to eventually make a final better song.

Running out of idea seems to be not in Mustaine's book, because if we compare Megadeth to the likes of Metallica, it seems that Ulrich and the gang has been running out of idea for long long time since 1991's black album, while Megadeth with couple of low albums, still have a lot of good songs and albums in their rack.

And I'm with Captain on how this is top 'Endgame' (I probably rate it around 75%). Definitely their best of the last four, but I might be one of the fews that's been wanting them to sound like their classic era, so this one is a pleaser.

I'm interested to hear how Testament will compete with this early next year, yeah an exciting band and I love their last 'Damnation' album, but unfortunately the new Anthrax for me is disappointing especially the second half, and no words can't describe how low Metallica is now, so Testament will be the last fortress of this classic Bay thrash pieces, and they should have been in the Big Four in the first place!

I don't have any issue with the production and I can name at least 6-7 superb tracks here, but I have to admit there around 3-4 weaker tracks but those still in the range of 65-75% while the rest are comfortly staying in the range of 80%-90% with 'Never Dead' being the perfect song. A truly solid album and deserved at least 85% in my book.

Yes i think sometimes older songs don't fit with the theme of the album and leaving them behind isn't the reason that they're actually worse in the first place. Probably keeping it for the future releases, or maybe they didn't feel it's totally completed back then and need to enhance it here and there to eventually make a final better song.

Running out of idea seems to be not in Mustaine's book, because if we compare Megadeth to the likes of Metallica, it seems that Ulrich and the gang has been running out of idea for long long time since 1991's black album, while Megadeth with couple of low albums, still have a lot of good songs and albums in their rack.

And I'm with Captain on how this is top 'Endgame' (I probably rate it around 75%). Definitely their best of the last four, but I might be one of the fews that's been wanting them to sound like their classic era, so this one is a pleaser.

I'm interested to hear how Testament will compete with this early next year, yeah an exciting band and I love their last 'Damnation' album, but unfortunately the new Anthrax for me is disappointing especially the second half, and no words can't describe how low Metallica is now, so Testament will be the last fortress of this classic Bay thrash pieces, and they should have been in the Big Four in the first place!

I don't agree about Mustaine running out of ideas at all. Compared to Metallica, maybe, but in isolation they're a shadow of what they used to be. They peaked many years ago and it always astonishes me how every new release from them sees a few people quote the same thing - about a "return to form". I don't think they have, or ever will, return to anything close to "Rust..." or "Countdown...", and to be honest I don't expect it. But I do wish they would at least start to play thrash metal again. Respect to Anthrax who, despite their new disc being pretty patchy, at least add some aggression. Greater respect to Testament who nailed-it on their last disc. But with Mustaine singing like this, and with their frankly awful live shows and air of nostalgia, there's very little life left in this band. Calling an album "Endgame" (which was better than this new album IMO) gave him the perfect chance to retire...

I don't agree about Mustaine running out of ideas at all. Compared to Metallica, maybe, but in isolation they're a shadow of what they used to be. They peaked many years ago and it always astonishes me how every new release from them sees a few people quote the same thing - about a "return to form". I don't think they have, or ever will, return to anything close to "Rust..." or "Countdown...", and to be honest I don't expect it. But I do wish they would at least start to play thrash metal again. Respect to Anthrax who, despite their new disc being pretty patchy, at least add some aggression. Greater respect to Testament who nailed-it on their last disc. But with Mustaine singing like this, and with their frankly awful live shows and air of nostalgia, there's very little life left in this band. Calling an album "Endgame" (which was better than this new album IMO) gave him the perfect chance to retire...

I never considered Mustaine as a great singer, even back from his early days. In fact, I know that he's 'forced' to sing after he's booted out from Metallica under the suggestion from his fellow band mate, so to say he's deteriorating in the new record, he probably is, but only few survives the aging process these days, many can't fight it, but it's 20 years difference, i didn't expect him to be as strong as his old days.

'Return to form' is merely a return to style and quality where they used to be good after being sloppy for a while, to be back on track. Not every new releases deserved that term, but since 2008-2009, it seems to become a trend, and some bands don't need that term maybe because they're always in form :D

But at the end of the day, judging which album is better is always subjective, i just think there's no point to always compete any artists' new album to their classic, lots of things changed, decade changed, influences changed, so we can always find new things in the new album. Their classic are their legacy, the essence of the early days is that it's full of idealism and new invention, while in the later days, it's a gather of experiences and maturity. We can always listen to the oldies anytime we want, but new albums always fascinates me, whether it's good or bad, our own selves will be the sole judge, it's just deserved to be carefully listened.

I don't know about awful live performance these last two years, but I've seen Megadeth in 2007, they came to Jakarta to promote 'United' and their performance seems pretty fine to me. He sang like he used to be, sounds like an old grumpy granny lol but that's Megadeth's signature sound.

Damn Wes, you hatin'! :blink:

Sorry bro but I just loved Endgame and the previous two had been really good too. Sure none of them are Rust, Peace or Countdown but that's to be expected. At least Endgame had some fast agression to it where this one just doesn't seem right to my ears but I will continue to listen and hopefully it grows like Endgame did.

Well I think it's a great album, and is better than the previous ones (back to 'Cryptic Writings'). Maybe the main reason is that I feel a lot of melody, riff here which takes me back to the 90's, when Megadeth was on top. Okay, it's slower, more melodic, whatever but that's the way I like them. Public Enemy No. 1 is one of the best 'deth songs imo and I also really dig Sudden Death, Never Dead, New World Order, Fast Lane and 13. The only weak song is that Millenium Of The Blind to me. Btw I still hate Broderick. He's just a mindless shredder, and it's freakin' irritating - honestly, I prefer Mustaine's solos...

I spun this again today and now have admit it's much much better than I initially thought. I still prefer Endgame but there are 6-7 great songs on here and the production doesn't bother me as much now either. Maybe I was drunk on my first spin. The only tunes I don't like is "Whose Life", "Guns, Drugs and Money"(horrible song) and "Millennium of the Blind.

I don't mind Broderick and thought he was great in Jag Panzer but still wish Marty Friedman was in the band as him and Dave were a great team early on.