Judas Priest on "American Idol"

Fat Freddy

I just came back in from walking the dog and my wife, engrossed in the "American Idol" finale, sez to me "You just missed Judas Priest!" -- they jammed with James Durbin. At first I'm like "Judas Priest was on American Idol? Is the apocalypse truly nigh?" yet on the other hand I was like "#$^@, I would've liked to see that." Fortunately, YouTube was there for me in my time of need, as somebody has uploaded it already. (I was viewer #239. Haha.) Watch it quick before the Fox Network has it removed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlPVU1TZl0Q

I saw on blabbermouth that this was rumored and yes it's a shocker and very unmetal but I guess an opputunity to play in front of 20 million people don't come along to often. Maybe this is why KK left the group.

I guess you can't blame them. They just announced U.S. tour dates yesterday, and what better way to get the word out that you're doing a Farewell Tour, than to go on a TV show that's being watched by 100 zillion people??

This was also my first look at the New Guy (Richie Faulkner) on guitar... anybody think the main reason he was hired is cuz he looks EXACTLY LIKE K.K. Downing? Geez, seriously, if I didn't already know K.K. was out, I wouldn't have known it was a new guy at all.

Oh, and I don't give a sh*t how "metal" he supposedly is, James Durbin isn't worthy to hold Halford's jock strap, vocally speaking. (Though Halford would probably gladly let him hold his jock strap, hahahaha)

I guess you can't blame them. They just announced U.S. tour dates yesterday, and what better way to get the word out that you're doing a Farewell Tour, than to go on a TV show that's being watched by 100 zillion people??

This was also my first look at the New Guy (Richie Faulkner) on guitar... anybody think the main reason he was hired is cuz he looks EXACTLY LIKE K.K. Downing? Geez, seriously, if I didn't already know K.K. was out, I wouldn't have known it was a new guy at all.

Oh, and I don't give a sh*t how "metal" he supposedly is, James Durbin isn't worthy to hold Halford's jock strap, vocally speaking. (Though Halford would probably gladly let him hold his jock strap, hahahaha)

:rofl2:

Yes he looks just like a young Rock A Rolla era KK but he did play the solo okay to my ears. It still is just weird though that KK isn't there. It just don't seem right.

So so funny seeing stuff like this. As mentioned so "un-metal", but I guess I see the demographic push. I've seen the Honda van commercial that has "Electric Eye" playing in it and I'm trying to remember, but I think there is a Walmart commercial that has Twisted Sisters "Were NOt Gonna Take It" playing in the background.

Look boys we are middle America's product demographic! :)

IMHO Durbin did not sound half bad, kind of cool this generation appreciating this genre of music, but then again, maybe its a ploy to get our votes and to get us watching these "shows". Just saying.

Oh and I'm with Keith, that new guy is dead ringer for KK, I do like through "Living After Midnight" how the camera didn't touch him...

To be honest, this isnt the first time a rock act has appeared on one of these shows.

Bon Jovi appeared on the X-Factor in the UK (similar to Pop Idol) the same weekend that Alice Cooper appeared on Strictly come dancing.

While I am sure many here would use it as a good chance to insult Jovi, you have to say that seeing as Alice and Priest are doing it as well, its obviously seen as a great marketing strategy by the band.

As much as it annoyed me seeing them on shows like that (I didnt actually watch them, I youtubed them as well), I can certainly understand why they are all starting to do it.

And if you think about it, the people that watch these shows are generally not fans of metal and rock acts, so if being on the show suddenly makes them sell a few more records or tickets due to them having a new 15 mins of fame amongst the brain dead, then more power to them.

Oh and I'm with Keith, that new guy is dead ringer for KK

Someone at another forum I hang at sez "Before K.K. left, they must've taken some of his DNA off of a guitar and grew another K.K. in a laboratory." :rofl:

I do like through "Living After Midnight" how the camera didn't touch him...

I wonder if New Guy's guitar was even plugged in... ? :blink:

To be honest, this isnt the first time a rock act has appeared on one of these shows.

Bon Jovi appeared on the X-Factor in the UK (similar to Pop Idol) the same weekend that Alice Cooper appeared on Strictly come dancing.

While I am sure many here would use it as a good chance to insult Jovi, you have to say that seeing as Alice and Priest are doing it as well, its obviously seen as a great marketing strategy by the band.

As much as it annoyed me seeing them on shows like that (I didnt actually watch them, I youtubed them as well), I can certainly understand why they are all starting to do it.

And if you think about it, the people that watch these shows are generally not fans of metal and rock acts, so if being on the show suddenly makes them sell a few more records or tickets due to them having a new 15 mins of fame amongst the brain dead, then more power to them.

and Zakk Wylde was on there earlier this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xlKq5P5eqw

Yeah and also 2 or 3 years back, Kiss appeared in the final singing with Adam Lambert.

Adam Lambert absolutely pissed on Paul Stanley..........it was quite embarrassing really.

They also regularly feature Daughtry and David Cook....both class modern rock acts (and of course products of US Idol).

Cheers

• 3 months later...

The so-called "American Idol Metalhead," James Durbin, has just released his first single, "Stand Up"... some kinda NFL tie-in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Kx7e5J2_c

This is the guy who said his material was gonna sound like "Holy Diver meets Neon Knights," right? So then why does this track sound like a Nickelback leftover?

Pffft. Corporate Rock wins again.

The so-called "American Idol Metalhead," James Durbin, has just released his first single, "Stand Up"... some kinda NFL tie-in..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Kx7e5J2_c

This is the guy who said his material was gonna sound like "Holy Diver meets Neon Knights," right? So then why does this track sound like a Nickelback leftover?

Pffft. Corporate Rock wins again.

Spot on Keef! Not so worst though..... but no Dio for sure.

• 1 month later...

So, his first album is out in a couple of days, what do you guys think about it?

Samples

Judging from samples it's got nothing to do with what Durbin claimed it to be, but it sounds pretty good for what it is. I'm mainly interested in the track that Hardcore Superstar wrote for him (Outcast)...hopefully it gets them some exposure in the states!

So, his first album is out in a couple of days, what do you guys think about it?

Samples

Judging from samples it's got nothing to do with what Durbin claimed it to be, but it sounds pretty good for what it is. I'm mainly interested in the track that Hardcore Superstar wrote for him (Outcast)...hopefully it gets them some exposure in the states!

Doesn't sound too bad. The rockers sound pretty good. Although, they have a Nickelback-ish feel to them for sure. Especially Stand Up.

Meh. I knew this guy would end up suckin' the corporate rock d*ck...

james_durbin.jpg

If THIS guy is Metal's Chosen Savior, then our beloved genre is in worse shape than I thought. :blink: