Comic books

Faust

Do you love comics books ? Who are your favourite authors ? Let's talk about comics ...

Mine (in no particular order) :

- Neil Gaiman (Sandman...)

- Mike Mignola (Hellboy... I love his work in black and white)

- Alan Moore (One the best scenarist in the world !)

- Philippe Druillet (A fantastic french author and designer)

- Frank Miller (Sin City)

- Andreas (A German author who lives in France... He did the 'Rork' series)

- Comes (another german author who live in France)

- Alex Ross (this man is a genius !)

- Moebius (Jean Giraud is his true name... A french author who make a brilliant carrier in USA. Certainly my fave author)

- Simon Bisley (Lobo rules !)

... etc etc

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a retired comic book collector who sold off most of my collection during the late 90s but I still have several boxes of favorite stuff in the closet. I collected from around 1980 (when I was ten years old) until around 1994 or 95 (when I bought my first new car and suddenly didn't have as much $$ to spend on comics!). I probably had around 5000 books by the time I dropped out of it. Anyway, my favorites were...

ANYTHING with Spider-Man in it (Amazing Spider Man, Marvel Team Up, Spectacular Spider Man, Marvel Tales, etc., etc.)

The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers (I got my "Fat Freddy" screen name from a character in this book, classic 1960s/70s underground humor, like Cheech & Chong in comic book form)

Ralph Snart Adventures (By Marc Hansen, absolutely bizarre, sick, twisted humor)

Howard the Duck (The movie basically destroyed this character but the original 1970s comic series, written by Steve Gerber, is still some of the most subversive, oddball material every published by Marvel)

Superman (particularly the late 80s revision started by John Byrne's MAN OF STEEL mini-series)

There are tons more but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now... if I think of anything else I'll come back!

5000 !!!! Wow, what a huge collection !

Personnally I have about 'only' 600/700 titles in my collection (I have to sell a lot !). The most important part of my collection is composed by european authors... When I was kid, I've grew up with Marvel DC Comics but also with belgium comics (Tintin, Blake & Mortimer ...). Now I'm not in the standard US Superheroes (my Fave was Daredevil (the movie is a shame !) and The Avengers of the West Coast - which is Canadian but not sure - ...), except for The Watchmen which is excellent !

Keith, do you know some european authors ? In particular Belgium and french... Cuz there's a lot of differences between european comics and comics from USA (format, style etc)...

I don't know most of comics you mentionned above, but this one : "Ralph Snart Adventures (By Marc Hansen, absolutely bizarre, sick, twisted humor)" seems very cool... I have to check this on the web. If the graphism is good i'll try this one...

:drink:

Like Freddy, I have since stopped collecting...............well.........on a large basis. I still buy the Avengers and Ultimates series.

But, I was a HUGE fan of the Marvel comics.........mainly The Avengers....The Defenders....and most of their members like Iron Man...Captain America...Vision....Valkyrie, etc.. I started collecting back in the mid 1970's......

5000 !!!! Wow, what a huge collection !

Personnally I have about 'only' 600/700 titles in my collection (I have to sell a lot !). The most important part of my collection is composed by european authors... When I was kid, I've grew up with Marvel DC Comics but also with belgium comics (Tintin, Blake & Mortimer ...). Now I'm not in the standard US Superheroes (my Fave was Daredevil (the movie is a shame !) and The Avengers of the West Coast - which is Canadian but not sure - ...), except for The Watchmen which is excellent !

Keith, do you know some european authors ? In particular Belgium and french... Cuz there's a lot of differences between european comics and comics from USA (format, style etc)...

I don't know most of comics you mentionned above, but this one : "Ralph Snart Adventures (By Marc Hansen, absolutely bizarre, sick, twisted humor)" seems very cool... I have to check this on the web. If the graphism is good i'll try this one...

Faust, if you're interested, the creator of Ralph Snart has his own website, which is www.marchansenstuff.com. I do believe he's got just about every page he's ever published up on that site for viewing, so there's lots of Ralph Snart, as well as his follow up books "Dr. Gorpon, Monster Hunter" and "Weird Melvin." It's cartoony but it's very well done, lots of monsters, blood, gore and sick humor.

I know of "TinTin" and "Lucky Luke" from European comics, I had some issues of both in my old collection, as well as a few issues of "Heavy Metal" magazine that had a lot of stuff by European artists, but mostly I collected the standard American stuff, i.e. superheroes, Marvel and DC's. I had a lot of Dark Horse comics too because they did a lot of movie-related comics ("Aliens," "Predator," "Terminator," etc.) that I liked a lot.

I spent a month in Germany as an exchange student in 1987 and I picked up quite a pile of German editions of Batman, Spiderman, even some Donald Duck and other Disney comics. I still have those and I like to look at them every once in a while even though my knowledge of high-school German is all but gone...

And check out the Freak Brothers if you can, not only were they absolutely hilarious but they were very well drawn (by Gilbert Sheridan and Dave Mavrides)... that series is in my Top Ten list of all time.

Richie Rich and Casper were some of the first comics I collected as a little kid in the 70s (Archie too!) ... then I discovered superheroes when I was around 9 or 10 years old and I got "serious," hahaha

Richie Rich and Casper were some of the first comics I collected as a little kid in the 70s (Archie too!) ... then I discovered superheroes when I was around 9 or 10 years old and I got "serious," hahaha

Hahaha...I got into Mad Magazine..and Cracked.....Those were a bit more adult...but

they were so funny....

Hahaha...I got into Mad Magazine..and Cracked.....Those were a bit more adult...but

they were so funny....

Hell yea, MAD magazine was the sheeeit back in the '70s! I remember the first one I ever bought had a parody of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" in it and it only cost sixty cents in those days!! I had a huge collection of MAD going back to the late 60s, that was classic stuff. Cracked was pretty cool too. Marvel Comics even got on that bandwagon for a while, they published a MAD-style magazine called "Crazy" for a couple of years in the late 70s/early 80s.

I flicked thru an issue of MAD a year or two ago and it looks so different now... it's on glossy paper, everything's in color, and there are even ADS in it, which they never had in the old days. It looks like a lot of the old school artists (George Woodbridge, Dave Berg, Jack Davis, Angelo Torres, etc.) are gone too... but hell, I wonder if any of those guys are even still alive?

My fave is Cerebus by Dave Sim although it got a little heavy towards the end

also like

Bone by Jeff Smith

(by the way the complete series in one volume is being reprinted again for September/October so don't pay the stupid eBay prices for it)

I like the Furry Freak Brothers too....I THINK I have most of them but haven't checked for a few years to see if any more have been printed.

Also from years ago a magazine called Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction which ran for about 7 or 8 issues.

My fave is Cerebus by Dave Sim although it got a little heavy towards the end

Nick, I'm suprised that you didn't mentionned Calvin and Hobbes because of your avatar.

I like the Furry Freak Brothers too....I THINK I have most of them but haven't checked for a few years to see if any more have been printed.

Right on Nick! I think I may be missing an issue of Freak Brothers as well, I'd have to go home and look at my comics to make sure but I think the most recent issue I had was #12 (circa 1992 or so) and there may have been a new issue produced since then, but I haven't set foot in a comic book store for many years now...

Any Robert Crumb fans in the house? I have a bunch of his stuff in what little remains of my collection too. "Zap Comix," "Big Ass Comics" ("Fantasy With The Behind In Mind!") "Home Grown Funnies"... Man, that guy is sick, but hilarious...

Faust, if you're interested, the creator of Ralph Snart has his own website, which is www.marchansenstuff.com. I do believe he's got just about every page he's ever published up on that site for viewing, so there's lots of Ralph Snart, as well as his follow up books "Dr. Gorpon, Monster Hunter" and "Weird Melvin." It's cartoony but it's very well done, lots of monsters, blood, gore and sick humor.

Just check the website, seems very good (nasty graphics) but unfortunally my bad english don't allow me to apreciated correctly the story... There's a lot of expression that I don't understand ! :crying:

I know of "TinTin" and "Lucky Luke" from European comics, I had some issues of both in my old collection, as well as a few issues of "Heavy Metal" magazine that had a lot of stuff by European artists, but mostly I collected the standard American stuff, i.e. superheroes, Marvel and DC's. I had a lot of Dark Horse comics too because they did a lot of movie-related comics ("Aliens," "Predator," "Terminator," etc.) that I liked a lot.

Tintin and Lucky Luke are nowaday very oldies and dusty. The new wave of european comics is very creative and prolific... Just in France there's more than 700 titles in store each year, between september and december...

About Heavy Metal magazine : what a myth ! What a legend ! :bowdown: It's the magazine of my young years (but I'm still young !)... I love Caza (this guy was my professor at school art, he learn to me the way to make numeric colors in comics books, it's my master !), Druillet (check out his site : DRUILLET WEBSITE), Corben...etc. This magazine is very important for me because it's also with this magazine I've listening my first hard rock discs (souvenirs !)... :headbanger:

Just check the website, seems very good (nasty graphics) but unfortunally my bad english don't allow me to apreciated correctly the story... There's a lot of expression that I don't understand ! :crying:

Haha, yeah, now that I think about it, the humor may be a little too "Americanized" for ya, Faust, but at least it was a lot of fun to look at huh? Seems to me like the artist was influenced by the horror comics of the 1950s and "Looney Tunes" cartoons. Very silly but sick and twisted at the same time!

About Heavy Metal magazine : what a myth ! What a legend ! :bowdown: It's the magazine of my young years (but I'm still young !)... I love Caza (this guy was my professor at school art, he learn to me the way to make numeric colors in comics books, it's my master !), Druillet (check out his site : DRUILLET WEBSITE), Corben...etc. This magazine is very important for me because it's also with this magazine I've listening my first hard rock discs (souvenirs !)... :headbanger:

Do they even still publish "Heavy Metal" magazine? I haven't seen an issue in years, but like I said, I've been out of the comic book loop for quite a while now. Last I heard the American edition was being published by Kevin Eastman, who co-created the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in the '80s. (He's also married to Julie Strain, which reminds me, Faust, quit teasing me with the non-Julie avatars, hahaha!) Maybe the failure of the "Heavy Metal 2000" movie put an end to it over here?

Haha, yeah, now that I think about it, the humor may be a little too "Americanized" for ya, Faust, but at least it was a lot of fun to look at huh? Seems to me like the artist was influenced by the horror comics of the 1950s and "Looney Tunes" cartoons. Very silly but sick and twisted at the same time!

Yeah graphics are funny and "nasty"... It reminds me me a little bit a french author who make very very outragous and delicious comics, called Phillippe Vuillemin (HERE a weblink).

Do they even still publish "Heavy Metal" magazine? I haven't seen an issue in years, but like I said, I've been out of the comic book loop for quite a while now. Last I heard the American edition was being published by Kevin Eastman, who co-created the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in the '80s. (He's also married to Julie Strain, which reminds me, Faust, quit teasing me with the non-Julie avatars, hahaha!) Maybe the failure of the "Heavy Metal 2000" movie put an end to it over here?

Yes, in France the magazine is still alive... It's not as good as before but it's very correct because the magazine is made of international young authors... But there's now only strips, no more articles and chronicles...

Here a recent cover :

heavymetalts2.jpg

Julie will be back mate, for sure ! She's my lovely goddess :bowdown:

Just for eyes pleasure :doh: :

juliezt3.jpg

It reminds me me a little bit a french author who make very very outragous and delicious comics, called Phillippe Vuillemin (HERE a weblink).

Now that's EXTREMELY outrageous, Chris !!! Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl2:

Now that's EXTREMELY outrageous, Chris !!! Jeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol: It's because of my english ? I know, I'm too bad in english, I'm so sorry :crying: Sometimes I wonder myself how it's possible I've posted more than 500 messages here ! :lol::lol: I do my best ! :doh:

But... What about Jez ?

My Internet filter at work won't let me see the "outrageous" link you posted, Faust, which I guess means it must REALLY be good! I'll have to wait till I get home to check that out. (Although oddly enough, it allowed me to see the picture of Julie Strain, but obviously I'm not complaining about that, hahahaha!)

:lol::lol: It's because of my english ? I know, I'm too bad in english, I'm so sorry :crying: Sometimes I wonder myself how it's possible I've posted more then 500 messages here ! :lol::lol: I do my best ! :doh:

But... What about Jez ?

Your english is fine, Chris ! Don't worry ! I meant to agree with you that this comic is very outrageous, but still funny ! I was just looking at the pictures as I do not read or speak any french.

I didn't mean Jez. That was just a huge exclamation. :P

Your english is fine, Chris ! Don't worry ! I meant to agree with you that this comic is very outrageous, but still funny ! I was just looking at the pictures as I do not read or speak any french.

I didn't mean Jez. That was just a huge exclamation. :P

Wow sorry Bernd :lol: Seems I understand nothing at all at your post :lol::anon:

Oh really ? Jez is also a huge exclamation ? This guy is famous at this point ? Impressive :)

:lol::lol: It's because of my english ? I know, I'm too bad in english, I'm so sorry :crying: Sometimes I wonder myself how it's possible I've posted more than 500 messages here ! :lol::lol: I do my best ! :doh:

But... What about Jez ?

Hey Faust, I was able to check out your link and even though I can't read French at all, those cartoons definitely look like Ralph Snart style twisted humor.. :tumbsup:

Are you familiar with the German comic character "Werner?" I brought back quite a few books featuring him from my visit to Germany in the '80s, and I even had a T-Shirt! I don't remember much of my German from high school anymore but I still have the books and I like to look through those once in a while. Werner was a biker with a big nose who got drunk a lot and that always got him into bizarre situations, it was pretty funny stuff. I believe the name of the cartoonist who drew that strip was named "Brosel." (Swazi, maybe you remember Werner? Is he still around?)

I've always loved buying a few comic books here and there but I don't have a heck of a lot. My absolute favorite are the old issues of Fantastic Four (before they added the robot and other silliness). Also GI Joe and Archie (still buy an issue when I'm in line at the grocery store). Another favorite is one about this hero that fights Nazis back in WWII but the name of it escapes me. I haven't gone through my comics in years but I remember really liking that one. I think the guy was dressed in a blue air force uniform with a captains cap but I may be way off base. I just remember I could never find another issue in the stores so I pretty much gave up looking.

Are you familiar with the German comic character "Werner?"

I dunno know this comic. Maybe Swazi ...