How long before you know its a keeper?!

phaffas

So far I have kept all of my CD's, although as I am seriously running out of space, I am starting to think about selling some.

Usually I listen to each new CD at least 3 times, before it goes onto the shelf. With less spins I get a "guilty feeling". ;)

Usually 4 spins for me to decide whether to keep a CD. Used to be 3, but I made some bad decisions on that basis...

Depends on the band/album. Sometimes I know within 1 spin whether it's a "keeper" (or not).

I'm surprised at the number of 'one spin' people. I rarely like anything after one spin, I have to listen at least 3 or 4 times to tell if I'm going to like something. In fact, the more immediate songs are often the ones I get bored of the quickest. Whereas I used to keep all my CDs, these days for me to keep a CD it has to be one I'm likely to play fairly regularly, maybe that's why I give everything such a thorough workout.

Usually one or two spins tells me all I need to know....but I don't get rid of them if they don't click for me as in the past I've gone back years later to a CD only to discover that I like it....of course this has more to do with changing tastes on my part than the quality of the release...

So far I have kept all of my CD's, although as I am seriously running out of space, I am starting to think about selling some.

Usually I listen to each new CD at least 3 times, before it goes onto the shelf. With less spins I get a "guilty feeling". ;)

Never got rid of any?! whoa. Gee i try not to keep any unless i LOVE it... though that rule goes out the window when you start being a completist.

I'm surprised at the number of 'one spin' people. I rarely like anything after one spin, I have to listen at least 3 or 4 times to tell if I'm going to like something. In fact, the more immediate songs are often the ones I get bored of the quickest. Whereas I used to keep all my CDs, these days for me to keep a CD it has to be one I'm likely to play fairly regularly, maybe that's why I give everything such a thorough workout.

Im exactly the same. Ill never just listen to it once, even if it sucks. So many times the first spin just comes and goes before realising it. Some of my most favourite albums did nothing for me first go.

Ill give discs quite a few spins. If no go then it goes in the trade pile (though often they sometimes pop back up in the collection). If i like it then i dont like to put it in the racks as i dont want to forget about a new cool cd. My theory is if i cant remember the words, or the riffs or the song titles... then thats not a good sign.

These days I have 100% faith in my first spin. After that first spin I have made up my mind whether or not it'll stay in my collection. On the odd occasion I do get a "maybe" which needs a few spins, but that's rare.

Like Matty-Boo said, I'm also trying to weed out the stuff I don't love. No point having sub-par stuff there when it's so hard to find time to listen to the stuff you do love.

I admit in the past I have over-looked good albums after a single spin, but over the years I've got it down to a pretty fine art where I trust myself with the thoughts I have. :)

These days I have 100% faith in my first spin. After that first spin I have made up my mind whether or not it'll stay in my collection. On the odd occasion I do get a "maybe" which needs a few spins, but that's rare.

Like Matty-Boo said, I'm also trying to weed out the stuff I don't love. No point having sub-par stuff there when it's so hard to find time to listen to the stuff you do love.

I admit in the past I have over-looked good albums after a single spin, but over the years I've got it down to a pretty fine art where I trust myself with the thoughts I have. :)

my old theory of if i dont love it, i dont keep it, seems to be a little watered down these days.

how good is listening to an album thinking "WHOA where that song come from!? ive had this for years!"

my old theory of if i dont love it, i dont keep it, seems to be a little watered down these days.

how good is listening to an album thinking "WHOA where that song come from!? ive had this for years!"

Yeahbacked. I have it happen quite often, but always on a CD I always knew was good enough to be a keeper. An example is Anberlin's 'Cities' album. I thought it was soooo over-rated when it came out but by lord it's a great album. 'Inevitable' and 'Dismantle: Repair' are two such songs you speak of above. Perfection.