Bangalore Choir; Beyond Target - The Demos

Geoff

https://www.musicme.com/#/Bangalore-Choir/albums/Beyond-Target---the-Demos-5055544230906.html

Anyone heard this gear yet? I believe it was only released two days ago, on the 9th of September, but having heard about it this morning it's very much my most wanted at the moment. If I'm seeing right, I'm counting about 8 songs on this not featured on the debut (including 'Sanctuary,' which I dare say will be their version of the awesome Plunkett/Autograph song). Had a sneaky listen to these two on youtube-

and it sounds like one not far off album quality and the other an above-par sounding demo to these ears, so I'm pretty savage-keen to hear these tracks. Goodness... I left the second one playing as I typed - the solo, sweet christ. Slap my balls with tongues of joy.

Okay I'll try one more-

It's definitely demo quality, but I can handle that for how I've longed over the years to hear more from these sessions. Cool tune. 

Anyway, check it. I will definitely be aiming to do so. FYI, if I understand correctly, this is digital only. No physical release, I believe. 

• Like 2

Mine arrived today already...with a nice wee On Target card signed by Mr Reece himself  :) 2 discs 24 tracks...albeit disc one is On Target...but nice all the same.

Edited by lettard

• 2023 Gold Donors
30 minutes ago, lettard said:

Mine arrived today already...with a nice wee On Target card signed by Mr Reece himself  :) 2 discs 24 tracks...albeit disc one is On Target...but nice all the same.

Nice.

50 minutes ago, lettard said:

Mine just came through the door, and yeah got the same signed card.

The first disc is mostly On target, but there are three songs that did not appear on the original, and Doin the dance is missing.

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Like 1

From Mr. Reece himself:

We recorded most of these demos you’re hearing in the garage, but some were done at Stevie Nick's personal studio as well as some at A&M studios. It’s quite a funny story as some of the tracks were recorded over U2’s ‘The Joshua Tree’ demos - I definitely wish I still had those!

The remixes for ‘On Target’ were originally done at Skip Saylor and the Enterprise Studios and after years of wondering where these lost tracks were, I found them through an old friend. Giles Lavery said we need to release this material, so I contacted Riccardo Demarosi here in my village in Italy and he carefully remixed and mastered these lost gems.

I remain very proud of this history and am so very happy to give them life again.

Yours in voice, David Reece

CD1: 1. Angel In Black 2. All Or Nothing 3. Loaded Gun 4. Sweet Temptation 5. She Can't Stop 6. Slippin' Away 7. Just One Night 8. Freight Train Rollin 9. If The Good Die Young - We'll Live Forever 10. Do Or Die 11. Hold On To You 12. Somebody

CD2: 1. Victim Of The Night Demo 2. Sanctuary 3. Let Me Go 4. Always Remember 5. No Guts No Glory 6. All Or Nothing Demo 7. She Can't Stop Demo 8. Slippin Away Demo 9. Just One Night Demo 10. Freight Train Rollin Demo 11. If The Good Die Young Demo 12. Hold On To You Demo

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mine just came through the door, and yeah got the same signed card.

The first disc is mostly On target, but there are three songs that did not appear on the original, and Doin the dance is missing.

Probably a rights thing.

Written-By – Aldo Nova, Jon Bon Jovi

42 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Probably a rights thing.

Written-By – Aldo Nova, Jon Bon Jovi

These are not the same recordings as on the debut, so could just be they never did the rougher version.

Could be anything really. Not sure rights would be an issue as this is the same label that released the boxset of all three albums, and that included both the original version on the debut and a live version too.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

These are not the same recordings as on the debut, so could just be they never did the rougher version.

Could be anything really. Not sure rights would be an issue as this is the same label that released the boxset of all three albums, and that included both the original version on the debut and a live version too.

Yes. As noted by David Reece above. Cool companion to On Target.

• 1 year later...

lol, I don't understand the fuss. Are they just bitter that they wrote a weak song and it got released for the world to hear them not at their song-writing best? I like Jon, Aldo and obviously Bangalore Choir, but I actually think the BC version is significantly better than the Aldo Nova version and if anything they did it a service by dropping the "dance of the dead" bit. 

You can't polish a turd and although this song isn't an absolute turd, it was BY FAR the weakest song on the BC album and obviously not good enough to make the cut for Aldo Nova's 'Blood On The Bricks' album... or any Bon Jovi album. 

I feel like there's probably not much to the reality of the story, but it doesn't seem like a song worthy of much fuss. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol, I don't understand the fuss. Are they just bitter that they wrote a weak song and it got released for the world to hear them not at their song-writing best? I like Jon, Aldo and obviously Bangalore Choir, but I actually think the BC version is significantly better than the Aldo Nova version and if anything they did it a service by dropping the "dance of the dead" bit. 

You can't polish a turd and although this song isn't an absolute turd, it was BY FAR the weakest song on the BC album and obviously not good enough to make the cut for Aldo Nova's 'Blood On The Bricks' album... or any Bon Jovi album. 

I feel like there's probably not much to the reality of the story, but it doesn't seem like a song worthy of much fuss. ;)

"a weak song and it got released" - in full agreement here.

Coming from a person who has On Target in his top 10 albums list Doin The Dance is the weakest song on it but still not a shit song. Imo

• Like 1