Toby Hitchcock - Mercury's Down

Glen

Songs are very good but i don't like the sound , it's guitar , guitar all the way

Too agressive , too "bright"

It's very difficult sometimes to hear the drums except a poor "pof" and don't search the cymbals....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songs are very good but i don't like the sound , it's guitar , guitar all the way

It's very difficult sometimes to hear the drums except a poor "pof" and don't search the cymbals....

I bet Toby Hitchcock's never heard anyone call his music "too heavy" before?! I think this is down to Martensson, who seems to love writing hooky-AOR tunes (some verge on being pop) but with a lot of guitar - this is how he works in Eclipse...

I bet Toby Hitchcock's never heard anyone call his music "too heavy" before?! I think this is down to Martensson, who seems to love writing hooky-AOR tunes (some verge on being pop) but with a lot of guitar - this is how he works in Eclipse...

i think Martensson's side is on the metal one while Robert Sall is heavily on the AOR side, that's what makes Hitchcock's album heavy and W.E.T in the middle.

• My Little Pony

Who is this Flo person? I think I like them.

I'm really enjoying this album, but I agree that the mix could be better. It sounds like the drums are massive. It sounds like he's really givin' 'er, but they're so quiet. I'd really like to see these guys live. Hear them without the drums silenced.

Who is this Flo person? I think I like them.

I'm really enjoying this album, but I agree that the mix could be better. It sounds like the drums are massive. It sounds like he's really givin' 'er, but they're so quiet. I'd really like to see these guys live. Hear them without the drums silenced.

How the mix was done is a non sense for me

I love Music and i'm a headphones addict :lol:

• 2 months later...

I've played this one a few times and I'm enjoying it. Plenty of good tunes, great vocals and 'This Is The Moment' has been stuck in my head for days. As an album, I much prefer listening to this to Pride of Lions, as although they've done 2 or 3 songs that are better than any of these, there are just sooooo many ballads on those albums.

One out and out filler for me: 'If It's to Be (It's Up to Me)'. How cheesy is that song? Maybe I'll grow to like it, but at the moment it sticks out as the obvious nadir of the album. I don't like the tune and the lyrics are appalling.

Nice album though and great to have another album with this great voice!

I've played this one a few times and I'm enjoying it. Plenty of good tunes, great vocals and 'This Is The Moment' has been stuck in my head for days. As an album, I much prefer listening to this to Pride of Lions, as although they've done 2 or 3 songs that are better than any of these, there are just sooooo many ballads on those albums.

Wow, really? Would love to hear these POL tracks. Did they record 2 or 3 songs for you privately that they never released anywhere else? ;)

One out and out filler for me: 'If It's to Be (It's Up to Me)'. How cheesy is that song? Maybe I'll grow to like it, but at the moment it sticks out as the obvious nadir of the album. I don't like the tune and the lyrics are appalling.

Definitely some cheesy what I like to call "inspiro rockers" on this one. I agree that those type of lyrics are terrible - almost as bad as it gets; not far off christian lyrics. Sooo bad... but that shows the strength of this album, that it can survive about 3-4 inspiro rockers and still come out shining. :)

Okay, as for Pride of Lions:

Sound Of Home

First Time Around The Sun

Man Behind The Mask

Falling Back To Then

All great songs, not sure (yet) whether any of the songs on 'Mercury's Down' top them.

Definitely some cheesy what I like to call "ispiro rockers" on this one. I agree that those type of lyrics are terrible - almost as bad as it gets; not far off christian lyrics. Sooo bad... but that shows the strength of this album, that it can survive about 3-4 inspiro rockers and still come out shining. :)

Have you copyrighted that phrase? ;)

Sound Of Home

First Time Around The Sun Man Behind The Mask

Falling Back To Then

All great songs, not sure (yet) whether any of the songs on 'Mercury's Down' top them.

Love that tune. Yeah its quirky, but brilliant at the same time.

Others I rate off the debut are -

Its Criminal

Gone

Sound Of Home

Madness of Love

The Last Safe Place

& even Music & Me is great in places but this is starting to veer off into theatrical realms which is where POL have lost it. Basically the whole of 'Destiny Stone' is too theatrical for me....and the 3rd album is dreadful, far too cheesy.

Wow, really? Would love to hear these POL tracks. Did they record 2 or 3 songs for you privately that they never released anywhere else? ;)

Definitely some cheesy what I like to call "ispiro rockers" on this one. I agree that those type of lyrics are terrible - almost as bad as it gets; not far off christian lyrics. Sooo bad... but that shows the strength of this album, that it can survive about 3-4 inspiro rockers and still come out shining. :)

Ha ha Geoff, here is your comment on the POL debut (from the main site) -

"Okay, even I have to say this one is pretty fine. There are quite a few fillers around the 3/4 mark of the CD, but aside from that there are some pretty damn fine AOR tunes. Nowhere near the album of the year hyped piece it was made to be, for me personally, but a bloody excellent AOR album, even for a fan of driving melodic hard rock!!!"

I must admit, that I am inclined to agree with you

:popcorn:

Ha ha Geoff, here is your comment on the POL debut (from the main site) -

"Okay, even I have to say this one is pretty fine. There are quite a few fillers around the 3/4 mark of the CD, but aside from that there are some pretty damn fine AOR tunes. Nowhere near the album of the year hyped piece it was made to be, for me personally, but a bloody excellent AOR album, even for a fan of driving melodic hard rock!!!"

I must admit, that I am inclined to agree with you

:popcorn:

Haha. I don't know about "bloody excellent," Young Geoffrey, but I always said that the debut was a good album - the other 2, though, are terrible. But what I meant in this thread, and what I maintain, is that I don't think that there is any song on that POL debut that matches even the weakest song on the Hitchcock CD. I don't know, I admit it's probably been close to a decade since I heard the POL CD (by choice). Maybe I should hear it again, but I know for a fact that the Hitchcock CD appeals to me infinitely over the POL stuff.

And yes, I will copyright my 'inspiro-rocker' term asap. ;)

Sound Of Home

First Time Around The Sun Man Behind The Mask

Falling Back To Then

Love that tune. Yeah its quirky, but brilliant at the same time.

Others I rate off the debut are -

Its Criminal

Gone

Sound Of Home

Madness of Love

The Last Safe Place

& even Music & Me is great in places but this is starting to veer off into theatrical realms which is where POL have lost it. Basically the whole of 'Destiny Stone' is too theatrical for me....and the 3rd album is dreadful, far too cheesy.

I loved POL but didn't like the debut much. Only "Sound of Home" really cut-it for me, the rest was average. "The Destiny Stone" is their best album, and it definitely had some filler but also had more killer songs. The first album was MHR in style, but then they veered-off into AOR territory after that - which is why a lot of people slate their 2nd and 3rd albums. Frankly I'd still rate Hitchcock's solo disc more than "The Destiny Stone" as I prefer the songwriting...

• 2 weeks later...

Back to topic:

I've listened to this CD a few times now and as usual I'm going to get slated for my opinion.

It's a very good album, with lots of good songs and is probably the best album I've heard from 2011 so far. However (and this is the bit that people will hate me for) there are no really great tunes for me. The first track is my favourite and is a song that could badly do with a guitar solo. There are lots of other songs on here that I like and will listen to again and again, but nothing "killer". No song would get more than about 8/10 from me (although I don't generally give songs ratings). There are also 2 songs that I hate, namely 'If It's To Be' and 'Summer Nights In Cabo'; the choruses on both of these really annoy me and the former is probably my least favourite rock song of 2011 - dreadful track.

So anyway, mostly positive, a lot of good songs and of course amazing vocals. Just a couple of minor criticisms that I'll no doubt regret airing! ;)

Back to topic:

I've listened to this CD a few times now and as usual I'm going to get slated for my opinion.

It's a very good album, with lots of good songs and is probably the best album I've heard from 2011 so far. However (and this is the bit that people will hate me for) there are no really great tunes for me. The first track is my favourite and is a song that could badly do with a guitar solo. There are lots of other songs on here that I like and will listen to again and again, but nothing "killer". No song would get more than about 8/10 from me (although I don't generally give songs ratings). There are also 2 songs that I hate, namely 'If It's To Be' and 'Summer Nights In Cabo'; the choruses on both of these really annoy me and the former is probably my least favourite rock song of 2011 - dreadful track.

So anyway, mostly positive, a lot of good songs and of course amazing vocals. Just a couple of minor criticisms that I'll no doubt regret airing! ;)

Mate, that's why we have a forum so people can post their different views. Well that's the theory, I personally think you've gone friggin' nuts! Seriously, the only thing I agree on is that the vocals are great, but I don't even agree the opening track is the best (or anywhere close to the best)...

Mate, that's why we have a forum so people can post their different views.

Good call.

Mate, that's why we have a forum so people can post their different views. Well that's the theory, I personally think you've gone friggin' nuts! Seriously, the only thing I agree on is that the vocals are great, but I don't even agree the opening track is the best (or anywhere close to the best)...

...and there's the reaction I was expecting! :D I've listened to the thing about 6 times now and just don't hear an outstanding song on it. Oh well, I know my place.

Yeah, I don't even know where to start with you, James. :lol: End of the day, though, to each their own. I would love to know what it is about 'Sumer nights in Cabo' that hurts you so, though. ;) Love that song.

Yeah, I don't even know where to start with you, James. :lol: End of the day, though, to each their own. I would love to know what it is about 'Sumer nights in Cabo' that hurts you so, though. ;) Love that song.

The chorus. It's like fingernails on a blackboard.

A tad harsh

A tad harsh

Just how it sounds to me mate, I don't expect many people anyone to agree with me. :D

A tad harsh

Just how it sounds to me mate, I don't expect many people anyone to agree with me. :D

It's a very pure AOR-song, so if you don't like the AOR side of things much (which I gather from your posts you don't) then it's probably not surprising. Frankly though, you know what you're going to get with a TH album written by Erik Martensson - AOR!

A tad harsh

It's a very pure AOR-song, so if you don't like the AOR side of things much (which I gather from your posts you don't) then it's probably not surprising. Frankly though, you know what you're going to get with a TH album written by Erik Martensson - AOR!

As mentioned, I like the album. There are only 2 songs I have to skip, the rest of it is good. Not a classic, but a good album imo.