Job assessment day and interview

Faron

Hello all,

I was made redundant about 10 weeks ago after working at the company for 22 years. :crying:

Tomorrow lunch time, I have been invited to an assessment day plus interview (approx 3 hours).

I am so out of touch, absolutely pooing myself, I`ve been googling help and advice, what questions to expect, how I should answer etc.

Can anyone give me any tips or guidance?

Thanks in advance

Oh, sorry to hear that. I really don't know what kind of questions they might ask but just try to give positive answers even if you aren't sure what they are looking for. Hope all goes well!

I'll be in the same boat in a couple years, the doctor that owns the business will be retiring then and does not plan on keeping the office open. I know I should look for a different job now since the job market is soooo tight but I absolutely love working there and would hate to leave any sooner than I have to.

*shudder*

That's one of my worst nightmares. I haven't done a formal job interview in over 15 years. I wouldn't know what to say or do. I'd probably come off sounding like Mongo: "Uhh... me know computers. Me write web pages and do end-user support and do desktop publishing and... uhh... stuff."

Yeek.

-Dan

Be positive. Smile. Be personable. Give the most information about what you do. As much as you can but don't repeat yourself. And above all make eye contact. Give them a reason to want you. Good luck!!

I am in a similar situation right now, so I know what it feels like. It sucks ! Last week I had 5 (!) interviews for the same job. 5 different guys.

1. They will want to know what you did in your last job and how this fits the new one

2. They will ask you what you can bring to this company that will add value to them

3. They will want to know what kind of guy you are, your strengths and your weaknesses (important ! be prepared !)

4. What were your biggest achievements in your last jobs and how did you go about it

4. In the assessment center they will put you into work groups and ask you to work on a specific project as a team and watch how you perform as a team player. Then someone will have to present the results. Never a bad thing to volunteer ....

Always be open, friendly and honest. You should talk about your achievements, but don't brag about them. Usually companies are not looking for lone fighters, so present yourself as a cooperative team player.

Good luck !!

Good luck Faron!

I wouldn't know what to do if I was in the same boat but with me being in banked you never know when your bank could just be shut down so it could happen sooner than later.

Be Prepared for some of the most off the wall questions. I saw a news article the other day about employers(remember this aint the 80s or 90s anymore) asking trick questions. More of a personal interview if you ask me. Nothing to do with previous work experience. They want to see how you react and respond.

Sorry to hear about this, mate, and best of luck with the interview/s.

I also haven't been in the situation for a long time (though it could as easily happen tomorrow, no word of a lie. ZERO stability at the moment).

All I remember about my last interview was that being personable never hurts. I hate people, but hiding that in the interview is advised; just be friendly and if you have similar qualifications and benefits as other applicants, but they recall you as a friendly and personable chap that will fit in nicely, I don't think that ever hurts. :)

Good luck, mate.

Oh, and keep your Facebook page clean. :lol: Kidding because I know you don't have one, but apparently that's quite big for employers now, to check prospective candidates' Facebook pages to see what kind of person they are.

good luck Faron, sorry to hear that but really wish you a very good luck on the interview.

Well, as far as I remember from my last interview (3-4 years ago), don't sell yourself short, believe in your capability, but never brag a lot about it, and make sure that the new company hire you for a good value of money but for you, that salary should be higher than before.

if they ask you, why you want to leave your former company, the best answer is to look for a greater challenge as you feel stagnant and can't improve more at the old place, and tell them that you've researched their company and you have a lot of idea to bring to the table for a significant improvement in the future, sort of thing like that.

usually they also ask you about your current salary, well i don't know in UK, but in Indonesia, i usually 'brag' at least 30% higher because i know there's a very small chance the HRD will check out your former company, so if they offer you 'the same' salary, at least you get a 30% increase :party421:

will post later if i have something that i remember

again, good luck friend :tumbsup:

Thanks to all for replying, I`ll try to take on board some of your points, will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

I'm completly crap at all things like this, and end up usually coming off like a dribbling idiot in interviews, so my advice would be ueseless. All I will say is best of luck and hope it all comes off for you mate. Keep us all posted

I have to wait until Friday to find out if I have a new position (which I am desperate to get) in Royal Mail. The wait is killing me I can tell ya.

Well I went along, there was only three candidates as two didn`t turn up.

We were given some scenarios to write comments about then an observation test involving the three of us.

Finally we had a 20 minute interview with an HR officer and two of the successful candidates will be called back for a more in depth interview with the hiring manager. We`ll know whom on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I was not as nervous as I thought I`d be, could have done better in the written scenario but considering it was my first proper interview in 22 years, I think I did okay, a little bit of waffling but okay.

Not sure whether I did enough to get asked back but if nothing else, it will have helped me in future interviews.

Had a phone call this morning asking me back for a 2nd interview on Tuesday, I hope it comes to something as I have applied for about 20 jobs online and have barely had a response.

Had a phone call this morning asking me back for a 2nd interview on Tuesday, I hope it comes to something as I have applied for about 20 jobs online and have barely had a response.

Well done on the call-back !!!

Great news Faron. What is the job you are going for as a matter of interest? Seriously hope it comes off for ya mate :bananamac:

...And lesser news, I just got a phone call telling me I got my new job within Royal Mail. Well chuffed, as I get out and about in my little red van, get every weekend off, don't have to get up at ridiculous hours of the morning (or night) and am not stuck in doors continuously. Well chuffed.

Great news Faron. What is the job you are going for as a matter of interest? Seriously hope it comes off for ya mate :bananamac:

...And lesser news, I just got a phone call telling me I got my new job within Royal Mail. Well chuffed, as I get out and about in my little red van, get every weekend off, don't have to get up at ridiculous hours of the morning (or night) and am not stuck in doors continuously. Well chuffed.

It`s a production team leader mate, thanks :beerbang:

That`s great news Jez, sounds ideal, does the van have a cd player? :tumbsup:

Good luck to you both! And Jez, I now have the Postman Pat song stuck in my head. ;)

Yes mate, my van has a CD player :headbanger:

Good luck to you both! And Jez, I now have the Postman Pat song stuck in my head. ;)

:lol:

"Postman Jez, Postman Jez, Postman Jez and his black and white..." erm ... ?

;)