Erik Gronwall leaves Skid Row

2 hours ago, auslander said:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/skid_row_plays_first_show_with_lzzy_hale_on_vocals_this_is_what_they_sounded_like.html

Gotta say she sounds good. Sound quality not great but what you can hear ok she sounds really good IMO. Hope she stays on.

I think most people know I have always been a big fan of hers and Halestorm but was crytical of the last few albums (Vicious had too many slow paced songs and Back from the dead had too much screaming). She is an amazing vocalist still no doubt and fits Skid Row like a glove (but already knew that from the Slave cover they did on one of their EPs.

While I would love her to joing them full time I would not want it at the expense of Halestorm. Simple fact is Halestorm has a much bigger following than either Skid Row these days and even bigger than HEAT/Erik, so it would be a massive boon for the band to get her on board as it will bring in a whole new generation of fans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

First, I'm just impressed you found a video where you can actually hear Lzzy; everything I'd seen the last 2 days was terrible sound quality. With that said, she sounds fine. Not gonna make anyone forget Sebastian, or Erik for that matter, but she'll do a good job filling in 👍

Agree.

Have been a fan of Halestorm and Lzzy....she's fantastic.

That said though, this Skid Row thing just feels "off" to me.  She sounds fine but I think it's simply that hearing a female voice do the songs just doesn't seem right after listening to the originals for so long.  

I much prefer hearing Lzzy in Halestorm.  I'd rather see her concentrate on that and also concentrate on doing new music that's more in line with their first 2 albums!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer Lzzy in Halestorm too, and that is where she belongs, but man as a guest vocalist, she is killing it with the Skids......she elevates them to another level. 

Shortly after her last gig with the group, Hale thanked the band for the opportunity to perform. “Thank you so much to Rachel, Snake, Scotti, Rob, their amazing crew and the entire Skid Row fan base for putting your trust in me. Thank you for bringing me into your tribe, and allowing me to live inside your legacy for a moment. What started out as friends helping out friends, bloomed into something bigger than any of us could’ve imagined. I’m overflowing with gratitude.”

She then went on to say that even though she loved the opportunity, she’s unable to commit to the band full time. “This experience of getting to deep dive into Skid Row has given me a rare opportunity to deepen my love for these men I get to call friends. And the soul bonding moments we created together musically will live with me forever. And even though this particular time in my life prevents me from committing to a permanent role in Skid Row…I am sending in my official request to the universe that we will be able to join forces again down the road. With Love and Loud Music, Lzzy Hale”.

• Like 1

https://www.facebook.com/AllAboutRock2020

🔥 Calling all SKID ROW (SKID ROW) fans! 🎸 Mark your calendars for September 20, 2024, as they unleash their electrifying new live album (incl. DVD) "Live in London"! 📀
Recorded at the iconic O2 Forum Kentish Town in October 2022, this legendary concert features all your favorite hits like "18 And Life" and "Monkey Business" 🎶
Don't miss out on the unforgettable performances of "Time Bomb" and "Tear It Down" from earMUSIC's groundbreaking release "The Gang's All Here"!
This collector's item captures SKID ROW at the pinnacle of their career, with singer Erik Grönwall's powerhouse vocals and stage presence. 🌟 Unfortunately, Erik has since left the band, making this album truly one-of-a-kind. 🤘🔥
Tracklist:
01. Slave To The Grind
02. The Threat
03. Big Guns
04. 18 And Life
05. Piece Of Me
06. Livin' On A Chain Gang
07. Psycho Therapy
08. In A Darkened Room
09. Makin' A Mess
10. The Gang's All Here
11. Riot Act
12. Tear It Down
13. Monkey Business
14. I Remember You
15. Time Bomb
16. Youth Gone Wild
447641147_963153459147935_87294965425402

• Like 1

Look I love Erik, but "pinnacle of their career"? The first two were the pinnacle and nothing else even comes close.

They can hate on Seb all they want, but trying to deny that that era was the pinnacle is laughable.

• Like 4

Hell look at the track listing. Three tracks from The gangs all here, and the rest are all from the debut and Slave (and one from the covers EP). Nothing from Subhuman or the Sollinger years.

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Look I love Erik, but "pinnacle of their career"? The first two were the pinnacle and nothing else even comes close.

They can hate on Seb all they want, but trying to deny that that era was the pinnacle is laughable.

Agree.  Poor wording, and poor timing on this as they should've gotten this out in 2023 when Erik was still in the band.

I can't imagine this will sell all that well now.  I did love Erik in the band though and might still get it myself lol.  

It's definitely not the pinnacle.  If anything, it's more like the end IMO.

They have put up an post on FaceBook with essentially the cover photo without the live in London text, saying "Tomorrow".

If it's an announcement of the album, they are a bit late on that seeing as it's been announced by another source and is already listed on Amazon UK (just as unavailable)

• 1 month later...

Jizzy Pearl discusses the Skid Row situation…

Some good points, particularly about how people don’t think about what goes on before and after the shows; it’s a lot more than just going out and belting it out for 90 minutes or so. 

1 hour ago, whiplash1972 said:

Jizzy Pearl discusses the Skid Row situation…

Some good points, particularly about how people don’t think about what goes on before and after the shows; it’s a lot more than just going out and belting it out for 90 minutes or so. 

The only thing I would say is, much like the A&R men at the big labels back in the day who would recieve 1000s of demos ... just because they recieve them, does not mean they actually look at them. From memory, Erik did not approach Skid Row, they approached him. And let's face it, these days most of the 80s bands are almost incestuous with the way they share members (I mean, how many bands has Jizzy been in, and I bet he did not send in an application to join those bands).

Yeah there is a shit load of work outside the performance, but I think stuff like people sending in applications usually just end up getting filed in the trash bin rather than be taken seriously. I mean if you are in a band like Warrant, Ratt, Quiet Riot or Great White, do you really wanna consider Bob from Idaho as your singer or guitarist or are you gonna go for one of your more established acquaintences?

15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

The only thing I would say is, much like the A&R men at the big labels back in the day who would recieve 1000s of demos ... just because they recieve them, does not mean they actually look at them.

Yeah there is a shit load of work outside the performance, but I think stuff like people sending in applications usually just end up getting filed in the trash bin rather than be taken seriously. I mean if you are in a band like Warrant, Ratt, Quiet Riot or Great White, do you really wanna consider Bob from Idaho as your singer or guitarist or are you gonna go for one of your more established acquaintences?

I think without coming right out and saying it, Jizzy was basically making that point; you can send them some video, or an audition tape, but you're probably wasting your time. The Skid guys have already said publicly that they have a few people they are looking at, so I'd bet that it's someone who's already established in the hard rock community. I'll be shocked if the new singer doesn't turn out to be someone like a James Durbin, Ronnie Romero, Dino Jelusic, etc..., but it would be cool to get another Ripper Owens/Judas Priest style story. 

• 1 month later...

“Piece of Me” from “Live in London”

I am not the biggest fan of live albums, in fact I generally could not give a flying fuck about them and even as a collector I only buy live albums if they are either really cheap, have a bonus studio track or two on them, they come with a live DVD or blu ray or a band really only has one live album.

This though is pretty much an essential purchase as I really wanna hear how Erilk handles the classics.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, swisspaddy said:

I found this comment ans especially Eriks anser very interesting. image.png.ad79c0a574585226f18e4e7f40aeed6e.png

Found in the comments to this post. But maybe you all already knew it.

He's said he's working on writing new music...a lot of the writing seems to be with Jona.

From all I've gathered, it sounds like it's going to be some more varied stuff.  He's used some Queen references saying he wants to be able to do varied sounding stuff and not really have boundaries.

Also saw him say that he plans do write and record the music, decide how to put it out and then put a band together.  He's said he's aiming to get new material out in 2025.

Either way, the MSG stuff sounds interesting in the meantime!

On 8/23/2024 at 4:32 PM, Captain Howdy said:

I am not the biggest fan of live albums, in fact I generally could not give a flying fuck about them and even as a collector I only buy live albums if they are either really cheap, have a bonus studio track or two on them, they come with a live DVD or blu ray or a band really only has one live album.

This though is pretty much an essential purchase as I really wanna hear how Erilk handles the classics.

Completely agree I only have 2 live CD's, KISS Alive & Thin Lizzy - Life Live.

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

I mean, this is cool but I want a reunion and new album of McAuley Schenker.

Didn't they do a reunion tour last year?