Queen pondering "Idol's" Lambert as frontman

T-BONE

Who didn't see this coming...

Queen pondering "Idol's" Lambert as frontman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "American Idol" runner-up Adam Lambert's performance with rock band Queen on the finale of the TV singing contest this week has the British band thinking about a new front man.

"Amongst all that furor, there wasn't really a quiet moment to talk," Queen guitarist Brian May told Rolling Stone in an interview released on Friday.

"But and I are definitely hoping to have a meaningful conversation with at some point. It's not like we, as Queen, would rush into coalescing with another singer just like that. It isn't that easy. But I'd certainly like to work with Adam. That is one amazing instrument he has there," May told the magazine in an e-mail exchange.

Queen, one of the biggest rock bands of the 1970s and '80s, has not had a permanent frontman since the death of Freddie Mercury in 1991.

The English band recently ended a four-year partnership with Paul Rodgers, the former lead singer in the bands Free and Bad Company.

Lambert, 27, dubbed "Glambert" by fans, lost out in the "American Idol" final to Kris Allen. But his vocal skills and flair for the dramatic made him a good fit for performances with both Queen and glam rockers KISS in the show's finale on Wednesday.

May seemed comfortable about the role of "American Idol" as a launch pad for a career in the rock world.

"If you have enough talent and enough will to succeed, you will get there by whatever route presents itself," he wrote Rolling Stone. "Once you have scaled the castle walls, with the sword in your hand, it matters little how you got there. I've not always been positive about shows like this but there is no doubt that it offers a door to some real genuine talent along the way."

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant, editing by Dan Whitcomb and Bill Trott)

Lambert sure has a good set of pipes and would suit Queen's style,i guess we just have to wait and see.I don't know how this guy did not win Idol he has so much more vocal talent and stage presence than the other guy.I guess alot of people in the States prefer the soft and safe option.

I totally called this as soon as I saw Queen show up during the "Idol" finale. I immediately thought "bet they're there to scope out Lambert now that Paul Rodgers is out."

Somebody pay me!

I totally called this as soon as I saw Queen show up during the "Idol" finale. I immediately thought "bet they're there to scope out Lambert now that Paul Rodgers is out."

Somebody pay me!

Yeh but any good?

The last thing they need to do now is release another weak album... and then fart around for a year... then break up again.

Is it just me? or doesn't anybody else believe Adam(Mozart/The Flys) is the closest and most authentic vocalist Queen could hope to fine, I've got a copy of him doing Another One Bites The Dust, and people, I'm telling you he does Freddie, and does his own style!

Does anyone have any of the songs that Queen+John Farnham did a few years back?

They rleased the songs? I've never even fuckin heard them, what were they released on?

Does anyone have any of the songs that Queen+John Farnham did a few years back?

They rleased the songs? I've never even fuckin heard them, what were they released on?

I know they at least did a remake of We Will rock you...and ive seen promo cds go for heaps on ebay... but dont think anything was ever officially released

Is it just me? or doesn't anybody else believe Adam(Mozart/The Flys) is the closest and most authentic vocalist Queen could hope to fine, I've got a copy of him doing Another One Bites The Dust, and people, I'm telling you he does Freddie, and does his own style!

I still think George Michael's performance on the Freddie Mercury DVD tribute was fantastic... He would be the perfect fit

I still think George Michael's performance on the Freddie Mercury DVD tribute was fantastic... He would be the perfect fit

Hey I think Michael is a phenomenal vocalist, whoever he likes pleasuring at rest stops is his own business, outside of Wham! I dig a lot of his work, but I guess I'd have to hear what your talking about, I guess I think of Adam because they did everything but actually bring Queen in and remake their songs on those Mozart cd's for gods sake, wasn't their producer one of queens producers?

Backed 100%. Old Georgie boy was excellent and whatever you think of his music, he has a great strong, soulful voice which I reckon could rock a bit if he tried (not that he ever has so far)

Hopefully Paul Rodgers can now stop fannying around get back to releasing quality albums (unlike the last Queen album which was very average at best) on his own or with Bad Company.

I think a phenomenal pick for Queen to go with is? nobody, can't they just let one of the most influential acts in history, stay the way we remember it! they got their on the voice of Freddie! unlike almost any other instrument, vocalist is the most personal, I don't want to hear anybody but Freddy sing Freddys songs, that can never happen again, aside from on my cd's, Fuck any new variation of Queen they try to stick down our throats,all they will do is diminish what they worked so hard so many years to establish! and yes it can be done!

I always thought Dennis DeYoung would have been a good replacement for Freddie Mercury. He's got the vocal capabilities and his age suits the band.

I'm glad Rodgers is out - this band need to get someone relevant to sing so they can pick up a new audience. Lambert would be exatly the right pick IMO. Over here we get American Idol later than you guys but I can't believe you picked that dull Kris Allen guy to win (his performance singing "No Boundaries" was painful - much too high a key for him) when the 2nd and 3rd contestants were so awesome. Lambert has an incredible range IMO, he embarrased KISS (who were terrible) and showed awesome stage presence with Brian May and would fit QUEEN perfectly.

Still think they guy who came 3rd (performed with Lionel Ritchie) should've won...

Sorry but imo Lambert would be much better for Queen than JSS. I love JSS but Lambert has one of the best singing voices and range that I have ever heard. Bar none. The guy is phenomenon.

However, that said I hope he doesnt join Queen - that would be a true waste of talent as they are over...finished. They should have left it be after Mercury died.

What I want is for Lambert to record a rock record of original material. That would be awesome.

I'd buy it for sure....

I'm glad Rodgers is out - this band need to get someone relevant to sing so they can pick up a new audience. Lambert would be exatly the right pick IMO. Over here we get American Idol later than you guys but I can't believe you picked that dull Kris Allen guy to win (his performance singing "No Boundaries" was painful - much too high a key for him) when the 2nd and 3rd contestants were so awesome. Lambert has an incredible range IMO, he embarrased KISS (who were terrible) and showed awesome stage presence with Brian May and would fit QUEEN perfectly.

Still think they guy who came 3rd (performed with Lionel Ritchie) should've won...

Don't you live in England? how the hell do all you guys in different countrys get to see American tv? we can't watch british and aussie tv over hear, that I know of, what gives?

If Adam DID join Queen?? He'd do an Awesome job!!! His whole act and attitude would fit in perfectly!! And yes seeing Adam singing with Queen and Kiss was fucking Excellent!!!!! :headbanger:

America got it wrong, Adam should have won, but maybe it's better that He didn't win?? Look at Clay, Chris Daughtrey and Bo Bice?? all three did not win Idol, but are doing just fine now......

Don't you live in England? how the hell do all you guys in different countrys get to see American tv? we can't watch british and aussie tv over hear, that I know of, what gives?

We get some of your primetime stuff. I wouldn't complain that you don't get to see any of our shows - or stuff from Oz - most of it is terrible. I think we get American Idol a couple of days after you see it, as I read who had won in the newspaper the day before I watched the show!

Cause basically the American tv execs dont think the American public will understand British tv shows, which is why they insist on remaking them (Life on Mars, The Office etc).

You do actually have access to a lot of Brit shows anyway.

I know Doctor Who is shown on sci-fi and that you have a channel called BBC America.

If Adam DID join Queen?? He'd do an Awesome job!!! His whole act and attitude would fit in perfectly!! And yes seeing Adam singing with Queen and Kiss was fucking Excellent!!!!! :headbanger:

America got it wrong, Adam should have won, but maybe it's better that He didn't win?? Look at Clay, Chris Daughtrey and Bo Bice?? all three did not win Idol, but are doing just fine now......

While I agree that Daughtry is doing just fine, Clay on the other hand while selling some records has recently been dropped by his label(at least that's what I read somewhere) and Bo Bice who's last album should of been huge in both the Rock and Country world didn't sell very well at all. At least he got to make the record he wanted to make and it was on his label so maybe he made for $ off that one than he didn't on the AI produced debut that didn't represent what he was about at all.