Comic books

Faust

Are you familiar with the German comic character "Werner?" I brought back quite a few books featuring him from my visit to Germany in the '80s, and I even had a T-Shirt! I don't remember much of my German from high school anymore but I still have the books and I like to look through those once in a while. Werner was a biker with a big nose who got drunk a lot and that always got him into bizarre situations, it was pretty funny stuff. I believe the name of the cartoonist who drew that strip was named "Brosel." (Swazi, maybe you remember Werner? Is he still around?)

Sure ! Werner is still around !! :P He is still cult over here !!

Werner homepage

Your description of him is pretty good ! :P

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fave is Cerebus by Dave Sim although it got a little heavy towards the end

Nick, I'm suprised that you didn't mentionned Calvin and Hobbes because of your avatar.

Actually you know I forgot all about that!!!! I've got all the books and even the reprinted big huge 3 volume collection that weighs a ton. But they were more a small strip rather than a comic I suppose. I like the Far Side too and also have the big huge all in two volumes collection of that...but the same goes for that I guess.

Also I treat Calvin and Hobbes as real people and talk to the books in lonely moments :wacko:

Werner homepage

AWESOME! I may have to get my old German-to-English dictionary out so I can understand that web site, but it's so COOL that Werner is still alive and kicking! I see that he still has his own brand of beer too! I had a German girlfriend in college and when she found out I was a Werner fan she had her family pick up a few bottles of that and send them to her for me. I still have them, one is un-opened! I doubt it's still drinkable after sixteen years or so but it's an interesting conversation piece on my shelf! :)

Werner homepage

AWESOME! I may have to get my old German-to-English dictionary out so I can understand that web site, but it's so COOL that Werner is still alive and kicking! I see that he still has his own brand of beer too! I had a German girlfriend in college and when she found out I was a Werner fan she had her family pick up a few bottles of that and send them to her for me. I still have them, one is un-opened! I doubt it's still drinkable after sixteen years or so but it's an interesting conversation piece on my shelf! :)

:rofl2:

That beers is called "Boelkstoff". Translated it means something like "burp brew" ! :P

That beers is called "Boelkstoff". Translated it means something like "burp brew" ! :P

If my memory serves me correctly, the bottles of Werner beer that I did drink provided many burps, so that's perfect! :)

For the die-hards... new stamps released today:

06_dccomics_300s.jpg

Awesome! Now THOSE are some old school heroes!!

Another favorite is one about this hero that fights Nazis back in WWII but the name of it escapes me. I haven't gone through my comics in years but I remember really liking that one. I think the guy was dressed in a blue air force uniform with a captains cap but I may be way off base. I just remember I could never find another issue in the stores so I pretty much gave up looking.

Would this be "Blackhawk" by any chance, BT? I had a TON of issues of that in my old collection. There were seven guys in the Blackhawk group, they all had souped up airplanes and they kicked lots of Nazi ass. That series dates back to the 1940s. They disappeared for a while and then they were published by DC on and off from the 60s to the early '80s. Howard ("American Flagg") Chaykin re-vamped them in the mid-'80s but that version was a little too adult/avant-garde for me. Overall, they were pretty cool stuff though. I still have a page of original Blackhawk artwork signed by Dave Cockrum (who also did "X-Men" back in the mid-70s) from when I met him at a comic book convention in the late '80s...

For the die-hards... new stamps released today:

06_dccomics_300s.jpg

Wow excellent ! It's stamps for USA I guess... Looks so pretty !

Yep, those are US stamps, Faust. I actually used to have the "Supergirl" issue that's in the bottom row of that picture. It was from the early '80s (probably around the time that god-awful Supergirl movie was made) and it wasn't worth much. However, the "Batman" comic shown there is issue #1 from 1940, that goes for a LOT of $$ nowadays...

I should hit my local post office and see if I can get one of these stamp sheets... it would look pretty cool in a nice frame hanging on my wall, eh? :)

Another favorite is one about this hero that fights Nazis back in WWII but the name of it escapes me. I haven't gone through my comics in years but I remember really liking that one. I think the guy was dressed in a blue air force uniform with a captains cap but I may be way off base. I just remember I could never find another issue in the stores so I pretty much gave up looking.

Would this be "Blackhawk" by any chance, BT? I had a TON of issues of that in my old collection. There were seven guys in the Blackhawk group, they all had souped up airplanes and they kicked lots of Nazi ass. That series dates back to the 1940s. They disappeared for a while and then they were published by DC on and off from the 60s to the early '80s. Howard ("American Flagg") Chaykin re-vamped them in the mid-'80s but that version was a little too adult/avant-garde for me. Overall, they were pretty cool stuff though. I still have a page of original Blackhawk artwork signed by Dave Cockrum (who also did "X-Men" back in the mid-70s) from when I met him at a comic book convention in the late '80s...

I couldn't tell you at the moment. I'm rummaging around the spare bedroom looking for my box of comics and Becketts and for the life of me I can't remember where they are. They'll turn up sometime, probably 5 years from now. <_<

I just started reading the Young Avengers series.............very damn good!!

the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA comic looks pretty good

"Battlestar Galactica" was well represented in my old collection. I had all 23 or 24 of the issues Marvel did in the late 70s/early 80s based on the old TV show, as well as an oversized Marvel Super Special adaptation of the two-hour series premiere. Great stuff. Loved that old show. (Not so crazy about the new one but that's a whole 'nother thread.) I had a few issues of the "Galactica" comics that Rob Liefeld did in the mid-90s but wasn't as impressed.

Who's publishing the new "Galactica" comics, Mustang? Any idea who the writers/artists are? I'm assuming it's based on the new Sci-Fi Channel version of the show, not the "classic" one?

an oversized Marvel Super Special adaptation

I always loved it when they made those... :)

I had the two Star Wars super specials too, as well as a bunch of others that reprinted classic editions of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, the Hulk, etc., etc. Wish I still had some of those but I let'em go when I sold off the bulk of my collection. D'OH! :homer:

an oversized Marvel Super Special adaptation

I always loved it when they made those... :)

I had the two Star Wars super specials too, as well as a bunch of others that reprinted classic editions of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, the Hulk, etc., etc. Wish I still had some of those but I let'em go when I sold off the bulk of my collection. D'OH! :homer:

You and me both brother... :(

the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA comic looks pretty good

"Battlestar Galactica" was well represented in my old collection. I had all 23 or 24 of the issues Marvel did in the late 70s/early 80s based on the old TV show, as well as an oversized Marvel Super Special adaptation of the two-hour series premiere. Great stuff. Loved that old show. (Not so crazy about the new one but that's a whole 'nother thread.) I had a few issues of the "Galactica" comics that Rob Liefeld did in the mid-90s but wasn't as impressed.

Who's publishing the new "Galactica" comics, Mustang? Any idea who the writers/artists are? I'm assuming it's based on the new Sci-Fi Channel version of the show, not the "classic" one?

yes, based on the new one and it is put out by dynamite entertainment

http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/htmlf..._Galactica.html

Dynamite Entertainment? Never heard of'em... of course, I've been out of the comic book loop for so long that if I walked into a comic shop right now I probably wouldn't recognize half of the titles/publishers out there...

Went digging thru my oldies last night and found a few issues of Sergio Aragones' "GROO The Wanderer" series, anyone remember that one? Loved that book. When it comes to silly cartooning, Sergio is God.

• 2 months later...

Here is a funny online comic (with some familiar characters...)

>> Backstage The Comic <<

• 1 year later...

AHA! Dammit I KNEW there had been a comic book thread around here SOMEWHERE...

Anyway, a co-worker who knows I'm a retired comic book geek sent me this eBay link and I drooled. Anybody got $42,000 or so they don't know what to do with? Take a shot at this baby!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=260224434760

yay, another "Nerd" thread!

personally, if have to say my fave writers are; Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman and Garth Ennis.

fave comics would be Sin City, Sandman, Preacher, Judge Dredd and some of the more adult Batman stories....

• 3 months later...

I couldn't tell you at the moment. I'm rummaging around the spare bedroom looking for my box of comics and Becketts and for the life of me I can't remember where they are. They'll turn up sometime, probably 5 years from now. <_<

Well it wasn't five years, but it was darn close. Today my wife comes up to me and asks me what I want to do with this big green bin. I asked her what was in it and she told me "a bunch of your junk". I opened it up and there are all of my comics, all of my Beckett's, a big satin AC/DC flag, a couple boxes of hockey cards and pretty much everything else I have been saving since high school!

So to answer your question Keith, Yes, it was Blackhawk. I have issue #267 from Feb 84. I also have a bunch of Fantastic Four and some Transformers and Star Wars comics in there as well. I am as happy as a clam right now! :D

So to answer your question Keith, Yes, it was Blackhawk. I have issue #267 from Feb 84.

:rofl2: That's awesome. I probably had that one too. I loved that early 80s series, used to buy it every month. It was one of the better war comics of the day, alongside "Sgt. Rock."

As I mentioned earlier, I even have a page of original "Blackhawk" art (I forget which issue) around here somewhere, signed by Dave Cockrum, the artist who drew the issue. I bought it from him at a comic book store signing session many years ago. He's better known for his work on "X-Men" in the late 70s/early 80s so when I walked up to him and started talking to him about Blackhawk, he was like "Holy COW, a Blackhawk fan??" ... I sez, "Yea, I figured you're probably tired of talking about the X-Men by now." :lol: Very cool guy.