THRESHOLD

zacharyamelie

It's great and You're right Glen, Wilson sounds excellent, although that comes as no surprise, as he was great in this band before Mac joined. Some of the tunes are less immediate and more proggressive than on the last couple of albums and my god at 75 minutes plus this is no easy fix album, but great non the less with lots of stuff to get ya teeth in to. The boys do it again

that is great to hear. I loved the samples. this is one my next amazon order.

Its excellent! Especially the second half of the album.

Some of the solos are just sublime.....some of best that Groom has played.

It's great and You're right Glen, Wilson sounds excellent, although that comes as no surprise, as he was great in this band before Mac joined. Some of the tunes are less immediate and more proggressive than on the last couple of albums and my god at 75 minutes plus this is no easy fix album, but great non the less with lots of stuff to get ya teeth in to. The boys do it again

that is great to hear. I loved the samples. this is one my next amazon order.

Its excellent! Especially the second half of the album.

Some of the solos are just sublime.....some of best that Groom has played.

its been a good year for prog metal with this, Bad Salad and Distorted Harmony.

The other day I was checking this one out, and I love 'Ashes', however the next three tracks kinda bored me. Haven't got time to finish the album coz I'm afraid the second half will be bad as well, but looks like the stronger part came on the second ?

Talkin about prog metal, couple of friends throw some love on AFFECTOR - Harmageddon and DREAMSCAPE - Everlight, need to check that, but anyone's onto that ?

The other day I was checking this one out, and I love 'Ashes', however the next three tracks kinda bored me. Haven't got time to finish the album coz I'm afraid the second half will be bad as well, but looks like the stronger part came on the second ?

Talkin about prog metal, couple of friends throw some love on AFFECTOR - Harmageddon and DREAMSCAPE - Everlight, need to check that, but anyone's onto that ?

The second half is amazing. Tracks 2-4 are 'weaker' but these still grow on you and all feature awesome musicianship.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm not a fan of this band, I just don't really like Prog and find 99% of songs over 6 minutes long completely unnecessary. However, I downloaded 'Staring At The Sun' from the latest album and it's a fantastic tune!

If this is what these guys can do when they produce concise, relatively simple rock music, I wish they'd do it more often! Any similar songs by them I might need to check out?

I'm not a fan of this band, I just don't really like Prog and find 99% of songs over 6 minutes long completely unnecessary. However, I downloaded 'Staring At The Sun' from the latest album and it's a fantastic tune!

If this is what these guys can do when they produce concise, relatively simple rock music, I wish they'd do it more often! Any similar songs by them I might need to check out?

Try these -

Pressure

Stop Dead

Torn To Shreds

Innocent

Ashes (radio edit)

Thats Why We Came

This Is Your Life

Hollow

Disappear

Phenomenon

Change

Try these -

Pressure

Stop Dead

Torn To Shreds

Innocent

Ashes (radio edit)

Thats Why We Came

This Is Your Life

Hollow

Disappear

Phenomenon

Change

Just the one or two, then?

;)

Try these -

Pressure

Stop Dead

Torn To Shreds

Innocent

Ashes (radio edit)

Thats Why We Came

This Is Your Life

Hollow

Disappear

Phenomenon

Change

A lot of this is too progressive for me really, even the shorter songs. Good music though, a million times better than Dream Theater imo and lots of great guitar solos. Favourite tracks so far in bold above, but will keep listening to see if they start getting to me...

BTW, the guitar solo in 'Change' is immense! One of the best I've heard for a long, long time!

Try these -

Pressure

Stop Dead

Torn To Shreds

Innocent

Ashes (radio edit)

Thats Why We Came

This Is Your Life

Hollow

Disappear

Phenomenon

Change

A lot of this is too progressive for me really, even the shorter songs. Good music though, a million times better than Dream Theater imo and lots of great guitar solos. Favourite tracks so far in bold above, but will keep listening to see if they start getting to me...

BTW, the guitar solo in 'Change' is immense! One of the best I've heard for a long, long time!

Karl Groom is immense. One of my favourite guitarists.

One of THE best Prog bands of recent years. Don't mind if the songs are 4 minutes or 20 minutes long to be honest, I could listen to them all day.

One of THE best Prog bands of recent years. Don't mind if the songs are 4 minutes or 20 minutes long to be honest, I could listen to them all day.

Backed very few fillers in their entire catalogue of songs and the BEST ones are generally the epics.

Yeah, if I was more into Progressive Metal, I'm sure I'd love this band. They definitely have a few good tunes out there and although I'm not a big fan of the genre, they would have to be the second or third best progressive band I've listened to (after Pallas and maybe Opeth).

As I mentioned above, the guitar solo in 'Changes' is jaw-droppingly good. Can you pick out what you think are their best guitar solos? I might have to check out a few more...

Yeah, if I was more into Progressive Metal, I'm sure I'd love this band. They definitely have a few good tunes out there and although I'm not a big fan of the genre, they would have to be the second or third best progressive band I've listened to (after Pallas and maybe Opeth).

As I mentioned above, the guitar solo in 'Changes' is jaw-droppingly good. Can you pick out what you think are their best guitar solos? I might have to check out a few more...

oh my God there are soooo many, this could take some time - i'll get back to you on that one.

One to check out immediately though is 'Opium'.

The intro and solo @ circa 5 mins is just orgasmic.

The song is very progressive though so probably wont appeal to you.

oh my God there are soooo many, this could take some time - i'll get back to you on that one.

One to check out immediately though is 'Opium'.

The intro and solo @ circa 5 mins is just orgasmic.

The song is very progressive though so probably wont appeal to you.

Correct on both counts. Much too progressive for me, but the soloing is awesome!

• 1 year later...
Guest jugjuice

I see the last post here was over a year ago but be that as it may.... I discovered this f...ing gem of a record by chance while looking to choose 6 albums on a special deal at NUCLEAR BLAST and man was that cash well spent. This has in the space of 1 or 2 weeks, become my favorite album of the last 10 years! Damian's voice has got almost the identical Octave timbre of John Anderson - but cleaner and more versatile. I have checked out and ordered the entire Threshold catalog based purely on this album and I have listened to music featuring Damian, Andrew and Jon and for me anyway, Damian is the business. The music hasn't changed much and by that I mean the basic style and thrust right through all three vocalists and that is very refreshing because it means that i am ordering their new release coming out this year, without even having heard a snippet. WOW!!!

Yep, fantastic band.

The last album was great but my favourite albums remain the Mac era....esp Subsurface and Dead Reckoning....those are genre bests imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up Extinct Instinct, Clone, Critical Mass (with the bonus disc) and Subsurface in a local charity shop - I'd heard the name, but not heard much of their music ... Subsurface is an absolute cracker!