HotTub Time Machine

66 mustang

There are actually 3 movies out within the next week I wanna see. HotTub Time Machine looks like a must.LOL

Can't even remember the name of the second one. Its the one where the loser ends up with a hot chick. The one with the pool scene where she says something like... "underwear would be OK... if I were wearing any".

All of the sudden this cheap humor seems funny to me again.. :screwy:

And lastly... But for sure the first one I'm gonna see is The Runaways movie which comes out next week. Pretty sure I'll be going to that one on opening night.

There are actually 3 movies out within the next week I wanna see. HotTub Time Machine looks like a must.LOL

Can't even remember the name of the second one. Its the one where the loser ends up with a hot chick. The one with the pool scene where she says something like... "underwear would be OK... if I were wearing any".

All of the sudden this cheap humor seems funny to me again.. :screwy:

And lastly... But for sure the first one I'm gonna see is The Runaways movie which comes out next week. Pretty sure I'll be going to that one on opening night.

The movie You are thinking of is "She's Outta My League" And yea that looks pretty damn funny too.... :rofl2:

And that Runaways movie looks good too.. Dakota Fanning CAN sing!!! :tumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Haha. You guys are freaks. Everything about this screams to me STAY THE F*CK AWAY from the screen. But I guess if there's some sexy sluts in it I'll watch the DVD one day. :)

I've been thinking about this the last couple days. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the movie really moved me. I realize that it's a gross out comedy, but there is definetely more to it. It's basically about 3 old friends (and a nephew) who's lives are miserable. Somewhere along the line things have gone wrong and they don't know why. They have gone so far astray from where they should be in life that they don't even really like each other any more. One guy tries to end it all. The old friends (and nephew) go on a trip to a place where they had fun in better times. They do some hard partying and wake up in 1986. That's where it gets good.

They try to do everything they did originally in an attempt to not change history. After a while they venture off the path and it ends up changing that moment in time for the better as well as their future. Anybody who finds themselves in a bad situation in life can relate to these guys. Sometimes life goes horribly wrong and you honestly don't know why. If you were given a chance to change things would you? It's certainly crossed my mind. Depending on what part of my life you look at there are many moments that I wish I could change. Maybe if I would have taken a chance with this girl or that one I would be married? If I told my family to f off after graduation 7 years ago maybe I would be on my own now, successful, and happy? Just a lot of things like that. A redo would be nice in certain situations.

The movie itself has other things to contemplate as well. I was like 2 years old when the movie is supposed to take place. I don't remember anything about the 80's. If it was anything like the movie I would love to go there. Lots of beautiful women and more than eager to give it up. In one scene the nephew (Jacob) and Lou were sitting there looking miserable. A hot girl came by and asked them what happened (since Lou's face was all beat up). They say it was a dear. A minute later she's taking them back to her room. She pulls Jacob's pants down and takes off her clothes. That was a wow moment. Were girls actually like that back then? I can honestly say I have never been in a situation like that. If that's what it was like back then I want to go. Anyway, Jacob freaks out and runs out of there because he thinks that by doing it he might not be born.

There are a lot of interesting possibilities. If one were to wake up in the past before they were born what would you do? If by certain actions you thought it threatened your very existence it might take the fun out of it. If I thought by having sex with the hot girl I would cease to exist I would have certainly freaked out as well. If not I would have soaked up every minute of fun. Wouldn't that be something if you got a girl pregnant and you end up with a kid older than you? Certainly a mindboggling prospect. Can't say I wouldn't mind taking the chance.

Overall the movie is about the yearning to go back to a better time. I was a small tyke at that time, but even I know things were better back then.

• 3 months later...

I saw this over the weekend. Great movie! Unfortunately I had to point out to those watching it with me that the movie takes place in 1986 but during one scene you can hear a Bulletboys song being played in the background and their s/t album didn't come out until 1988. Also, the Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home" vid at the end kind of took a little away from the movie because that song came out in '85, yet the character supposedly just made it with the band sometime after 1986. Damn I hate being so nitpicky! :lol:

I must say Poison looked very realistic when they were seen onstage from a distance.

It was definitely a great movie, it had me wishing I could go back in time and do the same thing.

I saw this over the weekend. Great movie! Unfortunately I had to point out to those watching it with me that the movie takes place in 1986 but during one scene you can hear a Bulletboys song being played in the background and their s/t album didn't come out until 1988. Also, the Motley Crue "Home Sweet Home" vid at the end kind of took a little away from the movie because that song came out in '85, yet the character supposedly just made it with the band sometime after 1986. Damn I hate being so nitpicky! :lol:

I must say Poison looked very realistic when they were seen onstage from a distance.

It was definitely a great movie, it had me wishing I could go back in time and do the same thing.

I pointed out the same things and it always drives my wife crazy when I do that. Besides those two things I did love the movie.

The part about The Drive was also questionable. It was Winterfest 86' and The Drive happened in 87'. Anyone else wonder about that?

Yup I noticed that as well. The drive was in January 1987 but was the 1986 season.

wasn't the song when they first went back in time out of place? the song was maybe Crue (i'd have to watch again to make sure) kick start my heart as they were on the mountain. Yes, just checked it.

overall I enjoyed the movie more than expected.

long read but an interesting theory I found on IMDB:

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

the entire 80's sequence is going on in Lou's head as he commits suicide in the garage. this is why the main part of the movie seems to be such a disjointed mess of 80's cultural elements, elements which have been picked apart elsewhere in these forums and decried as historical errors.

in one of these forum threads the question is asked "Who found Lou after he tried to commit suicide and brought him to the hospital?" this question is the first key to understanding the movie. in fact, Lou was NOT found. the entire movie after the suicide scene was his fantasy world he imagined to himself as he listened to that Motley Crue song in his car and gunned the engine. he was loaded on an energy drink we see him holding and the vodka he is sucking down. frustrated by the turn his life has taken and by his friends' abandonment of him, he has worked himself into a frenzied state in which he imagines his friends uniting at the hospital and then their returning to the resort where he had his best memories with them. Etc.

we know this because in the end as the credits roll he has imagined himself into an actual Motley Crue video, the video of the same song he was singing as he killed himself. he obviously loves that song and has seen the video a million times and uses it as a refuge from his disappointing present-day life. the song takes him back in his mind to what he sees as the one time in his life when everything was great.

before dismissing this theory about the film's true intent, first try assuming that there is more to the movie than first meets the eye and consider these points:

even if the time machine existed and he could make himself rich by prior knowledge of modern advances he still would not be able to infiltrate a legendary rock band and take the lead singer's place. this was fantasy.

things in Lou's version of the 80's are not necessarily how they really were, but how Lou is remembering them. therefore the "errors" are deliberate. the most flagrant thing is the very Motley Crue song, Home Sweet Home, which acts as Lou's theme song. that song came out before 1986, the time period of the events of the ski resort. Motley Crue was already huge. it was clearly too late to become the band's lead singer, no matter what special privileges traveling back from 2010 might give you.

on the one hand, you could conclude that the movie is stupid because everyone knows that Home Sweet Home was already out at that time. but on the other hand you could assume the writer of the movie is actually trying to tell us something else - the whole thing is going on in Lou's head as he checks out from the world.

with this in mind, if you re-watch the initial hospital scene after he was supposedly found and brought in the dialogue makes more sense.

for example, when Nick and Adam meet up at the hospital they obviously are not at ease with each other and unfamiliar. it has been a long time, and they also are ill at ease with the idea of having to deal with Lou. then 3 minutes later at Lou's bedside they gleefully announce that they have hatched a plan to take Lou to the K Valley ski resort to relive their former glory days. really? they can barely relax being in the same room together. when did they decide all that?

this and similar details only make sense if Lou is imagining it all. the movie begins with him committing suicide while drunkenly singing Home Sweet Home, a cherished moment from his past. then after a completely surreal sequence of events from back in the 80's, the only time Lou was ever happy in life, the movie ends with the same song, but now he has actually BECOME the lead singer of Motley Crue and has been inserted into the MTV video of that song playing in his head as he belts out each line of the lyrics at the top of his lungs. the makers of the film are trying to tell us something. Lou was always the wild one of the bunch, and now in his frustration he has really gone all the way. he has receded into his mind to a place of no return. at the end of that video as the credits roll Lou looks straight into the camera, flips us the bird and then the image freezes on his final sly grin. Lou is gone.

long read but an interesting theory I found on IMDB:

WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

the entire 80's sequence is going on in Lou's head as he commits suicide in the garage. this is why the main part of the movie seems to be such a disjointed mess of 80's cultural elements, elements which have been picked apart elsewhere in these forums and decried as historical errors.

in one of these forum threads the question is asked "Who found Lou after he tried to commit suicide and brought him to the hospital?" this question is the first key to understanding the movie. in fact, Lou was NOT found. the entire movie after the suicide scene was his fantasy world he imagined to himself as he listened to that Motley Crue song in his car and gunned the engine. he was loaded on an energy drink we see him holding and the vodka he is sucking down. frustrated by the turn his life has taken and by his friends' abandonment of him, he has worked himself into a frenzied state in which he imagines his friends uniting at the hospital and then their returning to the resort where he had his best memories with them. Etc.

we know this because in the end as the credits roll he has imagined himself into an actual Motley Crue video, the video of the same song he was singing as he killed himself. he obviously loves that song and has seen the video a million times and uses it as a refuge from his disappointing present-day life. the song takes him back in his mind to what he sees as the one time in his life when everything was great.

before dismissing this theory about the film's true intent, first try assuming that there is more to the movie than first meets the eye and consider these points:

even if the time machine existed and he could make himself rich by prior knowledge of modern advances he still would not be able to infiltrate a legendary rock band and take the lead singer's place. this was fantasy.

things in Lou's version of the 80's are not necessarily how they really were, but how Lou is remembering them. therefore the "errors" are deliberate. the most flagrant thing is the very Motley Crue song, Home Sweet Home, which acts as Lou's theme song. that song came out before 1986, the time period of the events of the ski resort. Motley Crue was already huge. it was clearly too late to become the band's lead singer, no matter what special privileges traveling back from 2010 might give you.

on the one hand, you could conclude that the movie is stupid because everyone knows that Home Sweet Home was already out at that time. but on the other hand you could assume the writer of the movie is actually trying to tell us something else - the whole thing is going on in Lou's head as he checks out from the world.

with this in mind, if you re-watch the initial hospital scene after he was supposedly found and brought in the dialogue makes more sense.

for example, when Nick and Adam meet up at the hospital they obviously are not at ease with each other and unfamiliar. it has been a long time, and they also are ill at ease with the idea of having to deal with Lou. then 3 minutes later at Lou's bedside they gleefully announce that they have hatched a plan to take Lou to the K Valley ski resort to relive their former glory days. really? they can barely relax being in the same room together. when did they decide all that?

this and similar details only make sense if Lou is imagining it all. the movie begins with him committing suicide while drunkenly singing Home Sweet Home, a cherished moment from his past. then after a completely surreal sequence of events from back in the 80's, the only time Lou was ever happy in life, the movie ends with the same song, but now he has actually BECOME the lead singer of Motley Crue and has been inserted into the MTV video of that song playing in his head as he belts out each line of the lyrics at the top of his lungs. the makers of the film are trying to tell us something. Lou was always the wild one of the bunch, and now in his frustration he has really gone all the way. he has receded into his mind to a place of no return. at the end of that video as the credits roll Lou looks straight into the camera, flips us the bird and then the image freezes on his final sly grin. Lou is gone.

Makes sense to me...I'll subscribe to that theory.

Ok, so now I'm going through the Hot Tub forum over at IMDB and someone started a thread called "Based on a True Story??". The responses are fricken Classic!! :rofl2:

Here are some responses to that question:

"Yes. Time travel and all."

"It was a documentary, and the events took place in real time."

"but of course it is...they just change a main heroes name for confidentiality.

Lou in real lifestory is Gou.

who have seen movie understand :)"

• 8 months later...

Just saw this on Sky premiere. One of the biggest wastes of 85 minutes of my life....EVER :hammer:

Just saw this on Sky premiere. One of the biggest wastes of 85 minutes of my life....EVER :hammer:

Really? Seriously Jez?? :yikes:

Watch it again! And this time consume mass quantities of alcohol before doing so. It is sure to become your most favorite movie ever. ;)