Pretty Maids - Undress Your Madness

Stefan

24 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Really good album. Surprised 'If you want peace' isn't as popular amongst the punters as I quite like that one. Some juicy riffage. Gotta say, though, my favourite would have to be the effortlessly excellent 'Will you still kiss me.' Love that hook and chorus melody. 

For me, 'Serpentine' and 'Slavedriver' are the two weakest tunes, and the rest are good to great. Only slight gripe, which is not a deal breaker, is that the production is a bit off - just not quite as powerful as you'd normally get from PM. Not a massive deal, but I wish it was as ballsy as their general output. 

Anyway, it's more great stuff from a super reliable band.    

agreed on the songs. 

production seems ok but his vocals could be a little higher in the mix maybe. 

it's a solid album without being spectacular - having said that, in a weak year it's a very welcome addition to my regular plays 

• 2 weeks later...

regret to say this isn't holding up well to repeat spins.

not sure if it's the album or Maids in general. 

I'm struggling with Atkins tbh. he sounds so strained these days. Makes for a tiring listen. 

36 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'm struggling with Atkins tbh. he sounds so strained these days. Makes for a tiring listen. 

Really?  I think it's the opposite for me....Loving it more with each listen.  Even starting to dig If You Want Peace and Slave Driver when I didn't care for those much initially.  

Again though, being so late to Pretty Maids this almost feels like their 4th album to me so maybe I'm not so worn out on them of have quite the same basis of comparison.

For me it's between this or Crazy Lixx for my #1 spot this year with Defiants very close behind in third.  It's really splitting hairs though....Love all 3 of these.

15 hours ago, Glen said:

Does Atkins really sound that different to how he sounded in 1984? ;)

Nah, I jest... I know what you're saying, but he's definitely aged better than some other vocalists. I always take into consideration the fact that he does actually look older than 80 years old when I rate his voice. But he still sounds like Ronnie Atkins, either way.