TV Crime Drama Observation

Leykis101

I sit here tonight watching C.S.I. Miami, I figured it,s the #1 show in America, what the fuck! i'll try it out, its pretty good, I have to say Jerry Bruckheimer does some pretty decent tv, Without A Trace is better then the CSI camps, but on any crime drama on all the major networks, I just detect a level of cheese, I can't quit put my finger on it, it gets really bad in the Law & Order series, the new show on A&E with Ben Bratt, The Cleaner, has really started out good, but I am very doubtful anybody will ever out do The Wire, and the king of them all The Shield! do you get into crime dramas? if so what's your fav? and are their any good ones in other countries? I mean real gritty real life totally unpredictable jaw droppers, like The Shield?

I love crime drama. My favorite being the original CSI. I also like Criminal Minds, NCIS, and Without A Trace. The next level down would be shows like CSI Miami and Numbers. The bottom of the barrel would be shows like Bones, Cold Case, Women's Murder Club (which got cancelled :)), and CSI New York. I could never get NBC with a decent reception until just recently. Since we now have a HDTV and because of the writers strike we started watching NBC more. I also started watching the reruns of Criminal Intent on ABC. I haven't put much time into the Law & Order franchise. After watching Criminal Intent for a while I soon came to the conclusion that it's bottom of the barrel. I've only watched the original Law & Order and SVU a few times, but I can tell they're much better shows.

I'm also a huge fan of DaVinci's Inquest. I didn't even know about it until the past year. I'm not sure what you would call The Dead Zone, but I've been watching it quite a bit recently. I even watch the quirky Pushing Daisies show. I also watch older shows. Kojak is awesome. I watch a lot of detective shows too. I'm not 100% sure where they fit into the picture. Columbo, Psych, Monk, and Simon & Simon.

John Doe was a hybrid type of show. It had Sci-Fi elements, but at heart it was a detective show. I watched Killer Instinct when it was on. I even remember watching a somewhat cheesy show called The Evidence.

On many of these shows I do notice a cheese factor. It's especially prevalent on CSI Miami and New York. Right after the crime is discovered one of the CSI's (usually Horatio on Miami) makes a cheesy comment and then it goes into the intro. I remember one especially cheesy episode of New York where they found a body smashed between two crate type containers. One of the guys said they needed a spatula. That was beyond cheesy.

Have u watched the shield or the wire, those are the top of the line, absolutely no cheese at all, and Law and Order is the worst at cheesy one liners, Criminal Intent was the coolest one till D'onofrio pussed out!

I don't have cable so I haven't been able to watch The Shield or The Wire. They have reruns of The Shield on regular tv, but I haven't even gave it a thought because there's no way I would be be able to understand what's going on.

If you want a more realistic take on crime you might want to look at DaVinci's Inquest. It's a top notch Canadian show.

I don't have cable so I haven't been able to watch The Shield or The Wire. They have reruns of The Shield on regular tv, but I haven't even gave it a thought because there's no way I would be be able to understand what's going on.

If you want a more realistic take on crime you might want to look at DaVinci's Inquest. It's a top notch Canadian show.

I'm not sure, but on saturday nights after the news, our local Cbs affiliate runs Csi-Miami, then either Cold Case, or Without A Trace, then they run a Canadian show, that appears to be the Csi series in Canada, I think its the one you said! the star is an ugly dude lookin chick!

Oh Yeah! I got one that smothers all of them in cheese!

Crossing Jordan!!! Barf!!!!

I got burned out on CSI: Las Vegas. Not sure why, because I used to really enjoy it.

I enjoy the campiness of CSI: Miami, and seriously enjoy CSI:NY (the ensemble is really good in that one).

The original L&O has just gotten old, and while I really like Richard Belzer in SVU, I can't stand the lead duo or the DA in that series.

NUMB3RS is good, but it's a little too predictable and light and fluffy.

The two shows that are "appointment TV" for me are Criminal Minds and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. The ensemble in L&O: CI is better than the other two, IMO. I really like Vincent D'nofrio (sp?) and his insights/quirkiness, and what longtime L&O fan doesn't like Chris Noth? I was sorry to see Jamey Sheridan leave the cast though.

While not a drama and more documentary, I find myself watching "The First 48" on A&E a lot.

-Dan

Dude The First 48 is fucking nuts, I just wish they would get out of Miami, I tjink its more interesting when they do murders like that one last week, when that dude killed his cousin and her husband and stuffed them in the sheetrock, I just lose interest with the gang killing shit,I like the show that comes on really late on MSNBC called Captured, ever seen that one? I also like HBO'S Autopsy w/Dr. Michael Badden, that's one of the most interesting shows I've ever seen.

Man, I'm like the complete opposite of Dan.

I forgot to mention Dexter. I watched that show when they aired the edited version on CBS. I must say that it was quite excellent. I also seem to watch quite a bit of those crime programs. I'm always interested in the stories they tell on shows like 48 Hours. I realize that those programs are basically filler on the schedule, but honestly they're better than most of the crap on tv today.

Here's ya a pic of Da Vinci's Inquest.

posterlarge.jpg

I was hoping the observation would be that they're all identical, bland and the most annoying crap on TV so that I could chime in with my agreeance, but instead I'll keep quiet. But just quietly, these, hospital and lawyer shows are, imo, the most over-saturated unwatchable stuff on TV... imo. :)

I was hoping the observation would be that they're all identical, bland and the most annoying crap on TV so that I could chime in with my agreeance, but instead I'll keep quiet. But just quietly, these, hospital and lawyer shows are, imo, the most over-saturated unwatchable stuff on TV... imo. :)

Obviously Geoffs never seen The Shield, and its so obvious that Geoff really better go rent it before he makes a broad sweeping generalization, because you would never say that about The Shield!

watched the first episode of The Wire, but i found it realllllly boring

my rents watch The Closer, which ive seen a couple of episodes of.....but Kyra Sedgwicks character annoys the hell outta me..

i think Dexter is the only crime drama i watch...

The Wire is without a doubt more drama then crime, but if you watch it you'll find it's really far & beyond anything else on tv, really well written, and not a drop of cheese, and never a predictable scenario, that's how The Shield is, only with a lot more crime then drama!

watched the first episode of The Wire, but i found it realllllly boring

my rents watch The Closer, which ive seen a couple of episodes of.....but Kyra Sedgwicks character annoys the hell outta me..

i think Dexter is the only crime drama i watch...

I actually like the Closer and think her character is what makes the show.

Others I love:

The Shield

Criminal Minds

CSI

Life(if you haven't seen this show it's awesome IMO and will be back in August)

Dexter

I used be a Law and Order fanatic but find myself watching reruns and occasionally a new Episode of SVU which I find to be pretty damn good I also really like Criminal Intent but only see the reruns mostly.

I also really liked that show K-Ville on Fox with Anthony Anderson and Cole Hauser but it was canceled alreay. It was a solid cop show IMO.

Obviously Geoffs never seen The Shield, and its so obvious that Geoff really better go rent it before he makes a broad sweeping generalization, because you would never say that about The Shield!

I think I did see it via my wife at least a few times. I find all these shows horrid without exception. Just like with dance music, there is no variation on what is a horrible concept, imo.

I think I did see it via my wife at least a few times. I find all these shows horrid without exception. Just like with dance music, there is no variation on what is a horrible concept, imo.

The Shield horrible?

Is this some alternate universe or some other Shield with Australian actors?

The Shield horrible?

Yes, there are probably a dozen versions of 'The Shield' in Australia.

The problem with any genre of tv is that it will always be ran into the ground. If a new take can be presented on the genre (such as what CSI did in 2000) and it becomes successful then copycats come from everywhere. At this point in time I think the genre is completely oversaturated. Shows like Bones, Cold Case, and Women's Murder Club should have never made it to air. They are just horribly written "me too" shows. I guess the problem is that with anything else in life there will always be those who watch something no matter how bad it is. Even if all the crime shows were at the point where they are like the shows mentioned above, which they are not, they would continue to be made and watched because there's nothing to replace them. Just like the no longer funny sitcom that just won't die, the cop genre won't ever go away either.

The problem with any genre of tv is that it will always be ran into the ground. If a new take can be presented on the genre (such as what CSI did in 2000) and it becomes successful then copycats come from everywhere. At this point in time I think the genre is completely oversaturated. Shows like Bones, Cold Case, and Women's Murder Club should have never made it to air. They are just horribly written "me too" shows. I guess the problem is that with anything else in life there will always be those who watch something no matter how bad it is. Even if all the crime shows were at the point where they are like the shows mentioned above, which they are not, they would continue to be made and watched because there's nothing to replace them. Just like the no longer funny sitcom that just won't die, the cop genre won't ever go away either.

This is the truth. The fact is, if there was one crime show and that was it I'd probably not despise it. The fact that there are 14,000 and all are identical is what makes my fist want to cause death.

The Shield horrible?

I'll bet you Geoff, the shield isThe Only!!! show of its kind anywhere in the world! much like Cauterize is the only band like its kind in a shitpool of its genre, I hate that genre, but Cauterize came out and was the lone exception, make any dollars? make any cents?

The Shield horrible?

I'll bet you Geoff, the shield isThe Only!!! show of its kind anywhere in the world! much like Cauterize is the only band like its kind in a shitpool of its genre, I hate that genre, but Cauterize came out and was the lone exception, make any dollars? make any cents?

Maybe, mate. If it was on free to air TV I'd check it out, just for you guys. But it's not. :(... but haha.

Saved. ;)

What a sunday night! Your Davinci show was on, at the same time Without A Trace,and at the same time, The Shield! can you guess which one I watched?

I watched a little bit of Davinci's Hardon or whatever its called, it seemed a lot like a canadian Hunter! or McGrudder & Loud, it didn't seem like anything groundbreaking!

Come on dude. You have to give DaVinci more than 5 minutes of your time. It's a bad ass show. Davinci's Inquest is a more realistic take on the crime genre. The show portrays a gritty crime riddled city and the people that do their best to keep it in check. DaVinci is a very flawed man. He's an alcoholic and he has many struggles in life. Even so he does every thing in his power to ensure justice no matter how politically incorrect it may be. The story is very well written. It's not the type show that is always solved at the end of each episode. Some stories take more than one episode. Many stories will even pick up again several episodes later as other stories unfold.

I may not have given much look at The Shield yet, but when I do will give it more than 5 minutes. I have seen at least one episode. I had no idea what was going on. The Commish was sneaking around with his buddies talking about some crime they did and they were all worried about being found out. I thought it was a bit strange that the cops were bad guys too. Since I had no idea what was going on I haven't passed judgement on the series yet.

Btw, anyone seen the previews for The Mentalist? It looks like Psych, but more serious. Looks like they're going back to the well that Columbo, Monk, and countless others have successfully drawn from.

Yeah! I didn't say it was bad,I caught it when it was half way over, you'd have to watch a lot of episodes to pick up on the back story like that, and I'm not totally sure it comes on evey Sunday! this is the first time I've seen it,

The Shield is also impossible to pick upon, and reruns are never shown in order, you'd almost have to start by renting season 1, or I found seasons 1 and 2 at Walmart for $20 each, and get caught up, because the 7th and final season of The Shield starts Sept 2nd on FX and I guaruntee theirs never been anything like it on tv ever.