Singer vs Singer

Singer vs Singer  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't really know how to vote, so in every case I just went with the voice I preferred... Nothing else matters. For example, I prefer Jani Lane in every conceivable way to Robert Mason... Except I think that purely on a vocal level Mason has the better voice, which is why I voted that way. A few instances like that where I much prefer the other guy's musical output, but voted for the better voice, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I was on the train before, but for the record-

1. I prefer Steve Lee's voice over Harry Hess, purely as vocalists. Much respect for both, but I prefer Hess as the overall artist.

2. Coverdale over Tyler. Probably the only super easy pick without thought required.

3. Michaels over Vie. Another easy one, actually. Much as I love prime Enuff Z'Nuff and his unique voice, I wouldn't say I'm individually a mad fan of his vocals. Never had an issue with Michaels.

4. Robert Mason over Lane on a purely vocal level. Every single other aspect, Lane all the way.

5. Lewis over Pearcy. Really hard one. Possibly surprised myself here going with Lewis. Obviously neither are vocal powerhouses, but both iconic. It was thinking of Lewis on something like 'Over the edge' that made me lean that way.

6. Tate over La Torre. I'll be honest and say I've not heard the other dude much, but Tate did what he did very well.

7. Winger over Jovi. As close to a dead heat as there was. Ended up going with Winger thinking of something like 'Spell I'm Under,' but wicked close contest.

8. Malloy over Russell. Love both these guys, but on a purely vocal level had to go with Malloy.

9. Poley over Laine. Poley probably my favourite 80's hard rock vocalist and bit of a confession time... not the maddest Laine fan ever. Love him on 'Stick it in your ear' and even 'Cockroach,' but not as big a fan of him in more recent years. Guess the same could be said for Poley, but in their prime, Poley for me. 

10. Joe Elliot over Heart. Another easy one. Love Elliot's voice but never been a fan of Heart's much at all.

11. Cathey over Logan. Two great vocalists, but I melt over Cathey's voice and with a bigger sample size he'd probably have been my favourite vocalist of the era.

12. Davis over Bulen (or is Keeling?). You stumped with with this one, mate. Have we ever heard Bulen sing on anything? I don't think I have. I just read he was actually the lead vocalist for Baton Rouge before they recorded anything and Keeling took over. So I assume you might have meant Keeling? In which case my answer's still the same. 

Cool thread anyway. I enjoyed it. 

40 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I was on the train before, but for the record-

1. I prefer Steve Lee's voice over Harry Hess, purely as vocalists. Much respect for both, but I prefer Hess as the overall artist.

2. Coverdale over Tyler. Probably the only super easy pick without thought required.

3. Michaels over Vie. Another easy one, actually. Much as I love prime Enuff Z'Nuff and his unique voice, I wouldn't say I'm individually a mad fan of his vocals. Never had an issue with Michaels.

4. Robert Mason over Lane on a purely vocal level. Every single other aspect, Lane all the way.

5. Lewis over Pearcy. Really hard one. Possibly surprised myself here going with Lewis. Obviously neither are vocal powerhouses, but both iconic. It was thinking of Lewis on something like 'Over the edge' that made me lean that way.

6. Tate over La Torre. I'll be honest and say I've not heard the other dude much, but Tate did what he did very well.

7. Winger over Jovi. As close to a dead heat as there was. Ended up going with Winger thinking of something like 'Spell I'm Under,' but wicked close contest.

8. Malloy over Russell. Love both these guys, but on a purely vocal level had to go with Malloy.

9. Poley over Laine. Poley probably my favourite 80's hard rock vocalist and bit of a confession time... not the maddest Laine fan ever. Love him on 'Stick it in your ear' and even 'Cockroach,' but not as big a fan of him in more recent years. Guess the same could be said for Poley, but in their prime, Poley for me. 

10. Joe Elliot over Heart. Another easy one. Love Elliot's voice but never been a fan of Heart's much at all.

11. Cathey over Logan. Two great vocalists, but I melt over Cathey's voice and with a bigger sample size he'd probably have been my favourite vocalist of the era.

12. Davis over Bulen (or is Keeling?). You stumped with with this one, mate. Have we ever heard Bulen sing on anything? I don't think I have. I just read he was actually the lead vocalist for Baton Rouge before they recorded anything and Keeling took over. So I assume you might have meant Keeling? In which case my answer's still the same. 

Cool thread anyway. I enjoyed it. 

to keep my reply simple, I basically agree with Geoff except the following -

JBJ > Kip

Having seen both live I prefer JBJ. Talking in their prime here

Paul Laine > Ted

Love Ted but Paul is far superior and superb live, one of the best I've seen. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's what it was for me, I mostly voted on familiarity:

1. I'll be honest, I didn't know who either of these singers were.  Of the two I've only heard music from Harem Scarem so it was Hess for me

2. I like Coverdale's voice more than Tyler's

3. I voted Michaels since I've only heard a handful of Enuff Z'nuff songs and I listen to a lot of Poison.  With such a limited sample size this might change when I hear more Z'nuff but for right now it has to be Michaels

4. Haven't heard a lot of Mason so I voted Jani.  As far as I'm concerned Jani is the full package when it comes to singer-songwriters, he's an absolute Legend

5. Of all of these I feel like this is the least fair comparison, they don't sound even remotely alike to me.  While Pearcy isn't a phenomenal vocalist in the traditional sense, he's so much more distinct in my opinion.  I think Phil's voice could get lost in the shuffle, but when Pearcy sings you KNOW it's Pearcy which is arguably more important in some cases

6. Haven't heard Queensryche with La Torre, so Tate it is

7. Bon Jovi is my favorite band of all time, come at me

8. Same with Tate, I've only heard Great White with Russell so Russ it is

9. I like both versions of Danger Danger for different reasons, but I have to go with Poley for this one

10. Haven't heard anything from Heart I don't think, so Elliot all the way

11. Haven't heard much of Cold Sweat or Cathey, but I do love that first Lynch Mob album. Point Logan!

12. Once again had to look these guys up, but this time I've actually heard one full album from each.  I assumed Bulen was Keeling, but that aside this was probably the closest one for me.  Ended up going for Baton Rouge but if you asked me in a few weeks that might change

We should do this again sometime, maybe with guitarists/drummers/bassists/etc?

Looks like I'm the only one who likes Tyler more than Coverdale. Not that I dislike Coverdale, I love the guy's voice, but if I had to choose just one to listen to, I'd go with Tyler, especially his 70's output. I kinda like the sleazy sound just a little bit more than the bluesy sounding voices.

• 2 months later...

Well Tyler for me in every way too, not keen on Coverdale at all with his pretentious personna and fake "posh Englishman" accent  e.t.c. - he's from North Yorkshire FFS - "Ay ooop lad". To me he is what a rock star would be if cast in a soap opera (blech!). Plus I'm an Aerosmith fan boy :D