Lion - Dangerous Attraction/Trouble In Angel City

JamesEagle

As a huge Kal Swan fan, I was pleased to eventually track down 'Dangerous Attraction' on CD, and have recently been listening to it. Thing is, it just doesn't impress me. The sound is fine, Kal's vocals are awesome as ever, but the songs are just so ... bland. It's so inferior to 'Trouble In Angel City', which is such an incredible album. I'm surprised 'DA' has such good ratings and reviews, there is just no great song for me, whereas 'TIAC' has so many; e.g. Come On, Can't Stop the Rain, Hold On, Forgotten Sons are all absolutely killer hard rock/metal.

I'd listen to Kal Swan sing Christmas Carols to be honest, so I found this a bit disappointing.

Any other Lion/Swan fans have any comments?

(Hmm ... think I'm going to start a poll on this...)

I heard DA first so that one is might fav. I also love Trouble In Angel City but still feel like DA is the better of the two but just barely. I absolutely love Lion and in some ways like Bad Moon Rising even more and sure wish Kal Swan and Doug Aldrich would find the time to bring one of the two bands back from the dead.

I heard DA first so that one is might fav. I also love Trouble In Angel City but still feel like DA is the better of the two but just barely. I absolutely love Lion and in some ways like Bad Moon Rising even more and sure wish Kal Swan and Doug Aldrich would find the time to bring one of the two bands back from the dead.

Certainly agree on the last bit. Would like to hear Kal in any band, I wonder why he has taken to depriving us of his unique voice?

Certainly agree on the last bit. Would like to hear Kal in any band, I wonder why he has taken to depriving us of his unique voice?

I had read several years back when Doug first joined Whitesnake that he was hoping to record another Burning Rain disc but no mention of ever working with Kal again. Coverdale did mention his name in an interview last year but again no mention of what he's doing now.

Got into Lion because of The Tranformers theme. I wouldn't say the albums are world apart, but I think Trouble In Angel City has slightly better songs overall. I'm surprised you find it so bland. Fatal Attraction, Never Surrender, Power Love and After The Fire are as good as anything off Trouble in my opinion. Love the production on DA too. Jeez, imagine if Trouble had the same production job as DA :party421:

Interesting difference of opinion. The four songs I listed, ('Come On', 'Can't Stop the Rain', 'Hold On', 'Forgotten Sons') are all amazing hard rock/metal, completely unforgettable, original, brilliant. Although there are some good tracks on 'DA', such as 'After The Fire', none of them are up to the incredible standard of those four songs. To me, 'Fatal Attraction' and 'Power Love' are okay rock songs, but nothing special and quite forgettable.

The Transformers theme is a different story - classic!

:banger:

Hard choice. Both albums are excellent and sorry James, but I can't really understand an argument that one is bland and the other is not (Once again I think it's because you're familiar with one while the other is new to you?). If I had to chose I'd probably pick 'Trouble in angel city' as my fave too, but man it'd be by a slight margain. I prefer the slightly beefier sound of 'Dangerous Attraction', but probably just a few more excellent songs on 'Angel city'.

On a side note, bought 'Dangerous attraction' off ebay for a great price recently, was absolutely delighted, then it never came. Too good to be true for sure. Luckily I got my refund with no issue at all, but I was pretty pissed off. Still seeking this one.

I haven't heard the 2nd album. The first is OK, but pretty basic. I can't say I'm a big fan of the vocals either. Major props for the Transformers theme though.

Haha, a partner in crime. Always enjoyed Lion and the debut Bad Moon Rising CD, and definitely appreciate his efforts as a vocalist (you can tell he puts everything into it) but yeah, I agree. I never really thought he had a good voice at all. :) Oh well, to each their own.

I dont know how you could love TIAC so greatly, and think DA is that much different, I will pick DA anyday, favorite track being Hard & Heavy, but they are both great discs!

Love em both, awesome albums that rate very highly with me. I'm still after a copy of 'Dangerous Attraction' as I have only ever had it on CDR. I haven't heard the first album 'Power Love'.

Hard choice. Both albums are excellent and sorry James, but I can't really understand an argument that one is bland and the other is not (Once again I think it's because you're familiar with one while the other is new to you?). If I had to chose I'd probably pick 'Trouble in angel city' as my fave too, but man it'd be by a slight margain. I prefer the slightly beefier sound of 'Dangerous Attraction', but probably just a few more excellent songs on 'Angel city'.

On a side note, bought 'Dangerous attraction' off ebay for a great price recently, was absolutely delighted, then it never came. Too good to be true for sure. Luckily I got my refund with no issue at all, but I was pretty pissed off. Still seeking this one.

Have to agree to disagree yet again. :whistle:

I have listened to both albums loads of times, I am familiar with Dangerous Attraction now and maintain that for me there are no outstanding tracks. I like at least half of the songs, but there aren't any that make me think, "whoa, that was something special", unlike the follow up, which has several. Having said that, with so few Kal Swan albums to choose from, I'll probably hang onto it for now.

BTW, I can highly recommend the Tytan album (which is probably enough to warn you off it). Definitely a metal album, but some great songs on it and Mr Swan doing what he does best.

What he said.

What he said.

What is the last anyone has heard about Kal? Has he packed it in, or just gone missing?