What was your gateway band/album?

• 2023 Gold Donors

What I mean by the title is what band/artist/album did you first hear that got you into this genre, if you can remember it.  For me, it started with Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet which put it on my radar, but it wasn't until a few years later when I first heard Quiet Riot's Metal Health that I really got into it.  Ever since then I've been all-in, from the most famous to the most obscure artists out there!

• 2023 Gold Donors

Good question. 

For me, it was probably Suzi Quatro. 

My Mum had her first two albums, so her songs and image are very early memories for me.

The clip for Roger Glover's "The Butterfly Ball" was played every day on early morning childrens television when I was pre school age, so I was exposed to RJD's voice very early on and developed an addiction ever since.

For me it was hearing GNR's Sweet Child O Mine when it first came out on Video Smash Hits. I still remember what it felt like seeing and hearing that song for the first time. And also Def Leppard's "Hysteria" which had single after single that I loved  and Whitesnake's release from the same year. It was 1987 and I was 11, and then hooked for life.

I had kind of dabbled with some Kiss back in the late 70's and a little bit of AC/DC.  But I was listening to a lot of stuff then.  But I think what really got me diving in was hearing Def Leppard during the High N Dry era, specifically probably Bringin' On The Heartbreak.   And then when Pyromania dropped, I was really all in.

It was around 1980 and One of my older sisters had Def Leppard On Through The Night amongst her Abba, The Supremes and stuff...that stuck with me so she gave it to me partly because I had it all of time and partly because she wasnt too keen... shortly after I begged my Mum to buy me Back In Black and that was that..hooked on that genre...have been ever since but the stadium rock(hair metal whatever) from the mid to late 80's...wow...that has been my go to stuff( I was that kid in school with the long hair that was different from my friends :) )...my favourite style if you like...but them classic rock albums are still timeless,and The Friday Night Rock Show on Radio One with the late great Tommy Vance plus Kerrang magazine(before it was shit) opened me up to so many new acts.

I must say though that over the years I have matured and will give pretty much any music a go and give credit were its due...even if not my favourite style

Edited by lettard

For me it was Black Sabbath and the Master of Reality release. I heard it for the first time when I was 11 and my mind was blown as I had heard nothing like it before. There was no returning to radio hits after that....

Edited by Dead Planet
  • Like 1

Well, I would say it was liquor. I used to mix every liquor my parents had and get super wasted when I was around 10. Then I started drinking beer and vodka at 12. I would get a shorty of Smirnoff and a 40 ounce of Milwaukee's Best. Then I found marijuana. Marijuana changed my life. Nothing motivates me like weed.

Weed eventually led to cocaine and heroin. And I'm still a junkie to this day.

:rofl2: 

Been a passenger to Bathurst 500, with girlfriend of time and her future brother - in law. Only listening up and down to home, Zeppelin 4 and Purple's Made In Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard AC/DC's Back in black and Deep Purple's Deepest Purple in 80-81 and that started it for me.