Should Ten have called it quits after 'Babylon'?

Ten  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good day all. Okay, I've just had the displeasure of listening to an advance copy of the new Ten disc, 'The twilight chronicles'. All through it I was asking this question. I hate the 'Spellbound' album, but overall I think Ten had a good, solid discography up to and including 2000. I think 'Babylon' is pretty much on par with what is arguably their best work, the debut. It was a great return to form after the questionable 'Spellbound'.

Now, don't get me wrong - I quite like 'Far beyond the world', but this is where I noticed the cracks starting to appear. A couple of great tracks, but generally it was all samey and very heard-it-all-before-ish. I just didn't think it was a great album at all and although not bad, could have been avoided?

Again, same with 'Return to the evermore', but IMO even worse. Not a bad album, but easily their most mechanical and routine album ever, IMO. This just sounds like recycled Ten tracks. Then the debacle of 'The essential collection' and now the mid-90's indie-like production and song-quality of 'Twilight Chronicles', with drums that sound like tins and an overall sound and delivery which is just, well, of a very low quality, IMO. This is easily their worst album yet and I can't help but think... should they just have called it quits on a high after 'Babylon' as their steady and obvious decline is really quite sad. They were once a very, very good band. That's how I'd like to remember them.

Should've called it quits after the debut album IMO.

Although I rate the first couple of albums subsequent albums seemed to leave me colder with each release, apart from Far Beyond the World which I thought quite good. I didn't bother with Return to Evermore as I had kind of tired of their sound. I reckon I'll get it at some point (actually after reading Geoff's post I may skip it). I also really enjoyed the two Gary Hughes Arthurian project CD's the Once and Forever King.

Yeah, I agree with Nick. Their sound has just become tiring... that's the best word to describe it. I'm not saying bands have to change their style or sound different with each album - plenty of great bands stick to a style and always sound great... but Ten have just seemed to record the same song, over and over again and really become boring and predictable in the process. :(

Tim (2), you don't like 'In the name of the rose', 'The robe' or 'Babylon'?

Yeah, I agree with Nick. Their sound has just become tiring... that's the best word to describe it. I'm not saying bands have to change their style or sound different with each album - plenty of great bands stick to a style and always sound great... but Ten have just seemed to record the same song, over and over again and really become boring and predictable in the process. :(

Tim (2), you don't like 'In the name of the rose', 'The robe' or 'Babylon'?

I don't have "Babylon" but have the others, and they're very samey. Decent songs, not-so-great production, a very 'English' sound, but the formula remains the same on each album. The only truly essential disc is the first one IMO.

I have all the Ten Cd's and I loved Spellbound-the celtic/thin Lizzy slant was a welcome change. The production Rocks!!

I have been steadily disapointed with all the releases after it.

After Vinny Burns left they should have called it a day. There arn't many originals left (Gary i think)

Yeah, I have also bought all their albums and own them all (the as 2 in 1 deal after I'd bought the debut), except the new one... but there is no way in the world I would buy this new one having heard the advance. Not even to complete the collection. I also agree that if not 'Babylon', the band should have finished up when Vinny left.

Loved the debut, and after that it has been a bit of a gradual downhill slide for me. Whilst all the albums since the debut have had some good songs on board, the consistency levels have been pretty up and down, although I thought 'Far Beyond The World' & 'Return To Evermore' were a lot better. After the complete shite that was 'The Essential Collection' I will be definately waiting to hear the new one before I even consider buying it. After that production fiasco, I will need some serious convincing!!!!!

• 4 years later...

To me, all Ten albums sound samey... but since I like the overall sound, that's not a bad thing. In my opinion, their first three albums are absolute monsters and would be all-time classics were it not for the absolutely horrific production and mix.

I had high hopes when The Essentials Collection was first announced, thinking that the early material would FINALLY get the sonic treatment it deserved, only to find that they were inconceivably made WORSE.

Remix and remaster "The Robe" and I'd be in hog heaven.

The new album is quite good. Is it a radical departure? No. But it's kinda like expecting something different when a new AC/DC or Fair Warning album comes out... not gunna happen.