Now That's What I Call Crap!

Fat Freddy

now_31.jpg

My six year old niece is visiting with us today and she brought her brand spankin' new copy of the latest "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC" compilation CD with her. When the kids sat down to eat lunch she handed me the CD and said "Unca Keef, can we jam?" ... so I threw it in the CD player, albeit reluctantly...

...the CD just ended and Ho-lee CRAP, that was awful. Throughout the playing time I kept having to resist the urge to imitate Butt-head and ask "What the HELL is this crap?" At the risk of sounding like someone's Mom, is this what passes for pop music nowadays? I am unfamiliar with a good three quarters of the lineup contained herein, but to me it sounds like just about anyone with a drum machine and a Casio keyboard can be a star nowadays... Geez. Just look at this track listing of terror:

1. The Black Eyed Peas – "Boom Boom Pow" (3:38)

2. Flo Rida – "Right Round" (3:24)

3. Lady Gaga – "Poker Face" (3:57)

4. Pitbull – "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" (3:01)

5. Jamie Foxx featuring T-Pain – "Blame It" (4:21)

6. T.I. featuring Justin Timberlake – "Dead and Gone" (3:52)

7. Kid Cudi – "Day 'n' Nite" (3:40)

8. Soulja Boy Tell 'Em featuring Sammie – "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" (3:11)

9. Beyoncé – "Halo" (3:43)

10. Ne-Yo – "Mad" (4:10)

11. Pink – "Please Don't Leave Me" (3:49)

12. Ciara featuring Justin Timberlake – "Love Sex Magic" (3:39)

13. Britney Spears – "If U See Amy" (3:33)

14. Kelly Clarkson – "My Life Would Suck Without You" (3:31)

15. 3OH!3 – "Don't Trust Me" (3:12)

16. The Ting Tings – "That's Not My Name" (3:28)

17. The Fray – "You Found Me" (3:58)

18. Nickelback – "If Today Was Your Last Day" (4:05)

19. Lady Antebellum – "I Run to You" (4:13)

20. Charice – "Note to God" (3:59)

I tells ya, I was never so happy to hear a frickin Nickelback song towards the end of this torture session -- at least it had a guitar in it!!

It absolutely TERRIFIES me to think that there are 30 MORE volumes of this shit series!! :yikes:

To add to your pain you will probably get the chance to hear many more volumes in the future because...

a. your niece is only 6

b. 29 of the 31 volumes have reached the top 3 in the Billboard Top 10.

c. The volume you had the pleasure of listening to is supposedly going to debut at #1 on the Top 200 Albums chart in a few days.

Bon Jovi were on the one that came out in 06, that was about the only decent song on it tho :/

goddan Boom Boom Pow, how sucky is that song?!?!

i generally hate anything where the backing music was made via synths and drum machines....i can deal with synthesised music ala Vince DiCola, infact id call myself a fan of 80s synth like Jan Hammer and DiCola....but this is completely different :s

Oh and count yourself lucky, in England theyre DOUBLE DISC!!! :yikes:

but to be fair, they started here in 83 or something, so i guess the first 10 years worth of albums werent too bad....i dont know what was on them tho

I tells ya, I was never so happy to hear a frickin Nickelback song towards the end of this torture session -- at least it had a guitar in it!!

It absolutely TERRIFIES me to think that there are 30 MORE volumes of this shit series!! :yikes:

thank you, that made me laugh out loud and I really needed something funny.

To add to your pain you will probably get the chance to hear many more volumes in the future because...

a. your niece is only 6

c. The volume you had the pleasure of listening to is supposedly going to debut at #1 on the Top 200 Albums chart in a few days.

Thanks for the warning. :yikes: I will inform my niece that from here on, no further volumes of this series are allowed in my home. She'll probably cry, of course, and 20 years from now she'll be telling her therapist all about how mean Unca Keef was to her when she was little and that'll make it awkward at family gatherings, but I can live with that. :lol:

i can deal with synthesised music ala Vince DiCola, infact id call myself a fan of 80s synth like Jan Hammer and DiCola....but this is completely different

It's funny, back in my younger days when MTV was in its infancy I'd see vids by pop bands like ABC, Flock of Seagulls, Haircut 100, etc, and think "What the f**k is this crap?" but compared to the pop music of today, I'll take "I Ran" or "Love Plus One" any day of the week. I didn't know how good I had it :rofl2:

a. your niece is only 6

Thanks for the warning. :yikes: I will inform my niece that from here on, no further volumes of this series are allowed in my home. She'll probably cry, of course, and 20 years from now she'll be telling her therapist all about how mean Unca Keef was to her when she was little and that'll make it awkward at family gatherings, but I can live with that. :lol:

i can deal with synthesised music ala Vince DiCola, infact id call myself a fan of 80s synth like Jan Hammer and DiCola....but this is completely different

It's funny, back in my younger days when MTV was in its infancy I'd see vids by pop bands like ABC, Flock of Seagulls, Haircut 100, etc, and think "What the f**k is this crap?" but compared to the pop music of today, I'll take "I Ran" or "Love Plus One" any day of the week. I didn't know how good I had it :rofl2:

heh heh, same here....ill take I Ran over Black Eyed Peas ANY day!!

and we have 71 volumes here :(

Frightening thought of the day: there are probably people walking around out there whose entire "CD Collection" consists of nothing but a complete set of those compilations (all 71 in your case, all 31 in my case)... and I dearly hope those people never breed. :lol:

Yep, I have to agree. Back when I was a kid I thought pop music was awful and still believe it is, but compared to the shit out there at the moment - no contest.

Death to all but metal.

Frightening thought of the day: there are probably people walking around out there whose entire "CD Collection" consists of nothing but a complete set of those compilations (all 71 in your case, all 31 in my case)... and I dearly hope those people never breed. :lol:

there are actually people who collect them, and so chances are there are people out there that have BOTH UK and US catalogues :yikes:

102 Quality Quanity Silver Pressed NOW CDs!

There is NOTHING "Quality" about the "NOW" series.

There is NOTHING "Quality" about the "NOW" series.

So it's safe to assume that you would rather listen to Kiss' "Unmasked" or "Crazy Nights" than the "NOW" series? :lol:

Pop music is dead. The music industry suffers an all time low in ratings. Charting means nothing these days. Let's say when actual decent music charted back in the day it sold $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ copies to secure that #1 spot where today's crap sells $$$$ to achieve the same. It doesn't make impression and will be forgotten in a month time. It's the quality that survives.

• 2023 Gold Donors
now_31.jpg

My six year old niece is visiting with us today and she brought her brand spankin' new copy of the latest "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC" compilation CD with her. When the kids sat down to eat lunch she handed me the CD and said "Unca Keef, can we jam?" ... so I threw it in the CD player, albeit reluctantly...

...the CD just ended and Ho-lee CRAP, that was awful. Throughout the playing time I kept having to resist the urge to imitate Butt-head and ask "What the HELL is this crap?" At the risk of sounding like someone's Mom, is this what passes for pop music nowadays? I am unfamiliar with a good three quarters of the lineup contained herein, but to me it sounds like just about anyone with a drum machine and a Casio keyboard can be a star nowadays... Geez. Just look at this track listing of terror:

So, this collection of future(?) classics has been :baneed: from any attempt at further airtime in Mr. & Mrs. Keef's Kastle? ;)

Here's a thought! It coulda been worse, Keef! They coulda been doin' cover versions of Man Of War tunes, or, perish this thought......covers of some of yer fave bands/songs! :yikes: I don't want to give 'em any more ideas, so hopefully the peeps producin' this rubbish, er series won't find/read this post. Btw, a pretty crappy job of the design of the booklet cover, as well, imo! :tsk:

So it's safe to assume that you would rather listen to Kiss' "Unmasked" or "Crazy Nights" than the "NOW" series? :lol:

UNMASKED, yes... (I actually own that one)... CRAZY NIGHTS....ehhhh.... that's a tough one.

Wot no SLIPKNOT? :P

Wot no Poison. :yikes:

'Unskinny Bop' was penciled in for Vol. 6 , but was deemed to shite for even that :D

both Slipknot and Poison are awesome bands :(

Sez you. Neither one has ever been on a NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC compilation which as we all know, is the arbiter of who and what is truly awesome nowadays.

• 5 weeks later...

Actually, Poison has appeared on the UK version.

Vol.14 Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

The early UK volumes used to feature quite a few "rock/metal" songs.

Hell, even Iron Maiden has appeared with Can I Play With Madness on Vol.12.

Of course back then, the charts were a lot better, with even the pop music being of better quality.

now_31.jpg

Dude! bite your tounge! these are talented musicians, come on, Nickelback's on the list! how could you taketh thou name in insult??? And the RIAA wonders why it's going bankrupt! it aint file sharing, that's all I can say.