THRESHOLD

zacharyamelie

HOLY SHIT!!!! These guys are freaking brilliant. I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan but this is so much easier on the ears. I recently picked up Hypothetical on Ebay for like 4$ and man that was money well spent. After about 2 spins, I got back on Ebay to get some more. I just got Dead Reckoning and it is just as good if not better. I need to get Subsurface and Critical Mass as soon a frakin' possible. They seem to have many live discs, acoustic, best of and cover albums. I think I'll stick to the studio releases, since I have a tendency to dislike live stuff and the rest seem unnecessary.

Just wondering if it's worth going after the pre 2000's stuff from the band? Is it more of the same, I see the vocals are not the same on the really early stuff. Maybe 'Clone' from 1998 might be worth it?

Anyways, I'm lovin' it and I for one can't wait for any future releases.

I love finding new music....well new to me.

I think you still need to get "Wounded Land" (1993), Dave. It's a must-have CD, as far as I am concerned. Threshold are an absolutely awesome Prog-Rock band.

Personally I think the best albums are with Mac singing (one of the best singers in rock music IMO - check Sargent Fury as well).....so from 'Clone' onwards.

'Dead Reckoning' and 'Subsurface' are absolutely essential prog metal albums and are the best in the genre.....much prefer this stuff to the wank of DT.

By the way dont be put off by the live albums - Critical Energy is absolutely magnificent and one of the best live albums I own :-)) Also worth grabbing is 'Concert in Paris' which is also great. And whilst youre at it you might as well get 'Surface To Stage'.

Wounded Land is good, but the vocalist is not as strong......listen to Mac singing Paradox live on Critical Energy and you will see what I mean....absolutely different class.

Unfortunately he has now left the band, but I read the other day that they are recording a new album without Damian Wilson so here's hoping Mac might be back??? We can only dream!

Cheers!

Personally I think the best albums are with Mac singing (one of the best singers in rock music IMO - check Sargent Fury as well).....so from 'Clone' onwards.

'Dead Reckoning' and 'Subsurface' are absolutely essential prog metal albums and are the best in the genre.....much prefer this stuff to the wank of DT.

By the way dont be put off by the live albums - Critical Energy is absolutely magnificent and one of the best live albums I own :-)) Also worth grabbing is 'Concert in Paris' which is also great. And whilst youre at it you might as well get 'Surface To Stage'.

Wounded Land is good, but the vocalist is not as strong......listen to Mac singing Paradox live on Critical Energy and you will see what I mean....absolutely different class.

Unfortunately he has now left the band, but I read the other day that they are recording a new album without Damian Wilson so here's hoping Mac might be back??? We can only dream!

Cheers!

Inspired by this thread I had to pull out and listen to 'Subsurface'

What an albym this is......absolutely sublime melodies throughout...crunching riffs, excellent soaring choruses, Karl Groom's outstanding guitar passages.

The whole thing is just perfect - arguably Threshold's finest moment.

Cheers!

Inspired by this thread I had to pull out and listen to 'Subsurface'

What an albym this is......absolutely sublime melodies throughout...crunching riffs, excellent soaring choruses, Karl Groom's outstanding guitar passages.

The whole thing is just perfect - arguably Threshold's finest moment.

Yes, I agree with Glen on the "Subsurface" CD. Awesome in its own right !! :party421:

• 1 year later...

Oh man my beauties are back with a new album in August through Nuclear Blast called 'March Of Progress' and the first single is a gem.

Love that hook in the chorus, and as usual Karl Groom's guitar work is just outstanding (the outro leaves you desperate for more, I hope the album version is longer than the radio edit!)....me is v excited even if Mac isnt involved :-))))

[media=]

[/media]

Oh man my beauties are back with a new album in August through Nuclear Blast called 'March Of Progress' and the first single is a gem.

Love that hook in the chorus, and as usual Karl Groom's guitar work is just outstanding (the outro leaves you desperate for more, I hope the album version is longer than the radio edit!)....me is v excited even if Mac isnt involved :-))))

OK, just read this -

Please note that the single version of "Ashes" is a shortened radio edit - the song's album version offers about two additional minutes of pure splendour!

Now Im even more excited :-))

Pretty decent straight forward melodic rock tune, imo. You wish a 5 minute song was longer? Wowser... you can have the 2 extra un-needed minutes from my listening experience and make yours a 7 minute song and I'll stick with 3 minutes of this! ;)

Nah, it's okay but they do definitely, certainly miss Mac, severely.

I much prefer Mac's vocals, but this still sounds great.

Come on Glen, getting excited about this and not Circus Maximus....a very similar sound to Threshold, yet with Michael Eriksen of The Magnificent on vox...you really should give the CM another some real spins.

Pretty decent straight forward melodic rock tune, imo. You wish a 5 minute song was longer? Wowser... you can have the 2 extra un-needed minutes from my listening experience and make yours a 7 minute song and I'll stick with 3 minutes of this! ;)

If its an extra 2 minutes of magnificence from Karl Groom I'll take it whole heartedly!

I really thought Thresold without Mac would be a let down but this is great IMO

If its an extra 2 minutes of magnificence from Karl Groom I'll take it whole heartedly!

I really thought Thresold without Mac would be a let down but this is great IMO

I am very excited Wilson is back. I will miss Mac too but I really enjoyed the previous Wilson albums and this seems to be another winner.

I'll give this a go for sure, but those 90 sec samples on iTunes aren't blowing me away I must admit. Sounds a big step back in sound to me. Was hoping for a continuation of the power of Dead Reckoning :-(

We'll see

I'll give this a go for sure, but those 90 sec samples on iTunes aren't blowing me away I must admit. Sounds a big step back in sound to me. Was hoping for a continuation of the power of Dead Reckoning :-(

We'll see

I can understand that. I really dig Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct so the new one is right up my alley.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll see

Wow, how wrong was I. Usually the 90 sec samples on itunes give a pretty good impression but in this case they did nothing to portray the excellence of this album. I pretty much love every track and Wilson sounds amazing.........I dont think Mac would have enhanced these songs by much, if at all.

Another great release from Threshold............needs a good few spins more though before I am anywhere near laying down some score/thoughts

All I will say for now though is that there is some of the best musical passages on this that Threshold have ever played.

It's great and You're right Glen, Wilson sounds excellent, although that comes as no surprise, as he was great in this band before Mac joined. Some of the tunes are less immediate and more proggressive than on the last couple of albums and my god at 75 minutes plus this is no easy fix album, but great non the less with lots of stuff to get ya teeth in to. The boys do it again

• 4 weeks later...

It's great and You're right Glen, Wilson sounds excellent, although that comes as no surprise, as he was great in this band before Mac joined. Some of the tunes are less immediate and more proggressive than on the last couple of albums and my god at 75 minutes plus this is no easy fix album, but great non the less with lots of stuff to get ya teeth in to. The boys do it again

that is great to hear. I loved the samples. this is one my next amazon order.