Def Leppard - Top 10 Songs

CureTheSane

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Well no, but definitely a ballad. A cheesy one is Carrie by Europe. I know that's not Def Leppard obviously but that's the cheesiest one ever. 

Nope. "Carrie" is great. 

You want cheese? Stryper's ballads pre-Against the Law are pure American cheese. 

9 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Nope. "Carrie" is great. 

You want cheese? Stryper's ballads pre-Against the Law are pure American cheese. 

Carrie is great, still cheesy though. Same for Stryper <_< What I call a good cheesy. 

• My Little Pony
1 minute ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Carrie is great, still cheesy though. Same for Stryper <_< What I call a good cheesy. 

We're gonna have to disagree on this.

16 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

We're gonna have to disagree on this.

Alright then. People say Stryper gets better with age- I Strongly disagree. Sorry is alright, but no way are they better with age. Anyway, yeah, we're gonna have to disagree :P

I prefer the older Stryper to the newer stuff. 

I really think they did a good job of reinventing themselves when they came back. Thunderously heavy while still maintaining those melodies. 

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

I prefer the older Stryper to the newer stuff. 

I really think they did a good job of reinventing themselves when they came back. Thunderously heavy while still maintaining those melodies. 

I don't like it as much though. 

• Like 1

I love "Carrie". It's cheesy but catchy memorable cheesy. 

I guess everybody has a different definition of Catchy, but yeah- that's what I call a good cheesy

• Like 1

Me either. Most of it is pretty samey. And Michael's vocals get a little overdone and annoying at times now.

Yeah, the deep that comes with age doesn't go well with his high voice 😂

11 hours ago, Glen said:

OK so I decided to do this properly. Here's every song I rate 8.25 and over (cos there's a huge bunch sat at 7.75-8 which would be too much to list). Every album is represented except Slang lol. 

I grouped the songs as too difficult to separate.

Gods of War

Hysteria
Love Bites
When Love & Hate Collide

Photograph
Run Riot

Too Late For Love
Animal

Lady Strange
Stagefright
Women
She's Too Tough
Wings of Añ angel

High n Dry
Comin Under Fire
Have You Ever Needed Someone
Fractured Love
Ride into the Sun
Promises
Guilty
Dangerous
Tear it Down

Rock Brigade
It Don't Matter
Bring in on the Heartbreak
Die Hard the Hunter
Billy Got a Gun
Pour Some Sugar
Armageddon It
Love & Affection
Heaven Is
Stand Up
Personal Property
I Wanna Be Your Hero
Scar
Ring of Fire

Wasted
Rock Rock
Rocket
Don't Shoot Shotgun
Make love like a Man
Tonight
I Wanna Touch You
Demolition Man
Goodbye
Everyday
Torn to Shreds
Long Long Way To Go
Tomorrow
Come Undone
Gotta Let It Go
All Time High
Foolin

Jeez, for someone who only likes two of their albums you have an awful lot of stuff not on those two as well. ;)

And as stated, obviously, 'Love Bites' more or less is the definition of a ballad. Great tune. 

Mad fan of 'Carrie' here too. Another mad cheesy ballad is Poison's 'I won't forget you.' Though the cheesiest I can think of is actually one I don't like at all - 'Love of a lifetime' by Firehouse. But there's plenty out there. I only like the good ones. ;)

And yes, I think every Stryper ballad recorded before 'Lady' is absolutely wretched. :)

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Jeez, for someone who only likes two of their albums you have an awful lot of stuff not on those two as well. ;)

And as stated, obviously, 'Love Bites' more or less is the definition of a ballad. Great tune. 

Mad fan of 'Carrie' here too. Another mad cheesy ballad is Poison's 'I won't forget you.' Though the cheesiest I can think of is actually one I don't like at all - 'Love of a lifetime' by Firehouse. But there's plenty out there. I only like the good ones. ;)

And yes, I think every Stryper ballad recorded before 'Lady' is absolutely wretched. :)

Warrant's "Heaven"?

22 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

I Saw Red was kinda cheesy too. Still liked it.

I wouldn't call 'I saw red' that cheesy. I guess in a way you can call most of them cheesy if you want, but 'I saw red' isn't too bad to me. Definitely 'Heaven,' though, especially with that film clip. 

I don't even know 'Beth' enough to comment as I always kind of skipped over it. 

I guess what does Cheesy even mean to you exactly - to me it's very, probably synthesized, maybe the singer is very 'R'ry with his R's, and the words are extremely cheesy. Lots of keyboards stuff like that. When I See You Smile is pretty cheesy, but a really good song.  :lol: 

• 2023 Gold Donors

We seemed to have strayed off topic here, but to me a cheesy ballad is all about the lyrics. D2's "I still think about you" is another one. The fact that you could get that and "Slipped her the big one" on the same album is another thing I loved about this music back in the day. All the bands did it. As mentioned, Firehouse's "Love of a Lifetime" is a great example. Of course, "cheese" can be found in songs other than ballads.

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

We seemed to have strayed off topic here, but to me a cheesy ballad is all about the lyrics. D2's "I still think about you" is another one. The fact that you could get that and "Slipped her the big one" on the same album is another thing I loved about this music back in the day. All the bands did it. As mentioned, Firehouse's "Love of a Lifetime" is a great example. Of course, "cheese" can be found in songs other than ballads.

it's absolutely all about the lyrics. I tend to hate the ballads which follow the Love of a Lifetime style.

of course there are a few exceptions. But only a few.

I like songs which change up the lyrics - a good example would be BJs 'She Don't Know Me' - great song

Otherwise I like ballads with different subject matter - like King of Hearts 'Don't Wait'- brilliant song with great lyrics & message.

Strangeways 'Goodnight LA'  or Degreed's 'Follow Her Home' are another 2 good examples 

100% it's the lyrics. Hence why those Stryper ones are insufferable. 

But an excellent ballad is not exactly a rarity in the music we love. In the majority of the bands we know and love, the cheese is kept to a minimum, mostly assigned to glam (which I love), christian and shithouse bands. Unless, of course, you just find the entire "hair metal" scene cheesy, which most outside of us do, lol.

But yeah, countless awesome ballads from "our genre" - far too countless to name. Skid Row and Vain are a cool place to start. 

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

just to clarify my point here is the song count :

on through the night : 3

high n Dry : 3

Pyromania : 8

Hysteria : 11

Adrenalize : 9

Retro : 4

Euphoria : 4

X : 4

Sparkle : 3

Slang : 0

s/t : 3

So I'll amend my statement to you only need 3 albums - Adrenalize is much better than I remember and deserves more spins 

I probably hadn't played that for about 10 years !! 

Edited by Glen

39 minutes ago, Glen said:

Vega & Degreed don't tend to write cheesy ballads.

Def Leppard have written quite a few though ;)

Nor do Harem Scarem... or, like I say, most of them. Seriously, though. It's not really very common, otherwise we probably wouldn't all be wasting out time on this site. ;)

To be honest, I don't really find the Def Leppard ballads cheesy. Could just be me though...