Bon Jovi - Lost Highway

Mullethead

After listening to this for a few days I think it will surprise a lot of people. Much, much better than their last cd which I thought was their worst of all time.

JL

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with Jarred. I do think it will pleasantly surprise anyone who's convinced it'll be some country rubbish - it's very much in the style of recent albums and as "rock" as recent Bon Jovi.

I must say, though, that I like 'Have a nice day' and IMO it was by a full 100% their best album since 'These days', and still is. But only the Jap version with 'Complicated', 'Dirty little secret' etc. on it.

Anyway, the new one, imo, does actually suck, but there are about 4 or 5 good songs on it. Better than I expected. :)

After listening to this for a few days I think it will surprise a lot of people. Much, much better than their last cd which I thought was their worst of all time.

JL

No way on Earth was Have a nice day worse than This left feels right!

JL

No way on Earth was Have a nice day worse than This left feels right!

This Left Feels Right was one of the worst albums ever released by ANYBODY........period :lame:

I'm defo gonna get this straight away as I do like all their CDs except the one I already mentioned!

I wouldnt say they have "lost it", they have just adapted with time and still continue to have massive selling albums.

Doesnt sound like a band that have "lost it".

If they had continued to release Slippery when wet and New Jersey style albums, they wouldnt have a career like they have now, so who are we to judge?

I'm defo gonna get this straight away as I do like all their CDs except the one I already mentioned!

I wouldnt say they have "lost it", they have just adapted with time and still continue to have massive selling albums.

Doesnt sound like a band that have "lost it".

If they had continued to release Slippery when wet and New Jersey style albums, they wouldnt have a career like they have now, so who are we to judge?

I agree Captain but we are the minority on here...

I agree, but it's obvious they're thrown out a big F**K YOU to all of their 1986 fans in favor of the new-breeders. I hope for Jon's sake these new fans are buying their 30th. copy of Lost Highway in 20 years like I've done with Slippery. Thanks for the middle finger, Jon, I appreciate it. :)

I agree, but it's obvious they're thrown out a big F**K YOU to all of their 1986 fans in favor of the new-breeders. I hope for Jon's sake these new fans are buying their 30th. copy of Lost Highway in 20 years like I've done with Slippery. Thanks for the middle finger, Jon, I appreciate it. :)

I disagree. In order to last as long as they have, you have to change with the times. Otherwise, you lose most of your fans...

well, if bands that are obscure change, then it is not so great, but, if bands we loved in the 80's change, then I think it is great, they have to go with the times, and as I see it, have to keep a few tunes in the old style and try a new style as well, that is how longevity works for most bands

In theory, I agree 100% with you guys, Jarred and Howdy... but in execution, I don't think Bon Jovi have changed in any remotely positive way. There are several hundred new "modern" bands out there who are as melodic as Bon Jovi were in their heyday, but still current. The difference between these bands and Bon Jovi is that they write great songs. I don't think Bon Jovi's problem is changing and becoming current... I just think they've lost the ability to consistently write great songs... in whatever style they choose. As I said, though, I did really like 'Have a nice day'. :)

And yet they still sell albums to both new fans and old fans alike.

Singles still hit the charts, and concerts still sell out in venues most bands couldnt even fill one corner of.

I think some people say they hate the band these days cause they think its frowned upon to admit you still like them, but still go out and buy the new albums on day of release and actually do enjoy them.

Fuck it, with the exception of This Left is Shite, like all their albums!

I'll fully admit the newer ones are weaker, but they are still better than a good proportion of albums put out by other bands!

Don't get me wrong, I still like Bon Jovi a lot and have never said I don't - they got me into hard rock. I have found something fantastic on every album except 'This left feels right'. I just think the majority of 'Crush' is pure shit and 'Bounce' really didn't "go the distance" even though that song did, and is one of my all-time fave tunes. I also love 'You had me at hello' and 'She's a mystery' off those two albums. There were moments, and as I said, 'Have a nice day' is a great album. But even though I do like some of what they do, I still think their general level of song writing has decreased by amazingly huge levels.

ok im gonna join the "i still like Bon Jovi" side.

"These days" is a top quality album. Some skippable songs but otherwise good rockin songs and some heartfelt songs with great lyrics.

"Crush" - i like the better moments on Crush alot, however there are some totally forgettable songs and some cheap songs.

"Bounce" - I love this album. Its modern, down tuned... o well i dont care i still like it. The thing i hate is all the weak ballads. One or two... ok.... but how many are there???? damn they weakened this album so much

"This left feels right" - ok this is just pure crap. dont own it. never will. i understand all criticism of this album.

The box set was also really cool. lots of good tunes. Theres tons of unreleased tracks! Not many other bands have released a back catalogue like this before. They throw one or two live tracks, or a weak new track on to yet another Greatest hits and say theyre giving the fans rare tracks. Bon Jovi did a good job with the box set.

"Have a nice day" - ok it was not a return to the glory days... but cmon this is pretty damn cool. Lots of good rocking songs. Ok there are some weak tracks, but if you get this with the bonus tracks it is a good album.

finally... the country album... i dont even know what it is called... i havnt listened to the samples, i dont really care about it. Ive only heard a bit of a song that was playing in "Roadhogs"... so if someone can tell me what that song was that would be good, but it sounded alright.

So country album: bad. Bon Jovi overall: still good.

Okay, here's a more detailed verdict on 'Lost Highway':

1. Lost Highway - I'm just not sure about this track. I do like it, but having only heard it about 6 or 7 times I'm already quite annoyed and sick of it. Odd one, but I don't think it's going to last much longer. That annoying riffs just does it to me.

2. Summertime - I actually really like this song. Good-time summer rock n'roll anthem. One of my faves. A nice surprise.

3. (You Want To) Make A Memory - I don't mind this one. Pretty decent ballad to be honest. I like it.

4. Whole Lot Of Leaving - Just f*cking terrible. A lot like the fillers on the last albums.

5. We Got It Going On - This is the shit that gives people the right to laugh and point at Bon Jovi. Right up there with 'Who says you can't go home' as a rival for the worst track Bon Jovi have ever recorded. Terrible. What's up with the half-assed 'Enter sandman' riff rip-off too?

6. Any Other Day - F*cking excellent. I simply love this track, one of my faves since their heyday.

7. Seat Next To You - average, bland balladry. Not a fave.

8. Everybody's Broken - I don't know about this one. It's not bad, but a tad ordinary. Still passable.

9. Stranger - (featuring LeAnn Rimes) - I actually quite like the sentiment here but am super disappointed it's a duet. I'd have really quite liked this song with only Jon on vocals. Not bad as it is... soppy though,

10. Last Night, The - Another one of my favourite tracks on the album and along with 'Any other day' this is one of the best BJ tracks since the good ol' days.

11. One Step Closer - Beautiful mid-tempo tune. Another big favourite of mine on the album. I like this one a lot.

12. I Love This Town - Useless filler, not required at all. Should have left it off.

So in summary, there are a few really good tracks here, and to be honest I already prefer it to 'Crush' and 'Bounce'. Since the excellent 'These Days', I'd rank the last 4 like this:

1. Have A Nice Day

2. Lost Highway

3. Bounce

4. Crush

Not too bad at all... I really like 4 songs on this one, right up there with my all-time fave Bon Jovi tracks.

I feel that every band has a right to grow and expand artistically and musically, but what Bon Jovi has done here with Lost Highway was nothing more than a bandwagon move!

I have been a long fan of theirs since 7800 F, but I do question their motives here. Sure HAND was a great album IMO, and sure they did strike a radio hit with "Who Says You Can't Go Home", which was a great crossover song. But, I think they are taking advantage of the fact that since country has moved into the realm of rock per se, which I call country/rock or rock/country....whatever, they think they can boost their popularity by going mainstream into the country realm....which in this case has pissed (just about) every BJ fan off.

Sure there are a couple of "decent" songs and the album is very radio friendly, and I am sure it will succeed on the billboard charts, country - maybe pop/rock.

I downloaded them album first to preview it and I am not happy with it - will I purchase it? NO - not right away... I will wait unitl it is like $3.99 on Ebay for a nice previously listened to copy or something.

The biggest challenge for BJ, is a the follow up album after this! I really sense another post-"These Days" scenario coming around........

When I first listened to the album I was literally sitting there listening for every bit of country influence to hop upon it, but that did me no favours. Since then, I've listened to it as purely a Bon Jovi rock album and it seriously ain't that bad. I am also very worried, though, about the next album, if there is to be one... and if they will follow this faint country road...

I am seriously trying to understand what all the fuss is about.

I was expecting something akin to Lonestar (which aint a big issue as I like Lonestar), and what I heard was a Bon Jovi album!

With the exception of the Rimes ballad (another singer I like anyway), I could barely hear any country influence on this one!

Too many people once again are bagging on something purely based on hearsay or are trying to ride the wave on Bon Jovi hatred cause they aint recorded Slippery 2, 3, 4 and 5!

Personally I dont think its as good as the last few albums (except THAT one), and to me it lacks that BIG single like Have a nice day, Everyday or Its my life, but overall its pretty typical of what you'd expect from them these days!

And just for the record, with regards to going country being a way of boosting their popularity.

That might work in America, but in the rest of the world, and especially Europe, country isnt particularily popular, so they would actually risk losing one of their biggest fan bases by going country!