Bruce Springsteen

66 mustang

ive only heard the title track, but i really liked it!

i havent heard much Springsteen, what i have heard i like so i should check more out....it makes sense that id like atleast some of his music, considering hes JBJs biggest influence..

i got into The Beatles after reading that they were one of Samboras biggest influences and now i love the band!

One of the first 3 cassettes I purchased (the others were Tears For Fears "Songs From The Big Chair" and Juice Newton "Juice", if anyone was curious) and I LOVED it!

Played the heck out of it all the time. I never picked it up in the conversion to CDs, but have other Springsteen. If I ever saw it cheap somewhere, I might pick it up for nostalgic purposes.

One of the first 3 cassettes I purchased (the others were Tears For Fears "Songs From The Big Chair" and Juice Newton "Juice", if anyone was curious) and I LOVED it!

Played the heck out of it all the time. I never picked it up in the conversion to CDs, but have other Springsteen. If I ever saw it cheap somewhere, I might pick it up for nostalgic purposes.

This album was so huge when it came out.

"Songs from the Big Chair" was the first cassette I ever bought. :tumbsup:

"Songs from the Big Chair" was the first cassette I ever bought. :tumbsup:

"You've come a long way baby."

(As have I.)

(That was a tagline on a cigarette commercial, right? Anyone remember which one?)

Awesome album, 'nuff said !!

Anyone remember "Darkness on the Edge of Town" ? ... great, as well !

That and a few others of Springsteen I do like. Not many better song writers than Springsteen and the majority of his songs really do tell a story.

Love alot of Springsteens stuff and 'Born In The USA' is no exception. His more recent stuff like 'The Rising' and his latest 'Magic' have been a real return to form after a bit of a blip.

"You've come a long way baby."

(As have I.)

(That was a tagline on a cigarette commercial, right? Anyone remember which one?)

Virginia Slims, I believe?

As for Bruce... living in Jersey, Bruce is one of our favorite native sons (you all know who the other one is, I'm sure). I'm not a huge fan but he seems like a cool guy and has written some good stuff. However, BORN IN THE U.S.A. was so huge in its time, (nearly every song off that record was released as a single over a period of about two years!!) it has now become so frickin overplayed over the past twenty-something years that I really never need to hear it ever again as long as I live.

Gimme BORN TO RUN or GREETINGS FROM ASBURY PARK any day.

Yes, I've never been a Springsteen fan it sounds like he's trying to take a shit

Especially during his part of "We Are The World" -- he sounds like he's having a rough time on the can during that bit

"WWWEEEEE AAAAAAAH DUH WUUUUUURLD (urgh, plop, splash) WEEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAH DUH CHILLLLLDREEEEEENNNNN.... (courtesy flush)"

Springsteen is one of the best songwriters of his generation. I love "Born To Run" and "Born In The USA" albums best. There are literally a TON of great stuff from him. "Hungry Heart", "The River", "Born To Run", "Dancing In The Dark" (with one Courtney Cox-Arquette in the video) but above and beyond all those my favorite Springsteen song of all time is "Jungleland". Any else like this one?

• 1 month later...
Springsteen is one of the best songwriters of his generation. I love "Born To Run" and "Born In The USA" albums best. There are literally a TON of great stuff from him. "Hungry Heart", "The River", "Born To Run", "Dancing In The Dark" (with one Courtney Cox-Arquette in the video) but above and beyond all those my favorite Springsteen song of all time is "Jungleland". Any else like this one?

Yeah Jungleland is killer. I saw him play it at Giants Stadium over the summer and it just killed, hearing that sax solo and the piano chords in the open air in front of 60,000 people... amazing.

Unsung Springsteen song: Seaside Bar Song. Anyone? Anyone?

Just recently I've been listening to 4th of july (Sandy). I've been really hooked on them lyrics. It's about the JERSEY shore.

If your going to listen to the man, then listen to his earlier stuff (Before THE RIVER).

WARNING!

Listening to too much SPRINSTEEN can cause you stick a fork in you ear. :whistle:

Yes, I've never been a Springsteen fan it sounds like he's trying to take a shit

Especially during his part of "We Are The World" -- he sounds like he's having a rough time on the can during that bit

"WWWEEEEE AAAAAAAH DUH WUUUUUURLD (urgh, plop, splash) WEEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAH DUH CHILLLLLDREEEEEENNNNN.... (courtesy flush)"

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Sony have just released a Springsteen box set containing his first 7 albums. It comes in a really sturdy red box. It contins just one booklet for the whole box which doesn't really have anything new in the way of photos/bio etc - just copies of the original album notes. Still a pretty cool pick up for $40-50.

Love Bruce, and this is an excellently priced box if you are a bit of a newbie to his stuff.

Have you seen 'The Promise: The Darkness On The Edge Of Town Story (3Cd+3Dvd) [CD+DVD, Box set]' that is coming out December - very interested in this, although it is pricey - maybe one for the Christmas list or wait until the price comes down a little.

• 6 years later...

It's winter so I've started listening to his album ''The Promise'' again, Over the past 5 years or so I've always felt the need to listen to that album as soon it starts getting cold, it's dark on my way to work in the morning, or snowing. It's a double album (21 tracks) so I don't like all the songs which is why I made a CD consisting only of 11 songs so there's no skipping. Some of the highlights and overall vibe of songs I like are:

Racing In The Street (78)

One Way Street

Candy's Boy

Spanish Eyes

The Promise

City Of Night

I like the kind of monotonous quality these songs have, very even and calm, almost sedative. Not a fan of songs like ''Outside Looking In'' or ''Ain't Good Enough For You'' though