Need a little help from the gang here...

Jeff

Before I ask, I just want to clarify that I am not griping about anything or saying anything is wrong with what I received, and if you happen to be a member of this forum that I bought these from maybe you can answer but I am just curious, this is for my own info I guess...

So I won 5 cd's on Ebay the other day:

1. House of Lords - World Upside Down

2. House of Lords - Come To My Kingdom

3. Chris Laney - Pure

4. Eden's Curse - Second Coming

5. Hurricane - Liquifury

They arrived quickly, look like new, etc. Thing is, they all have this writing:

Approved for sale, trading, and distribution only in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic States.

There is some other writing, probably looks Russian.

All but the Hurricane cd seemed to be distributed by IronD

The inside of the cd on the silver says www.disc.ru

The inner rim of the cd's read "Laser craft www.disc.ru Iron cd" then a list of numbers and letters.

I took a photo of the backs and the Chris Laney front, not easy to see though:

http://www.xoopit.com/s/210upsyc1l2jhmx4sbih

Anyone have any thoughts about these, are they legit (again, not to piss anyone off if they are legit, just for my own info), etc.?

Thanks all.

They're legit releases for Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and the Baltic States....I've picked up many of these sort of releases and they are just as good as any other releases IMO......the advantage is they are cheaper than other releases because many collectors consider them to be lesser quality which once again IMO is crap....

What Dead Planet said.

I personally don't give a hoot if a CD is from the US, Europe, Russia, China, Mars, or the Klingon Empire. If it's a CD I want and the price is right, it's mine.

I've done this a few times, no problem with the CDs at all. If you decide to sell any of them on, you may get less than you would for a US or UK release. You can expect fireworks if you list them on eBay without mentioning that they are Russian releases.

My Burning Rain discs are from Russia as well although the seller on ebay didn't specify this.

They sound and look the same from what I can tell except for the Russian writing.

I know this forum is very torn on this subject and there's been many threads with yelling and screaming involved.

I've done this a few times, no problem with the CDs at all. If you decide to sell any of them on, you may get less than you would for a US or UK release. You can expect fireworks if you list them on eBay without mentioning that they are Russian releases.

Good points, because yeah, it would have been nice if the seller had mentioned they were Russian releases but as long as they are legit I'm not upset about that. I would have preferred them to be US releases or even better Japan!

I always like it when a seller gives as much info as possible, that way I dont have to ask and wont bid if I am being particular about something.

I know it is probably a pain for the seller but like vinyl where the grading is specific, I like it when they grade the front insert, cd, tray card seperately and give info like music club, etc.

My Burning Rain discs are from Russia as well although the seller on ebay didn't specify this.

They sound and look the same from what I can tell except for the Russian writing.

I know this forum is very torn on this subject and there's been many threads with yelling and screaming involved.

Another good point, if they didn't sound as good, THEN I would yell and scream....at someone, I dunno who. :lol:

The exact same thing happened to me with the Burning Rain CD's <_<

As long as the seller clearly states "Russian Pressing" then it's up to the buyer if he wants that or not but like Wes, when I purchased them a few years ago, there was nothing stating it was a "Russian Pressing" which pissed me off :angry2:

The exact same thing happened to me with the Burning Rain CD's <_<

As long as the seller clearly states "Russian Pressing" then it's up to the buyer if he wants that or not but like Wes, when I purchased them a few years ago, there was nothing stating it was a "Russian Pressing" which pissed me off :angry2:

In my case the seller was in the UK and I had no reason to believe that they were Russian pressings however the price was very good and at that time they were the only copies on ebay and those were becoming tough to find so maybe I should of been a little suspicious.

They're legit, although some can be of reduced quality with respect to the disc manufacturing (swirling color, thinner disc), the artwork printing, and the jewel case.

Russian labels pay lower royalties due to economic conditions with the (supposed) limitation that those discs are sold only within the Russian republics. With the worldwide reach of eBay though, nothing prevents people from selling those discs anywhere.

It unfortunately undercuts those playing by the rules, and ultimately the bands receive less than if people bought from the labels that actually have license to sell in the buyer's country.

It's a bit underhanded though, when you have eBay sellers in the U.S. and the U.K. importing those Russian discs in bulk and selling them outside of Russia.

Not much anyone can do about it though. There's no enforcement, either by eBay or anyone else, so it's a buyer's market.

-Dan

Most Russian pressings are lower quality as stated and there is a fine line between being a a legit pressing and a bootleg. Russia is on the international list of heavy bootlegging countries for music as most Russian replicators do not follow any international standard set up by IFPI for stopping pirating of music. Because most Russian replicators are not registered with IFPI (which is the international organisation that monitors pressings by music manufacturers by cataloguing licensed anti-pirating CD producing equipment), it is easy for them to produce legit licensed products while also producing bootleg product underhand for profit. Without any way to monitor what is being produced and sold...of course the bands get screwed. Any record label that allows their product to be pressed by a Russian replicator is running this risk. It is a buyer beware when dealing with Russian CDs.

It unfortunately undercuts those playing by the rules, and ultimately the bands receive less than if people bought from the labels that actually have license to sell in the buyer's country.

-Dan

I don't think anyone would argue the fact that the actual band receives less. But correct me if I am wrong or misinformed ... MOST of the time a buyer uses ebay the artist is making nothing whether the CDs are Russian or not. In many cases (unless a CD is OOP) people prefer ebay over a record store or ordering directly from a band if they can save a dollar or two. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but most people would prefer to save that money rather then put it in the pocket of a band or record company.

Am I total misinformed or off base with this notion?

-Dan

I don't think anyone would argue the fact that the actual band receives less. But correct me if I am wrong or misinformed ... MOST of the time a buyer uses ebay the artist is making nothing whether the CDs are Russian or not. In many cases (unless a CD is OOP) people prefer ebay over a record store or ordering directly from a band if they can save a dollar or two. I'm not saying it is right or wrong but most people would prefer to save that money rather then put it in the pocket of a band or record company.

Am I total misinformed or off base with this notion?

If you're talking about USED discs, you're correct. But if you're talking about new product, those discs still have to come from somewhere, whether in market or out of market. The artist's cut is taken farther up the chain, prior to wholesale distribution.

-Dan

They're legit, although some can be of reduced quality with respect to the disc manufacturing (swirling color, thinner disc), the artwork printing, and the jewel case.

Russian labels pay lower royalties due to economic conditions with the (supposed) limitation that those discs are sold only within the Russian republics. With the worldwide reach of eBay though, nothing prevents people from selling those discs anywhere.

It's a bit underhanded though, when you have eBay sellers in the U.S. and the U.K. importing those Russian discs in bulk and selling them outside of Russia.

Not much anyone can do about it though. There's no enforcement, either by eBay or anyone else, so it's a buyer's market.

-Dan

Hmmm, don't like the idea that the sound quality can be reduced.

The artwork seems pretty good actually.

I rechecked the auction I won and he does not mention Russian releases but at the bottom it does say "Frontier Records/IronD". The IronD meant nothing to me...until now.

I'll probably just send him a note to say it would be preferring if you listed your cd's as Russian releases.

See, if they are legit and the sound quality and artwork is just as good, I'm fine with it. But if you are selling something of a lesser quality, then you need to state that, IMO.

I'll probably just need to add this to the list of questions I need to ask someone before bidding on certaint things <sigh>.

Well, good info for me guys...I learn something here all the time. Thanks.

I pretty much exclusively buy all my melodic rock new releases from Russia and if there is any difference in sound or booklet quality I sure as hell haven't detected it. It's not that I don't believe it - well in terms of sound quality anyway (seriously, artwork is identical) - but to actually notice it would take a hell of a lot of effort.

As I've said in several threads, to me they are identical to the European releases, just with a few more distribution labels on the back insert. If it saves me about (AT LEAST) us$5-$10 a CD I'm sorry the band gets smaller royalties, but f*ck me, I'm not exactly raking it in either and $5-$10 per CD is a GIGANTIC saving when buying the amount of CDs I (stupidly) still do.

???

I never said the sound quality might be reduced, just the manufacturing quality.

The ones I've seen in the last 1-2 years have gotten considerably better than 8-10 years ago. Some of the older discs were wafer-thin and the bottoms of the discs were cloudy.

Only time will tell how these hold up over the long haul, comparatively speaking.

Anyone else remember how you used to be able to feel a tangible difference between Japanese discs of the 1980s and 1990s versus their U.S. and U.K. counterparts? The Japanese discs were thicker, heavier, and made of a higher grade material. Back then it felt like you were buying something superior.

-Dan

???

I never said the sound quality might be reduced, just the manufacturing quality.

The ones I've seen in the last 1-2 years have gotten considerably better than 8-10 years ago. Some of the older discs were wafer-thin and the bottoms of the discs were cloudy.

Only time will tell how these hold up over the long haul, comparatively speaking.

Anyone else remember how you used to be able to feel a tangible difference between Japanese discs of the 1980s and 1990s versus their U.S. and U.K. counterparts? The Japanese discs were thicker, heavier, and made of a higher grade material. Back then it felt like you were buying something superior.

-Dan

I don't have a ton of Jap discs but I haven't noticed that difference and even on some of the US discs seem to be heavier and thicker than they do these days.

???

-Dan

Yep, I read your post too fast I guess. I'll just have to give these a listen at work this week or rip them to my Ipod and see how they sound.

Speaking of Japanese releases, say for example when Crashdiet releases their new CD this spring I want to get my hands on the JP release instead. Where is the best place to buy those? Is there a reputable JP online CD store that any of you have purchased from?

I got to thinking the other day if a song like "Caught In Despair" is not on it, then maybe it will be on the JP release. Great tune and hard to believe it is not on the disc, unless they totally renamed it.

I picked up Kick Axe-IV from a Ebay seller for $15AUS and that includes postage.The seller did state that it was a Russian pressing and looking at it it seems legit.2004 Major MTM Music & Publishing is on the back cover and 2004 CD-Maximum LTD is on the cd.

It even comes with a obi but of course in Russian. :lol: