Erik Gronwall leaves Skid Row

I was really waiting for the next CD it would have been better than The Gangs All Here after playing and being around each other for a bit the new CD would have KICKED Azz. Really, Really bummed........

• Like 1

I can't see where either of them go from here to be honest.  Erik made Skid Row sound the best that their target audience could have hoped for in about 30 years, and as much as people like to make out that Erik is young and a star and doesn't need a washed up old band, blah blah blah, that was the highest profile gig he's had outside of Sweden in 15 years.

I can't see him getting another opportunity with a bigger band for the exact reason's he's just quit this one.  The money is in touring, and if his health will prevent him doing that, who's going to take a punt on him again?

I think he'll have a solo album, probably modern pop-rock to have one last aim for the charts, but he'll likely focus more on YouTube covers and various video's across social media to try and monetize that.

Which is a shame, as his voice on his own material is great, but his YouTube covers are usually way over-the-top and kind of grating, and also, kind of pointless because they tend to just be karaoke versions rather than making the song his own.

Skid Row should look for another Brett Carlisle (Great White) or Parker Lee (Molly Hatchet) or Jason Colombini (Starz), a young, American hidden talent with a love for the 80's rock scene, so the travel isn't an issue and it's still injecting new blood into the band, and won't come with the baggage or ego of someone who's already had a taste of fame before them...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Captain Cowardly said:

I can't see where either of them go from here to be honest.  Erik made Skid Row sound the best that their target audience could have hoped for in about 30 years, and as much as people like to make out that Erik is young and a star and doesn't need a washed up old band, blah blah blah, that was the highest profile gig he's had outside of Sweden in 15 years.

I can't see him getting another opportunity with a bigger band for the exact reason's he's just quit this one.  The money is in touring, and if his health will prevent him doing that, who's going to take a punt on him again?

I think he'll have a solo album, probably modern pop-rock to have one last aim for the charts, but he'll likely focus more on YouTube covers and various video's across social media to try and monetize that.

Which is a shame, as his voice on his own material is great, but his YouTube covers are usually way over-the-top and kind of grating, and also, kind of pointless because they tend to just be karaoke versions rather than making the song his own.

Skid Row should look for another Brett Carlisle (Great White) or Parker Lee (Molly Hatchet) or Jason Colombini (Starz), a young, American hidden talent with a love for the 80's rock scene, so the travel isn't an issue and it's still injecting new blood into the band, and won't come with the baggage or ego of someone who's already had a taste of fame before them...

I agree completely except for the singers recommended. I don't think it matters really, where do you go after they had Erik? Unless whoever is as good almost anybody would be a let down my opinion anyway.

Or I don't know have Erik do the album with them and they don't tour? lol..... I could live with that how much are they actually touring now anyway? I don't know haven't checked.

Edited by TheOriginalSplash

18 minutes ago, Captain Cowardly said:

Agree with most also.

I really don't think Erik wants to be with another band, for exactly what you mention.  If he does anything, I'd bet he forms his own band where he can be in control of what happens.  I think he wants to just create some music, and do some smaller, shorter tours and be home often for his health and family.  

What's ironic to me is that I feel like it seems what Erik wants is basically what he had in H.E.A.T lol.  I mean, that band didn't play a ton of shows.  They were mostly about creating music, putting out albums and when they do tours they would do them for a week or two and then be back home.  Most of their touring was in Europe for shorter trips and they didn't have to ride around in a tour bus for a month like Skid Row does.  And I'm sure Erik could've been more involved with writing in H.E.A.T if he wanted to. 

As for Skid Row, I think they're royally screwed.  Erik was easily the best singer they've had since Bach and I feel like their popularity was as high as it's been since Bach.  For the first time in years, there was a buzz around that band.  I mean, a buddy of mine saw the Skids locally 5 or 5 years ago and there were literally about 250 people in the crowd (I skipped the show as I had no interest in seeing it).  However, I saw them 3 times with Erik and each time the crowd seemed to be bigger than the previous show.  I think the last show had a crowd somewhere around 4,000-5,000 which is quite an improvement from 5 years ago.

I don't know where they go from here.  They'll probably try to bring somebody in but in all likelihood that person isn't going to be as good as Erik was.  And even still, one of the things I think helped sell Erik as the singer was that they got a good new album out with him.  How long will it be before they're able to get another album done with a new singer?  2, 3, 5 years?

Bach coming back would be the only thing that would probably interest me at this point and save that band.  I'm really not interested in seeing anybody else sing for them at this point and don't really care who they get.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheOriginalSplash said:

I agree completely except for the singers recommended. I don't think it matters really, where do you go after they had Erik? Unless whoever is as good almost anybody would be a let down my opinion anyway.

I'm not recommending THOSE singers for Skid Row, i'm saying they've done great things with the bands they have joined and it's given them a career boost they otherwise wouldn't have had.

I love(d) Mitch Malloy (he seems like a bit of a prick from his social media), but the difference in Great White with Brett vs Mitch is night and day.  He has so much more energy, he actually looks like he wants to be there, they are playing to larger and larger crowds again (they seemed to be state fair fodder with Mitch) and he sounds like a young Jack Russell.

Skid Row NEED that, especially after Erik.

I refuse to believe that Erik is the only young singer that sounds like a young Seb Bach on the planet.

And it beats Girish Pradham or Dino Jelusick who are on every fucking album these days, being shoe-horned in to yet another band, as one of those is just fucking terrible...  and it's not Dino ;)

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, Captain Cowardly said:

And it beats Girish Pradham or Dino Jelusick who are on every fucking album these days, being shoe-horned in to yet another band, as one of those is just fucking terrible...  and it's not Dino ;)

Is Girish being overused? I've not seen him outside his band. 

14 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

He did the recent End Machine album and I think one guest song with someone else, but he certainly is not being overused.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Captain Cowardly said:

Not quite sure you understand what he means by the touring being too much. He is not adverse to touring, just not on the scale Skid Row want to do. For starters, they are an American band and he lives in Sweden, so that is some serious distance. He is more than happy to tour Europe and go outside from time to time, but he cannot commit to the kind of touring schedule they have. Not just because of his health but he has a young family as well.

As for music, was just in a chat with him tonight and he fully intends to work on solo stuff, and is still working with Jonah on writing stuff (they both wrote some songs last summer that they were going to pitch to Skid Row for the next album, but now may record and release them to YouTube).

He said that anything they are writing now, would probably not see the light of day til the end of next year due to how long it takes to write, record and produce etc.

Don't write the guy off yet, he still has a lot of passion for the business.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not quite sure you understand what he means by the touring being too much. He is not adverse to touring, just not on the scale Skid Row want to do. For starters, they are an American band and he lives in Sweden, so that is some serious distance. He is more than happy to tour Europe and go outside from time to time, but he cannot commit to the kind of touring schedule they have. Not just because of his health but he has a young family as well.

As for music, was just in a chat with him tonight and he fully intends to work on solo stuff, and is still working with Jonah on writing stuff (they both wrote some songs last summer that they were going to pitch to Skid Row for the next album, but now may record and release them to YouTube).

He said that anything they are writing now, would probably not see the light of day til the end of next year due to how long it takes to write, record and produce etc.

Don't write the guy off yet, he still has a lot of passion for the business.

Cool ....

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 5:00 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

In the last 18 months, Girish & The Chronicles, Steel Bars - A Tribute to Michael Bolton, Circus of Rock, Joel Hoekstra's 13, The End Machine.
Within the last few years he also fronted Firstborne alongside GATC.

Pretty impressive for someone who can't sing :-D

• Haha 1

Hale did an interview with New Jersey radio station 105.5 WDHA, and she talked at length about getting the temporary gig with Skid Row, but also hinted that it could become a more permanent situation. 

“You never know,” she said. “I will say something that most likely will happen is that these will not be the only four dates you ever hear. I will say that. As far as me being the permanent member of Skid Row, we’re gonna all have to find a plateau [laughs] in our schedules to do that. But you never know. Sounds like a pretty good gig for me, if I ever get to that point.”

She continued: “But, yeah, I’m just so grateful for the guys. And then think about it coming full circle. And it all comes from the right place. I mean, Erik, what an amazing voice and what a perfect fit for them and brought them into a whole new game changer. There’s everything going on with his health, and how wonderful is it that amicably both parties can be, like, ‘Hey, we’re looking out for each other.’ ‘Hey, I can’t give you what you need.’ And also, ‘Hey, us as a band, we can’t give you what you need to look after yourself. So, hey, let’s do that.’ And ‘Hey, let’s bring in our buddy Lzzy.’ I’m helping out my buddies. Everybody’s doing it for the right reasons. And so it’s a beautiful thing.”

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Metal T said:

Poor Sebastian Bach now being replaced by a chick........:wacko:

Nothing wrong with that considering who it is.

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Hale did an interview with New Jersey radio station 105.5 WDHA, and she talked at length about getting the temporary gig with Skid Row, but also hinted that it could become a more permanent situation. 

“You never know,” she said. “I will say something that most likely will happen is that these will not be the only four dates you ever hear. I will say that. As far as me being the permanent member of Skid Row, we’re gonna all have to find a plateau [laughs] in our schedules to do that. But you never know. Sounds like a pretty good gig for me, if I ever get to that point.”

She continued: “But, yeah, I’m just so grateful for the guys. And then think about it coming full circle. And it all comes from the right place. I mean, Erik, what an amazing voice and what a perfect fit for them and brought them into a whole new game changer. There’s everything going on with his health, and how wonderful is it that amicably both parties can be, like, ‘Hey, we’re looking out for each other.’ ‘Hey, I can’t give you what you need.’ And also, ‘Hey, us as a band, we can’t give you what you need to look after yourself. So, hey, let’s do that.’ And ‘Hey, let’s bring in our buddy Lzzy.’ I’m helping out my buddies. Everybody’s doing it for the right reasons. And so it’s a beautiful thing.”

Hey

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'm convinced the guys in Skid Row are nothing but chickensh!ts,and probably were a bigger problem on the whole all along...

Man,if im Bach i move the f__k on and im persona non grata forever with these dupes.That guy has been lobbying to get back in that band about as long as DLR had been trying to get back in VH....and no dice.I'm not a big Bach guy either but c'mon...give him the mic

It's been almost 30 years. Only Gen Xers like me would remember when Sebastian was the vocalist. Agreed it would be awesome, but liklihood of it happening is zero. 

• 2023 Gold Donors

When it comes to Sebastian Bach it's all about his voice and not who he's performing with IMO.

Yes, being sentimental, I would enjoy a Skid Row reunion, but as long as Seb is recording in any form then I'm happy. His recent solo stuff for example. 

I think the other thing is, what exactly would we get from them musically? Their three Bach fronted albums are all completely different. Would we get one particular sound, a mish mash of those three albums or something entirely different?

We have seen so many bands make comebacks and sound nothing like they used to that I really don't know what to expect anymore.

I think from a live perspective that is where the real money is to be made, and a set of greatest hits is the way to go. But with a new album, we could end up with something akin to Guns N Roses where the music sounds nothing like Skid Row.

I will say though that going on the last Skids album and what we have heard from the upcoming Seb album, a reunion now could actually move in the direction of the debut album.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:52 PM, Captain Cowardly said:

There is a world outside the USA. :-)

Hopefully his health will improve in future. And who knows, maybe he'll be touring Europe with a Swedish band one day. 

On 4/3/2024 at 6:37 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Nothing wrong with that considering who it is.

I don't see it working I know if she does end up being the singer they lost me. Now don't get all weird cause I said that, my first band I had a woman singer but even then I wasn't happy with. And Skid Rows sound is the way I like it, it just doesn't seem to fit for me with a woman singer. 

Edited by TheOriginalSplash
added
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:50 AM, swisspaddy said:

There is a world outside the USA. :-)

Hopefully his health will improve in future. And who knows, maybe he'll be touring Europe with a Swedish band one day. 

Yep, he'll make an amazing living doing world tours of Sweden :-D

He's got a young child and had a serious health set back, I think he's hoping that his YouTube gig will pay off.

Plus, didn't he quit H.E.A.T to move away from being a frontman and launch a music consultation business in South Africa or something?!  Then he got sick, so i'm guessing that fell at the first hurdle?