Country Song Of The Day

Mr.AOR

• 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

Here's one from '81 that my Mum loved.

This was around the time where traditional Country music was becoming more of a popular commercial genre.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

Here's a couple from "Outlaws & Moonshine".

A great example of Hard Rock Country.

A band that's featured in the HH database, but I could definitely see these tracks being performed by a current mainstream Country band/artist.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From one of Big E's better 70's albums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

Jason Aldean - Try That In A Small Town.

Here's an interesting one.

A great track that seems to be causing quite a stir and has been banned apparently FFS.

Apart from anything else, it's another great example of how modern Country music isn't that far removed from the AOR/MHR stuff that we love.

Great guitar work and a message that resonates with a lot of Americans (not just Americans BTW). 

Edited by Darkstone

8 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Jason Aldean - Try That In A Small Town.

Here's an interesting one.

A great track that seems to be causing quite a stir and has been banned apparently FFS.

Apart from anything else, it's another great example of how modern Country music isn't that far removed from the AOR/MHR stuff that we love.

Great guitar work and a message that resonates with a lot of Americans (not just Americans BTW). 

I don't have a problem with the song or its contents and I'm really not a fan of Jason Aldean (going back to when I worked at a Hastings store and had to lug a life-size display of him for one of his albums out of (or into) the stock room every day for a month or two), I think people are just looking for any reason to be upset at someone these days.

That said, the location for the performance part of the video is an... interesting choice, given its history. For those unaware, the Columbia County Courthouse was the site of the Columbia Race Riots in 1946 and where Henry Choate was lynched in 1927. 
On the one hand, this choice could be seen as a way of saying "we're proud of our history, warts and all," not unlike the way Germany does, in how they don't shy away from the horrors and atrocities the Nazis orchestrated. On the other, people will pluck at the low-hanging fruit and point at this as being celebratory of racism, mob justice, etc., etc.

I met Jason Aldean back in the summer of 2012 when he did a signing at the store I worked at (referenced above). He was a nice, down to earth guy from what I could tell. While my interaction with him was brief, I didn't get the feeling that he was a particularly closed-minded or hateful guy, but the media machines may try and tell you otherwise, whether it's Jason Aldean or Garth Brooks or Dee Snider or Miley Cyrus. They'll tell you whatever fits their narrative and/or leads to cash in the pockets of their stockholders, unfortunately.

Musically, I think the song is okay, but most country sounds kinda cut-and-paste to me. That might be because I'm so used to hearing it, being from Montana, that it's just become background noise, though.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
25 minutes ago, CMGiordano said:

I met Jason Aldean back in the summer of 2012 

Were you tempted to pick him up and take him to the stock room?

I certainly wasn't aware of the history of the courthouse. I guess that is quite provocative.