KEEL - Streets Of Rock & Roll

rockdoc

Only ever heard the self titled album. 'United Nations' is an amazing track, 'Somebody's Waiting' is very good and 'Don't Say You Love Me' is one of the best ballads I've heard, so I'm intrigued to hear more.

Interested to hear what people think of their other stuff. Tempted to invest in 'Lay Down The Law' and/or 'The Right To Rock'...

Only ever heard the self titled album. 'United Nations' is an amazing track, 'Somebody's Waiting' is very good and 'Don't Say You Love Me' is one of the best ballads I've heard, so I'm intrigued to hear more.

Interested to hear what people think of their other stuff. Tempted to invest in 'Lay Down The Law' and/or 'The Right To Rock'...

Every Keel album rocks & is worth checking out if you love hard rock music :beerbang:

"The Right to Rock" is awesome and is being reissued and I believe just became available from Frontiers, pick up this version instead of other versions, unless you can find an original that is(not sure if A&M ever issued it on cd originally or not).

"The Final Frontier" is my fav from the band and if you like the self titled disc you'll love this one.

"Lay Down the Law" is a killer Metal album to and while the production isn't great(remember this was 1984) it's sounds pretty much like the "Steeler" release but without Malmsteen's solos and at times reminds me of a lighter Judas Priest. This was just reissed by Shrapnel Records.

"Larger than Live" is a very good disc to with the first six songs new songs(including a cover) and all are great espcially the first four tunes. The last six songs are live and sound very good and include two new songs("Hard as Hell" & "Private Lies") and a song that had only been released in a movie up to that point("Rock N Roll Outlaw"). This was reissued in 1998 on the DRock label.

"Back in Action" was also released by DRock and is a collection of old unreleased tunes and there isn't a bad song in the bunch IMO.

Cheers for that h&h, just ordered the new Frontiers release of 'Right To Rock' and watching 'Final Frontier' in ebay...

Meh...no interest whatsoever... <_<

Liked Keel well enough back in the day, but not EVERY band from that era has to reunite....

"The Right to Rock" is awesome and is being reissued and I believe just became available from Frontiers, pick up this version instead of other versions, unless you can find an original that is(not sure if A&M ever issued it on cd originally or not).

"The Final Frontier" is my fav from the band and if you like the self titled disc you'll love this one.

"Lay Down the Law" is a killer Metal album to and while the production isn't great(remember this was 1984) it's sounds pretty much like the "Steeler" release but without Malmsteen's solos and at times reminds me of a lighter Judas Priest. This was just reissed by Shrapnel Records.

"Larger than Live" is a very good disc to with the first six songs new songs(including a cover) and all are great espcially the first four tunes. The last six songs are live and sound very good and include two new songs("Hard as Hell" & "Private Lies") and a song that had only been released in a movie up to that point("Rock N Roll Outlaw"). This was reissued in 1998 on the DRock label.

"Back in Action" was also released by DRock and is a collection of old unreleased tunes and there isn't a bad song in the bunch IMO.

Pretty much agree. Can't really go wrong with any Keel album. Looking forward to hearing the new one. 'The Final Frontier' is my favourite after the s/t too.

I just checked out all 12 sound samples of this new album, and I gotta say I won't be picking this up. While their 1987 self-titled release is a classic of the genre, this new one feels stale and generic as it comes imo. I'm all for sticking to your roots, but dang if this new one didn't sound boring and very formulaic. I would never reach for this on my shelf if I bought it. A shame too as Keel has done plenty of good tunes in their career.

I just checked out all 12 sound samples of this new album, and I gotta say I won't be picking this up. While their 1987 self-titled release is a classic of the genre, this new one feels stale and generic as it comes imo. I'm all for sticking to your roots, but dang if this new one didn't sound boring and very formulaic. I would never reach for this on my shelf if I bought it. A shame too as Keel has done plenty of good tunes in their career.

There was another thread around here someplace with the samples and I was kind of underwhelmed with them as well but I've made the mistake of listening to samples and passing on a cd before only to find years later that I missed out on a killer release. Then again I've also loved samples then was let down by the disc when I got to hear the whole thing so for the most part I don't put much stock in short samples unless I can hear the entire song.

Keel - The Right To Rock did recieve a CD pressing in Japan during the mid 80's. It is long ouut of print quite difficult get a hold of but seems to pop up on ebay every few months.

There was another thread around here someplace with the samples and I was kind of underwhelmed with them as well but I've made the mistake of listening to samples and passing on a cd before only to find years later that I missed out on a killer release. Then again I've also loved samples then was let down by the disc when I got to hear the whole thing so for the most part I don't put much stock in short samples unless I can hear the entire song.

Yes you are so right 95% of the time the samples do not give the song justice at all . I have did the same listened to a sample and said big deal and in a year or two bought it . Now I just buy every damn thing out !!

Finally heard this one through. Hard to say exactly what I think of it. It's definitely not bad... just extremely safe. It's like they're stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear for the whole album and never really actually just get wild. I'm not used to hearing something this polite from Keel - there's no real grit or balls here.

As I said, not bad, inoffensive and certainly worthwhile, but a pretty safe comeback from these guys. The last song, 'Brothers in blood' is the best thing on this, imo. It's a little bit harder rocking that the rest of it.

Finally heard this one through. Hard to say exactly what I think of it. It's definitely not bad... just extremely safe. It's like they're stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear for the whole album and never really actually just get wild. I'm not used to hearing something this polite from Keel - there's no real grit or balls here.

As I said, not bad, inoffensive and certainly worthwhile, but a pretty safe comeback from these guys. The last song, 'Brothers in blood' is the best thing on this, imo. It's a little bit harder rocking that the rest of it.

I've just played the first track, the title track, and it's a great song but yeah it is safe but the solo kicks ass and sounds like it should me the solo of a heavier song.

I'm through the first 6 songs and I love them all.

Sure they could have a little more "balls" as Geoff said but there still very good songs.

I'd say this disc is closest to the self-titled disc from 1987 and the new songs that were on the 'Larger than Live' release.

I'm through the first 6 songs and I love them all.

Sure they could have a little more "balls" as Geoff said but there still very good songs.

I'd say this disc is closest to the self-titled disc from 1987 and the new songs that were on the 'Larger than Live' release.

Yeah, I agree the stlye of the album is definitely most like the s/t album. I also liked all the songs, but as I said I'd constantly rate them about 3/5. If there were just a few crackers in the mix I'd be happier.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like this disc.

The self titiled was my favorite, so I love when Keel decide to sound more melodic.

Agree with Geoff ,Brothers in blood is my favorite track toghether with Live.

They are at the end of the cd, I would have started with those two gems.