10 first album issued on cd in the eighties?

delmfate

PLEASE REPLY NOW???

:tsk: Don't wake the demon :lol:

(PLEAS...REP... noooo)

I think I remember hearing somewhere that Madonna was pretty early on that list... not sure where. And I could be wrong about it also. :blink:

OOOPPPSSSS... but as far as rock/metal, I have no idea. Great question though... ANYBODY?

No clue....

From one of the online histories:

A complex invention doesn't usually appear out of thin air with no precedents, and the compact disc is no exception. As a medium for reproducing music, the CD is a merger and adaptation of many different technologies, including the laser (first demonstrated 1960), digital recording (first demonstrated 1967), optical disc technology (first commercially used in the 1970s for LaserVision movies), and of course the computer. The digital sampling rate of 44.1 kHz is based on equations first published in 1928, the pulse code modulation (PCM) method of audio encoding used by the CD dates to 1948, and the error correction codes used date to 1960. With all these disparate parts waiting for someone to develop a workable system in the 1970s, several competing groups worked in secret.

It was Philips Industries, a Dutch-based electronics giant (known in the music world as owner of the PolyGram labels), that made the first announcement, on May 17, 1978. Working with Japan's Sony Corporation, Philips announced that they would have a marketable compact disc and appropriate hardware ready "in the early 1980s." That promise was kept on October 1, 1982, when the compact disc was introduced in Japan by CBS/Sony, with 112 different CD titles and a CD player (Sony's CDP-101). The last few months of 1982 were hectic, with Sony selling over 20,000 CD players and Hitachi also posting sales in the 6,000 per month range for their player. Prices for these initial players ran from about $700 to about $1000. The discs themselves, priced at about $15-20, could not be pressed fast enough to meet demand. Sony's research on who was buying the discs in Japan indicated it was young (20s, early 30s) men with a particular interest in sound quality. Perhaps it was this research that led others to believe, as the rest of the world looked on in curiosity to what was happening in Japan, that CDs would fill a niche for high quality sound enthusiasts and little else. By the end of 1982, CBS/Sony and Epic/Sony had issued 122 CD titles. Of these, 34 were classical, followed in number by jazz, rock, and pop, including 12 karaoke ("empty orchestra") titles to be used in singalongs (gadzooks, what hath CD wrought?). Among the titles were Billy Joel's Nylon Curtain and 52nd Street, Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, REO Speedwagon's Hi Infidelity, and Michael Jackson's Off The Wall.

The stories about compact discs published in Billboard during early 1983 are fascinating. The lead story on January 29 has PolyGram mulling over how to package the CD in the US when it's released later in 1983, leaning toward the (in retrospect, ill-fated) "long box," the 6"x12" cardboard box which they convinced the industry to adopt at the RIAA (Record Industry Association of America) meeting the next week. (Many at the meeting were considering a 12"x12" box!) In February, Sony announced a "firm" suggested retail price of $1000 for their CD player and $16.98 for discs when they would be introduced later that year in the US. February 23, 1983 marked the debut of the compact disc in Europe, with PolyGram's Hans Gout noting that, "The sooner the Compact Disc replaces the conventional black vinyl LP, the better." By early March, Sony and CBS Records in the US were supplying free compact disc players and discs to selected radio stations here, mostly with Classical and Album-Oriented Rock formats. The March 12 issue of Billboard also notes that Capitol Record Shop, a Hartford, Connecticut, record store, had begun importing CDs from Japan and Europe, with 24 titles at a price tag of $24.95 each. At the time the owner was interviewed, he had only sold a total of one disc.

Several months of delays and anticipation dragged by, until in late June, 1983, CBS finally shipped the first CD "prepacks" to a select 35 accounts. Each prepack had a total of 12 titles, with no more than a total of 1000 prepacks altogether in the first shipment. Among the individual titles were Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here, Billy Joel's The Stranger, Michael Jackson's Thriller, and Toto's Toto IV. Other titles were jazz and classical. The CD era had begun in the United States.

Within about a month, CBS had issued several other pop/rock titles, including Boston's Don't Look Back, Earth Wind & Fire's Raise!, ELO's Discovery, Journey's Escape, Boz Scaggs' Silk Degrees, Barbra Streisand's Guilty, and Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run. These had the CBS logo (and mastering numbers in the DIDP 50000 series). Later, these were reissued with Columbia logos, but these remain as examples of the earliest American CD releases.

that was a very interesting read. i can remember the first cassette single i went into the store and bought.
:crazy:

I can Remember the first 8-track I bought...Kiss Destroyer...a week after it came out

I think.. :crazy:

I was looking through my CDs last night... and pulled out Iron Maiden's "The Number of the Beast". That was released on CD by Capitol Records/EMI Records in 1982 if I'm not mistaken. Could Iron Maiden be one of the early "metal" CDs released?

I can remember the first time I ever saw a CD player on sale in a Sears store, circa 1984... it cost somewhere in the $1000 range if memory serves, and the display of CDs next to it were strictly top-selling pop artists of the time (Madonna, Elton John, etc.), and there were only a dozen or so titles available. My brother and I scoffed and said "You gotta be kidding, screw these things, this will never take off" ;)

that was a very interesting read. i can remember the first cassette single i went into the store and bought.

:crazy:

I can Remember the first 8-track I bought...Kiss Destroyer...a week after it came out

I think.. :crazy:

So, tell me all about it. Grandpa! :)

• 3 years later...
Guest attacker

All Roadrunner slimline series (white slim case) pressed by 1985:

Lee Aaron - S/T

Lee Aaron - Metal Queen

Anvil - Forged In Fire

Anvil - Metal On Metal

Anvil - Hard 'N Heavy

Au Pairs - Playing With A Different Sex

Jaguar - This Time

Mad Max - Rollin' Thunder

Manowar - Hail To England

Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath

Mercyful Fate - Melissa

Metallica - Kill 'Em All

Raven - All For One

Slayer - Show No Mercy

Slayer - Hell Awaits

Tokyo Blade - S/T

Tokyo Blade - Night Of The Blade

Twisted Sister - Under The Blade

Venom - At War With Satan

This is propably first "strictly" metal issues.

• 3 weeks later...

The first CD I ever bought was Meat Loaf- Bat Out Of Hell. I remember reading somewhere that the first CD ever pressed was Michael Jackson- Thriller. Don't know if its true but makes sense considering the time (1983).

wasnt the first cd brothers in arms by dire straits?

From Wikipedia:

The first artist to sell a million copies on CD was Dire Straits, with its 1985 album Brothers in Arms.

• 6 years later...

Don't know the first 10 or 20 heavy metal cds but the very first one was this (according to www.gizmodo.com.au)

"The first CD ever made was pressed on August 17, 1982. It was actually a pressing of ABBAs The Visitors album."

And why 74 minutes worth of storage?

"To fit Beethoven's 9th Symphony, of course."