Sunbomb (Tracii Guns/Michael Sweet) - Evil And Divine

Stefan

sunbomb.jpg

'Evil And Divine' out May 14th through Frontiers.

From Frontiers:

SUNBOMB is a highly anticipated new musical alliance between two steadfast warriors of the U.S. hard rock/metal scene, Tracii Guns and Michael Sweet. They have put together an absolute blinder of a heavy metal album, melding influences of classic metal bands such as Black Sabbath and Judas Priest with Tracii's love of metal subgenres, specifically doom metal. 
Tracii leaked the news of the new project in a March 2019 tweet, where he described the project's debut LP as "the Metal record I would have made when I was 17 years old.” In May 2020, he mentioned on "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk” that "The SUNBOMB record is really kind of like [L.A. GUNS' 2019 album] 'The Devil You Know' times three. It's more on the heavy side of 'The Devil You Know' album. And Michael Sweet, he's a really fantastic metal singer."
The music style on the record is much heavier than what one would expect from these two musicians and is firmly planted in the 'metal' category. While Tracii wrote the music for the album, the fact that Michael Sweet has been writing in an increasingly heavier style on latter era Stryper albums made him a very logical choice to sing for the band. And since doom metal, often known for having powerful singers like Messiah Marcolin from Candlemass and Eric Wagner from Trouble, was a massive influence on Tracii's songwriting here, Sweet's ability and range were a perfect match. 
Drums on the album were handled by Tracii's old L.A. Guns bandmate Adam Hamilton and bass was handled by Mitch Davis, with the exception of the track 'They Fought', which features current L.A. Guns bassist Johnny Martin.
This release is a project created, overseen and directed by Serafino Perugino President and A&R director of Frontiers Records.

Tracklisting:
1.    Life
2.    Take Me Away
3.    Better End
4.    No Tomorrows
5.    Born To Win
6.    Evil And Divine
7.    Been Said And Done
8.    Stronger Than Before
9.    Story Of The Blind
10.    World Gone Wrong
11.    They Fought

Line-up:
Tracii Guns - Guitars 
Michael Sweet - Vocals 
Adam Hamilton - Drums 
Mitch Davis - Bass 
Johnny Martin - Bass (We Fought) 

facebook

Edited by Stefan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony
39 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Not for me at all. I'm pretty tired of Sweet's voice to be honest.

We appreciate your honesty. 

;}

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

why is it i can never understand a word that Sweet is on about - is it just me.

But yeah aside from that those songs are pretty weak 

Well, the unthinkable has happened (for me anyway); Michael Sweet has released something that I just do not like.

I've listened to Evil and Divine continuously since it's arrival in my mailbox Friday, and I can not find anything at all to get excited about... I've finally given up and pulled it from my CD player a few mins ago. 

Tracii Guns production leaves alot to be desired as well, and I'm not someone who's normally put off by less than stellar production. 

On 5/15/2021 at 3:39 AM, Glen said:

why is it i can never understand a word that Sweet is on about - is it just me.

But yeah aside from that those songs are pretty weak 

No, it's not just you. Sweet just massively over-sings these days. But don't tell him that--he continues to insist that he's never sounded better, because the guy just can't take criticism. And I say all that as a bona fide Michael Sweet fan.

On topic, this Sunbomb album is ... not good.