Journey - Generations

What is your opinion of Journey's "Generations" CD?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see the usual wars taking place elsewhere on the internet, thought I'd get the fine folks of HH's opinions (those who've heard it anyway). :drink:

Well...I can't vote because I like the CD for the most part, but I can't say I totally love it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 6.5-7.

What I really hate is when a band tried to hype up their cd, like they did to this one, and compare it to one of their best sellers. I think is was Johnathon Cain that said it was similiar to their Frontiers release.....I'm not seeing it at all <_< At least there's less ballads than Arrival ;)

Well...I can't vote because I like the CD for the most part, but I can't say I totally love it. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 6.5-7.

What I really hate is when a band tried to hype up their cd, like they did to this one, and compare it to one of their best sellers. I think is was Johnathon Cain that said it was similiar to their Frontiers release.....I'm not seeing it at all  <_<  At least there's less ballads than Arrival  ;)

Added a "thumbs in the middle" choice....

I like the Augeri songs the best generally. Maybe if it had just slipped out without all the hype then I would'nt have been expecting something so good, and therefore been disappointed.

It's a good listen, but I probably just about preferred "Arrival"....

CD isn't out yet is it?

According to MelodicRock.com, it's out in Europe and Japan. The release date listed there is August 29th, but the band has been giving away copies for free at their concerts .

Trust me, quite a few people have it already (or at least I hope they're not arguing like this off of soundbytes :crazy: ):

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phorum33/rea...167632&t=167632

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phorum33/rea...167730&t=167730

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phorum33/rea...167770&t=167770

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phorum33/rea...167839&t=167839

http://forums.melodicrock.com/phorum33/rea...167896&t=167896

I'm guessing people from those concerts - who didnt like it - have been selling them on eBay, is where I got my copy....

AFTER LOTS OF LISTENING, The Dean two songs r my fav, then The Jonathan Cain sung tune is a fav, the Steve songs I like best r the rocking ones, out of the 4 or so ballads, Have is the only one I can listen to, not sure I think the ballads are too long for some reason. Also the Neal and Ross songs are skips for me. So for me about half the songs are keepers. Alot better now then when I first listened!!!

As posted in the reviews secion of this site, I can honestly not believe how bad the disc is, even if I have never been a fan of the band. Well, this certainly doesn't entice me to change my mind. I actually thought 'Arrival' was quite good, and I was really surprised as I am really not a fan of any albums before that one. It was patchy and the ballads were pure sappy crap, but I thought this one might sort of follow on from that disc.

After hearing the first 3 songs I was preparing posts in my head to tell the world my thoughts on Journey had finally changed…

Then track 4 hit, and track 5… track 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 - all just killing me with their awful-ness. As I stated previously, the last track is just a musical disaster!

My view might be biased because I think Journey and Van Halen are miles and away the most over-rated bands to walk the earth in it's entire history, but as I said, I didn't mind half of 'Arrival' and I gave this a fair go, as I much prefer them these days to what I've ehard of their past.

If only there were more songs like the first 3… :(

Cheers,

Geoff

• 4 years later...

Haha. Five years on and I bit the bullet and added this to my collection (after finally adding the very fine 'Frontiers' and the good 'Escape' albums to my Journey collection).

After reading my review above I can see why I waited this long to find it for under $5. Funnily enough, spinning it again for the first time in 5 years I thought my views would change... but no, sadly they have not. I like the first 3 songs, but hate everything up to and including track ll. The only minor saving grace inbetween is the poor track 'Knowing That You Love Me', but it does have a half okay chorus. Aside from that, stuff like 'In Self-Defense' and 'Gone Crazy' is literally as bad as it gets. This kind of stuff is worse than the most obscure US indie garbage from the 90's I ever heard. :lol: What were they thinking?!

Anyway, it looks like the version I heard above did not have the last 2 songs on it:

12. Beyond the Clouds

13. It's Never Too Late

Thankfully, I'm glad to report that these two are actually pretty good. One nice ballad and a nice melodic rocker.

Anyway, just curious. I've now heard a lot of Journey CDs and although I'm just not into the whole pre-'Escape' style at all, of the rest of the albums this is by so far the worst I've heard. Some of the songs (and a lot of them) are just so dreadful. Is this generally considered their weakest CD of all?

Bar the mostly horrid 'Red 13' EP. 'Generations' is probably the weakest by far, including most of the earlier stuff aswell. I still like about half the songs on 'Generations', whereas usually, bar one or two occasional slip ups, most of their albums are rock solid and for me, a really consistent band.

I still kinda like this disc. Sure the tunes through the middle are pretty weak, but the first three songs are killer (especially "A Better Life" - what a monster track that is)as is "It's Never Too Late". "Arrival" was a better album, and "Trial By Fire" is by far their weakest IMO.

Bar the mostly horrid 'Red 13' EP. 'Generations' is probably the weakest by far, including most of the earlier stuff aswell. I still like about half the songs on 'Generations', whereas usually, bar one or two occasional slip ups, most of their albums are rock solid and for me, a really consistent band.

I really like Red 13 actually. Also love the Dean tracks on Generations... i love you Dean.

Yeah, I guess 'Generations' is probably considered the worst Journey album by most.

To be honest the only songs I really dont like at all are 'In Self Defense' (a re-record of the old Schon-Hammer song.......why? is a v good question), and the truly awful 'Gone Crazy'. Generally the idea to let the whole band sing on the album was a big mistake. The Cain song is not much better to be honest.

However, the first 3 songs are excellent....so to is 'Its Never Too Late' which is arguably the best song on the album. I also really like 'Out Of Harms Way' which quite a cool rocker. There are a couple of half decent ballads as well.

So half good, half not so good.

In terms of Journey as a band though I think that all their album from Raised on Radio and before are excellent and bar one or two tracks here and there all are really consistent. Revelation too was an excellent album.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked/like it quite a bit. I always kind of assumed that it was well-received by fans in general. It's only been within the past year or two that I've started reading a lot of negative reviews about it. Maybe I just wasn't tuned in five years ago. Well, I like it at least. However, I have to say, I think that they topped themselves with the excellent Revelation. I hope that the new one is another winner!