Finding out unknown bands in a time long gone......

Faron

Before music forums came along, how did you get into certain bands that are / were unknown to the masses?

I remember a rock magazine in the 80`s, I think? that was called Boulevard, also Kerrang etc!

Used to pick up reviews and recommendations from that.

Examples of Bands for me .....

Wrabit

Reckless

Little River Band

Le Roux

Toronto

and countless others.

Obviously with more well known bands, there came airplay or they were readily available in record stores.

Just wondered how the unknown bands got to be heard? :beerbang:

There was a radio station here in Slc called Kber 101, (its still here) but back before it went corporate (94), they played so much shit you would probably shit! Z-Rock had nothing on these guys, Here's a few of the bands I heard from there, Chroming Rose Sic Vikki Collision Cry Wolf Mozart Singsing Motherlode Eyes Blue Tears Hitman

Syre

American Angel

Triangle

Melidian

Just to name a few! They played just about everything!

I used to read Sounds ... Geoff Barton and Paul Suter amongst others used to write for it. Pretty much what they recommended I tried to listen to. Every so often they would have a big feature highlighting something like the NWOBHM or the latest U.S. hard rock bands. Because of their reviews I got into the likes of Storm, 1994, Zon, The Godz and Face Dancer.

Kerrang came as an offshoot of Sounds and developed in it's own right and most of the old Sounds writers jumped ship to join it....so Kerrang then took over for me where Sounds left off.

Also a lot of the time I would trawl the record stores and if I liked the album cover and the band had long hair I bought it.

There were a few places I heard about the not so popular bands. One was an indie music store called Ernie November. Every time I would go in there they would have some new music playing from bands like Eyes, Legs Diamond, and Dirty Looks. Another good source was a syndicated radio program called Metal Shop that they had on in the late 80's/early 90's I believe. That's how I found out about Steeler (Germany). But it was mostly Headbangers Ball. Living in a farming community I really wasn't going to get a lot of exposure to good music. A buddy of mine used to tape Headbangers Ball and give me a copy on Mondays at school. I would keep a list of bands I wanted to track down from those shows.

There were a few places I heard about the not so popular bands. One was an indie music store called Ernie November. Every time I would go in there they would have some new music playing from bands like Eyes, Legs Diamond, and Dirty Looks. Another good source was a syndicated radio program called Metal Shop that they had on in the late 80's/early 90's I believe. That's how I found out about Steeler (Germany). But it was mostly Headbangers Ball. Living in a farming community I really wasn't going to get a lot of exposure to good music. A buddy of mine used to tape Headbangers Ball and give me a copy on Mondays at school. I would keep a list of bands I wanted to track down from those shows.

Isn't Ernie Novembers in Sioux Falls still open.... selling used CDs...? The last time or two I was out that way I picked up a few used CD out there.

"Metal Shop" was pretty good for finding bands that didn't get much air play. I believe this is where I first heard of bands like Antix and Shire.

Being lucky enough to live so close to Hammerjack's in Baltimore was also every helpful. This place booked many bands who would later become mainstream before they even had releases out... such as Britny Fox, Heaven's Edge, Trouble, Leatherwolf, and Warrant just to name a few. Of course they also booked bands that never did become a commercial success too... Bands like Whitefoxx, Barracuda, ZaZa, Metalwolf and Tuff Luck.

And working for a local rock/metal publication that covered both local and national bands didn't hurt at all... found out about tons of bands that way... Bands like D Generation, McQueen Street, and D'Molls.

We also had many cool local bands that I got a chance to see many times.... Such as KIX, Child's Play, The Ravyns, Hybrid Ice, Face Dancer, Bootcamp, Crack The Sky, and Dirty Looks just to name some of them.

I guess you could call me a sponge... I just soaked it up where ever I could get it. :guitbannana:

I used to read Sounds ... Geoff Barton and Paul Suter amongst others used to write for it. Pretty much what they recommended I tried to listen to. Every so often they would have a big feature highlighting something like the NWOBHM or the latest U.S. hard rock bands. Because of their reviews I got into the likes of Storm, 1994, Zon, The Godz and Face Dancer.

Kerrang came as an offshoot of Sounds and developed in it's own right and most of the old Sounds writers jumped ship to join it....so Kerrang then took over for me where Sounds left off.

Also a lot of the time I would trawl the record stores and if I liked the album cover and the band had long hair I bought it.

Very similar to Nick.....Kerrang! magazine, some indie fanzines and of course, buying based on record album cover and/or band photo. This was in the early Eighties.

Isn't Ernie Novembers in Sioux Falls still open.... selling used CDs...? The last time or two I was out that way I picked up a few used CD out there.

It sure is. I was just over there on Friday (where I picked up Lita Ford and Bad Company). They even still accept my Ernie November 10% discount card I bought back in 1990! The only problem is, finding good music in that place is a rarity nowadays.

It sure is. I was just over there on Friday (where I picked up Lita Ford and Bad Company). They even still accept my Ernie November 10% discount card I bought back in 1990! The only problem is, finding good music in that place is a rarity nowadays.

Isn't Ernie's somewhere now 40th? I seem to remember it being somewhat close to a little hamburger stand. Can't remember the name of that little place. I only remember that if you can eat the hamburger, fries and a large soda in like 2 minutes they will give it to you for free. If you eat it really fast.... you can get your name on the wall... :yikes:

Oh...and doesn't the burger weight like 3 pounds or something. I've never been so sick in my life... and I didn't even get a free meal. :whistle:

• 2023 Gold Donors

Going to shows,fanzines,flyers,word of mouth,rock/metal stations,Headbanger's Ball (the old one) used to be a good place to see a new band etc..

Dirty Rhythm

Metalwolf/Wolvz

Vyper

Marshall Law

Creed (the german metal band)

Damien

Ma Kelly

Shok Paris

etc etc....

Isn't Ernie's somewhere now 40th? I seem to remember it being somewhat close to a little hamburger stand. Can't remember the name of that little place. I only remember that if you can eat the hamburger, fries and a large soda in like 2 minutes they will give it to you for free. If you eat it really fast.... you can get your name on the wall... :yikes:

Oh...and doesn't the burger weight like 3 pounds or something. I've never been so sick in my life... and I didn't even get a free meal. :whistle:

As far as I know they still have two stores in Sioux Falls, one on 12th street (by Burger Time, if that's who you are thinking of) and that one sells only clothes and skateboard stuff and stoner supplies. The second is on 41st street and they have all of the music now. I haven't been to the one on 12th for years because of that.

• 2023 Gold Donors
There was a radio station here in Slc called Kber 101, (its still here) but back before it went corporate (94), they played so much shit you would probably shit!

Dude, KBER was awesome. I remember in '94 I was on leave from the military and went visit some friends in Utah. When I was scanning through the radio stations, I came across 101 and couldn't believe. All my years driving around the states, I think that was one of the best stations I ever came across. It sucked as I was leaving Utah and couldn't pick up the station any more.

there is still an Ernie November store in Rapid City :)

A big one for me was an early 80s radio show called "Metal Mania" which used to air on Saturday nights (from 10 PM to 1 AM if memory serves) on WDHA-FM out here in New Jersey. My brother and I were just starting to discover the big wonderful world-o-metal at that time and listening to that show turned us on to soooooo many freakin bands!! I heard Loudness, Armored Saint, Black N Blue, Savatage, and countless others for the first time on that show.

I know, I keep meaning to hit that store everytime I'm out there and never get a chance to. Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to pop in. I know the last time I was in there several years ago I walked out empty handed and very disappointed. Rapid and the surrounding area has always had an odd taste in music it seems.

There was a radio station here in Slc called Kber 101, (its still here) but back before it went corporate (94), they played so much shit you would probably shit!

Dude, KBER was awesome. I remember in '94 I was on leave from the military and went visit some friends in Utah. When I was scanning through the radio stations, I came across 101 and couldn't believe. All my years driving around the states, I think that was one of the best stations I ever came across. It sucked as I was leaving Utah and couldn't pick up the station any more.

Dude I was spoiled growing up with a station like Kber, I mean I'm still buying cds of bands I heard off that station, I mean they played very little mainstream generic stuff, they were playing Fresh Rock (a new album or band) every hour for almost 3 years, the output of unknown or obscure bands out of that station was just disgusting, it was heartbreaking when Citadel bought them out, the owners started up K-Rock in 96, and were back at it again, but it was gone by late 1997, but I got some good bands off that station also, here's a few of those,

Sundogs

Velocity

Drive

China White

Big Bad Wolf

the played Night Rangers Tell Me I'm Wrong off Mojo,

Deep Purples Ted The Mechanic off Perpindicular

they played

Britton

Harem Scarem

Wicked Maraya

RTZ

Charade

Jaded Heart

Von Groove

so they didn't do to bad in the almost 2 years they were around, but nothing compared to Kber!

I know, I keep meaning to hit that store everytime I'm out there and never get a chance to. Hopefully this summer I'll get a chance to pop in. I know the last time I was in there several years ago I walked out empty handed and very disappointed. Rapid and the surrounding area has always had an odd taste in music it seems.

they do have a wierd accectic vibe indeed. there is a used music and book store downtown, but for the life of me, i cant friggin remember the name :(

• 11 months later...

they do have a wierd accectic vibe indeed. there is a used music and book store downtown, but for the life of me, i cant friggin remember the name :(

I did stop in the the Ernie November last July when I was in Rapid...bought one cd...and it was a country one! Not even worth my time. :(

there was, i dont think it is there anymore....an Ernie November in rapid city.

Before the internet, Before W.S.O.U., Before VINTAGE VINYL, Before BRAVE WORDS & BLOODY KNUCKLES, Before MARTIN POPOFF.

I would go to a local record store called NOW & THEN RECORDS. Tom would have the latest N.W.O.B.H.M. releases. Just above his store was a local radio station called W.V.R.M. They used to have a show on saturdays called MIKE & DEBBIE ROCK SHOW (Brother & Sister). I would call up every saturday and request TYGERS OF PAN TANG, DEMON, IRON MAIDEN and local faves MAJESTY.

They were basically the first to have an all out METAL show in the whole area.

Back then I used to pick up anything and everything considered METAL or HARD ROCK.

I wish I could go back in time. :beerbang:

A big one for me was an early 80s radio show called "Metal Mania" which used to air on Saturday nights (from 10 PM to 1 AM if memory serves) on WDHA-FM out here in New Jersey. My brother and I were just starting to discover the big wonderful world-o-metal at that time and listening to that show turned us on to soooooo many freakin bands!! I heard Loudness, Armored Saint, Black N Blue, Savatage, and countless others for the first time on that show.

I used to listen to that one when I lived up north. There was also WPST out of Philly that I used to be able to tune in the winter that had an old metal show. And "Metal Shop" on WNEW-NY when they played rock!! WSOU-Seton Hall used to play White Lion, American Angel, Winger (before they were popular) and countless others. Ahhhh the glory days!!

Taking weekly trips to the orginal Rock & Roll Heaven booth on Rt 18, back in 81/82, every week they had new imports or demos from then unknown bands, and fanzines like KickAss Monthy and a few others I can't remember, and started going to shows they promoted, I remember Anvil even played at the flea market one week. Virgin Steel/ ManoWar....Venom with Metallica openning at the Paramont in Staten Island, Raven, Overkill, .....then living in the South Jersey/ Philly area you had a whole different scene with group like the Dead End Kids, Cinderilla, Krank, Tangier, Metalwolf, Pierce,Funhouse, Ivory Tower, LeCompt.....I could travel 45 minutes from my house either north or south and see a different band just about any night of the week....I hate to say it, but, those were the days...