Steel Panther on Americas got talent

Captain Howdy

Will watch asap. I’d heard about it but assumed they were playing as guest artists do, but they’re actually in the contest, competing? Lol. How intriguing. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Will watch asap. I’d heard about it but assumed they were playing as guest artists do, but they’re actually in the contest, competing? Lol. How intriguing. 

Well it's billed as an audition, but I am guessing it's all just a promo deal

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 6/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Do they even have songs they can perform on television?

I was wondering the same thing. 

AGT, as with all the other worldwide "Got Talent" shows are predominantly family friendly television. 

I'd like to think that many straight laced people would have checked out their discography based on that performance. 

This is their ultimate piss take.

Hilarious. 

Edited by Darkstone

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Do they even have songs they can perform on television?

Assuming they make it all the way to the finals, they only need 4 more songs. With some minor lyric edits, their new song "1987" could easily be played, maybe "Hell's on Fire," and then they could do their covers of "Don't Stop Believing" and "I Want it That Way." 

Personally, I hope they make it to the live show, tell the producers they're playing a cover, and then launch into "Community Property."

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, metalmaniac777 said:

Assuming they make it all the way to the finals, they only need 4 more songs. With some minor lyric edits, their new song "1987" could easily be played, maybe "Hell's on Fire," and then they could do their covers of "Don't Stop Believing" and "I Want it That Way." 

Personally, I hope they make it to the live show, tell the producers they're playing a cover, and then launch into "Community Property."

Or Asian Hooker/Tiger Woods :) 

Funnily enough while inititially sounding like pure filth, "It won't suck itself" is actually TV friendly in many respects.

The burden of being wonderful would work, but they might have to change the Stevie Wonder line to appease the PC crowd.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, lettard said:

Read this morning they did'nt get through :(

Thats what happens when you leave the voting to an uneducated public who have the attention span of a gnat and only follow what is the latest trends. The people who would vote for them don't watch shows like this.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.webisjericho.com/steel-panther-reveal-how-they-ended-up-on-americas-got-talent/

Metal fans were a bit surprised when parody rockers Steel Panther ended up on the very mainstream “America’s Got Talent” television franchise. The band appeared earlier this year and narrowly missed out on advancing to the finals of the talent show competition. 

The glam-rockers brought “Eyes of a Panther” to season 18 of the long-running TV show back in May, which earned them a standing ovation from all four judges – Sofia Vergara, Heidi Klum, Howie Mandel and Simon Cowell.

After their exit, the band shared a social media post saying: “Huge thanks to all the fans who voted for us on America’s Got Talent! It wasn’t in the cards this time BUT, don’t you worry… like a bad case of herpes, you can’t get rid of us that easily. The battle rages on and we will NEVER stop flying the banner of Heavy Metal!”

In a recent interview with WGRD 97.9 radio, Steel Panther drummer Stix Zadinia talked about how the band ended up on the show. 

Simply put: “They called us, if I’m being totally honest with you,” he said. “They called us a couple of years in advance and asked us if we wanted to do it. We didn’t know that they allowed for professionals on the show. And they said, ‘Yeah, we opened it up.’ So we couldn’t get the schedule right until the next season.”

The band, known for its raunchy lyrics and videos, also had to clean up their tunes and presentation some for network television. 

“And then we had to have a conversation of, ‘Man, we’re a pretty edgy band,” Stix said. “We’re not network-style. So we’re gonna have to change some stuff. Do we mind doing that?'”

“And at the end of the day, we felt like it was worth going and playing by the rules on TV, because we know what we do. We just took it as an opportunity to make more people aware of what we do, because we’re proud of it. We were on twice as much as I thought we were gonna be on, and then we ended up losing to a three-legged dog.”

• Like 2