First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Mehida - Blood And Water

Top notch Melodic Metal from Finland featuring Thomas Vikstrom on Vox. First heard the track 'Grace' on the recent 'Metal Hammer' compilation disc and thought it was rather damned fine. Well the Album full has arrived and it is an absolute belter of a disc. Melodic metal with a slightly Proggy twist, but with some amazing melodies, Check out the aforementioned 'Grace', 'Wings Of Dove', 'Stronghold' ,'Guilty' and 'Multitude' for starters. Musically they are excellent aswell, with an extra special mention to the Keys on here which are stunning. Production is right up there with the best, so all in all this is one fantastic album and one that will be right up their in my little list at the end of the year.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel - 'Angels and devils' ; I'm going to give 'em this one. Very good new album, much better than I expected. I actually quite like the new vocalist and there are a lot of very good songs here...Still very much Fuel, but based on first listens, IMO, this is easily their best album...by far.

Not having cared much for any of Fuel's earlier output, I hadn't bothered with the new one, but based on your positive review, I went and checked out samples and immediately put it on my "To Buy" list. I could easily see (hear) Chris Daughtry singing these songs; in fact, the sound/style is fairly similar to Daughtry's album.

Yeah, there's definitely a similarity to Daughtry's disc. I'm glad to say the vocal swap seems to have been a success too, a positive transition, if you ask me. I don't mind the other dude, but as I said, I think I prefer the new guy.

First spins of a couple of the promos I received last week to review:

Method of Destruction (M.O.D.) - RED, WHITE AND SCREWED

Billy Milano of Stormtroopers of Death infamy returns with another studio album. Thankfully this one sounds a lot better on the first spin than his last M.O.D. album, THE REBEL YOU LOVE TO HATE, which was a god-awful, filler-packed mess except for two semi-decent songs ("Ass-Ghanistan" and "Wigga"). As always, Billy's song titles are hilariously un-P.C. ("Jose Can You See," "Suicide Bomb Pop," "Balls On Bread" being a few highlights) but unfortunately, everything Billy has done since S.O.D.'s watermark SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE (1985) has ended up sounding like a pale imitation of that masterpiece. Still, it's nice to hear him getting somewhat back on track after his last disaster. Definitely worth a few more spins.

Hurtlocker - EMBRACE THE FALL

Better Left Unsaid - THE SILENCING

OK, I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that both of these bands like Machine Head, Bullet For My Valentine, Shadows Fall, and the rest of the "modern thrash" brigade a whole heckuva lot. I actually had to keep checking the CD covers to see which band I was listening to at the time cuz they both sound pretty much the same... generic mosh-it-up riffery that wouldn't be so bad by itself if it weren't for the annoying WOOOOOAAAAARRRRGH vocals which are interchangeable from band to band. Delete, ignore, destroy.

Cauterize - 'Disguises' ;

I put so much hope and expectation in these guys that a band can only expect to fail to deliver... unless, of course, that band is Cauterize. With 'Paper Wings' I already had 7 and 1/2 of these songs (1/2 because this version includes a full band version of 'Paper wings' whilst it's an acoustice version on the album of the same name). So, I already new the 8 songs I had kicked ass, and they do again. Listening closely, I can hear the slight modifications and additions to the tracks, also with a better production job. The only ones I really noticed were the original version of 'Closer' was a little bit better, and the new version of 'Miracles or Medicine' is better. But both only marginally.

As for the new songs, they're all amazing. Not just good or great, but amazing. 'Don't stop now' should be tearing the charts apart, 'Love in the attic', the absolute killer 'Devil in lace' and just as awesome 'Slivers' are all dead-set stunners. Fans of the debut will rejoice too, to hear they're all fast paced songs about twisted and f*cked up relationships with truly brilliant lyrics and lyrical concepts... just like the debut. I truly treasure each on of these 4 new songs and am really dying for a full new CD from these guys.

In short, the CD is f*cking amazing and as if it was ever going to be any different, it immediately slots into the spot for best album of 2007.

Burn - 'Global Warning' ; Very good new solid album. Much better than the 2 solid previous releases from these guys. Much beefier, heavier sound and the songs are just light years better than previous outings. I really enjoyed this... should rank high this year.

Burn - 'Global Warning' ; Very good new solid album. Much better than the 2 solid previous releases from these guys. Much beefier, heavier sound and the songs are just light years better than previous outings. I really enjoyed this... should rank high this year.

i was just listening to some clips of this on mr.com. thought it sounded decent but wasnt sure if it deserved another listen.... thoughts?

ICED EARTH - Framing Armageddon

This is a very ambitious album. To try & tie together a complex concept story, and make great songs is a tough thing to do. There are some really strong tunes on here, & it's more OTT than ever (the sound is HUGE), but they don't quite pull it off. This is a struggle to get through on the first spin though, so will stick with it...

i was just listening to some clips of this on mr.com. thought it sounded decent but wasnt sure if it deserved another listen.... thoughts?

Oh yes it does...Top album!!!!!!!!!!!

FUEL: "Angels & Devils"

New CD with a new singer pretty much sounds like a new band. This is light-years ahead of the group's previous output, none of which ever made it into my collection. But this...this is great modern hard rock, loaded with hooks, memorable choruses, layered vocals, and that love-it-or-hate-it bass-dominated modern production sound that it so popular these days. It probably won't be for everyone, but those who dabble in the modern hard rock pool, those who enjoyed recent Saliva, Papa Roach, Nickelback, Daughtry, etc., will find this right up their alley.

OVERKILL-Immortalis

What can ya say about these guys..They been doing this for years and never seem to run out of ideas. I have never been a Huge diehard fan, but I have always liked em. This release is a MONSTER!! They know how and when to Groove,Riff,Scream,Chug...and put it all into great memorable songs...Some Killer Riffing abounds and as usual the Band

sounds tight. Blitz' Voice has never sounded better IMO....Fans of this band will

Love this...

OVERKILL-Immortalis

What can ya say about these guys..They been doing this for years and never seem to run out of ideas. I have never been a Huge diehard fan, but I have always liked em. This release is a MONSTER!! They know how and when to Groove,Riff,Scream,Chug...and put it all into great memorable songs...Some Killer Riffing abounds and as usual the Band

sounds tight. Blitz' Voice has never sounded better IMO....Fans of this band will

Love this...

Wow, you got that early. Isn't out here until October 9... Is this better than "ReliXIV"?

OVERKILL-Immortalis

Love this...

Wow, you got that early. Isn't out here until October 9... Is this better than "ReliXIV"?

I have not heard Relix..but this thing is Kicking My Ass!!! :beerbang:

OVERKILL-Immortalis

Love this...

I might check this one out!

OVERKILL-Immortalis

Love this...

Sounds sweet brother... Overkill never disappoints! :beerbang:

Cauterize - 'Unmasked' ; the sweet new bonus acoustic CD which came with the new album... and I love it. Every song is a beautiful peice of poetry. 'Why this last dance' and 'My favourite patient' (both absent from 'Disguises') are very nice inclusions as they're two of my favourite tracks from 'Paper Wings'.

YELLOWCARD - Paper Walls

An awesome recommendation from Geoff. Killer Modern pop/rock, very similar to Paramore. This formula has sure got a little tired over the past few years, but when the songwritings this good it's impossible not to love it. Virtually every track is KILLER, there are seriously no fillers out of 13 tracks, & every chorus is lush, melodic & catchy. The fact I love it so much even from the first spin means it might soon wear out its welcome, but if you like modern rock this is utterly unmissable.

It only fractionally falls short of easily my 2 fave albums of 2007 (Machine Head & Nightwish).

YELLOWCARD - Paper Walls

An awesome recommendation from Geoff. Killer Modern pop/rock, very similar to Paramore. This formula has sure got a little tired over the past few years, but when the songwritings this good it's impossible not to love it. Virtually every track is KILLER, there are seriously no fillers out of 13 tracks, & every chorus is lush, melodic & catchy. The fact I love it so much even from the first spin means it might soon wear out its welcome, but if you like modern rock this is utterly unmissable.

It only fractionally falls short of easily my 2 fave albums of 2007 (Machine Head & Nightwish).

I have to admit my fear also was that it's wear out it's welcome a bit after I so instantly loved it, but about 3 weeks later it's even better than the first spin.

Crossfire - 'Dirty Games' ; Great hard rock album. Awesome riffs, great simple good-time hard rockin' tunes. Maybe not quite as good as I expected from the samples, but damn close. This will rank high on my best of 2007 list. Essential for Crashdiet and Dirty Penny fans, with a bit of vintage Bon Jovi thrown in for good measure.

Shotgun Symphony - s/t ; I'd heard so many great things about this, but I gotta say - it does not deliver. This is nice, decent AOR but not really the opus I was led to believe. I don't even really think it's any better than the Intruder discs. Okay but not great.

Terry Ilious - 'Here and gone' ; In a word - crap. I really hope this doesn't get released as an XYZ album because this is not anything like XYZ. Laid back, mostly acoustic, a few grunge tracks... it's not the absolute worst, and some of the mid-tempo / ballad numbers are okay. There's also a large Southern aspect to this. I'd not recommend it to anyone, but I guess it's kind of listenable.

OVERKILL-Immortalis

Love this...

Sounds sweet brother... Overkill never disappoints! :beerbang:

Keef I'm Sure you will LOVE it!!! It will make my top 5 of the Year

for Heavy Metal/Thrash.... It Rulez!!!!! :beerbang:

The Poodles - 'Sweet trade' ; Good, solid follow-up to the debut. I don't think it's as good, but it does finish off very strong. It starts out very "Nordic" for lack of a better word... but yeah, it comes good in the end. The last track was actually by far the best, IMO. I know this'll grow on me too. Honest thoughts - I guess it does sound a little rushed, in terms of song writing.

Hard Spirit - 'Walk the wild' ; Very strong hard rock album which could easily pass for Falcon Scream's 2nd album. I would have liked a few more killer tracks, but there are no duds and I'm looking forward to more spins.

The Poodles - 'Sweet trade' ; Good, solid follow-up to the debut. I don't think it's as good, but it does finish off very strong. It starts out very "Nordic" for lack of a better word... but yeah, it comes good in the end. The last track was actually by far the best, IMO. I know this'll grow on me too. Honest thoughts - I guess it does sound a little rushed, in terms of song writing.

Totally agree. "Shine" is an awesome track!!! LOVE it!

8084 - 'TLGTrain' ; I did not enjoy this at all. At first I was so excited to find out the band had actually released a new CD in 2005, but after hearing it I'd sooner have rather never known about it and cherished the memory of how good these guys were, before this was released. It sounds like they thought Bon Jovi's last few albums have been really great, because it sounds like the weakest tracks off the last few Bon Jovi albums. Don't get excited if you liked them, though, because these songs even weaker than recent Bon Jovi, IMO.

Shotgun Symphony - s/t ; I'd heard so many great things about this, but I gotta say - it does not deliver. This is nice, decent AOR but not really the opus I was led to believe. I don't even really think it's any better than the Intruder discs. Okay but not great.

Surprised you don't like this. This is a real big favourite of mine, & a million miles better than the good-but-not-amazing Intruder albums. HUGE choruses ("Goodbye To The Night" is totally OTT), & a great polished sound....

Surprised you don't like this. This is a real big favourite of mine, & a million miles better than the good-but-not-amazing Intruder albums. HUGE choruses ("Goodbye To The Night" is totally OTT), & a great polished sound....

I'll listen again, but I just found it very light, and I really didn't hear the polished sound... if that's the case, Cauterize's new album (and I'm serious here) will definitely please you, production-wise. IMO, on sound alone, I'd call it better than this. I don't know mate, I'll try again but I didn't really hear huge choruses and all... just sounded kind of weak to me.

CC Rock - EP ; huge choruses, very catchy. Reminds me a bit of Amaze Me. Great stuff, I want a full album.

Shannon - 'World of desire' ; nowhere near as good as the debut album... the new songs are okay, but kind of average hard rock. The vocals don't sound good either - more high pitched.

Lovex - 'Anyone anymore' ; these new songs are excellent. Better than the debut, so far, IMO.

Miss Crazy - 'Can't get enough' ; Awesome stuff. Killer hard rock. A lot of the new songs are even better than the ones that already featured on the debut. Very cool for hard rock fans.

Sixx A.M.- The Heroin Diaries Soundtrack

First off let me say that I'm not a huge Modern Rock fan. With that being said that's exactly what this cd is. If you're looking for Motley Crue then look somewhere else. This cd is a Modern Rock with a capital M and it's pretty damn good too. If you dig stuff like Saliva then you'd most likely enjoy this. Songs like "Van Nuys", "Life is Beautiful", "Pray for Me", Tomorrow", and "Accidents Can Happen" should all be huge on Rock radio IMO. While I probably won't listen to this cd near as often as I listen to Motley Crue I am suprised at how good most of the songs are. I give a 8 out of 10.