Metal Edge's ROCK ON THE RISE

AlphaMale

I was a big-time Circus Magazine collector back in the day (1983 - 1987).  I still have quite a few of them boxed-up at my place.  Most are missing the centerfolds and other layouts, however, as band photos always graced the covers of my PeeChees during my high school years.

I remember the racks at 7-Eleven and other local outlets stocked with the like of Circus, Creem, Hit Parader, Metal Edge, etc. during those years.  This was at a time when there was no other outlet for music news (save for MTV).  Those magazines were essential to me and my friends regarding new releases, tour dates, etc.  Many awesome hours spent buried in those magazines during my youth.

Used to have a newsagent near me that stocked both Metal Edge & Hit Parader,not every month but most,these where my eyes and ears for all these bands from the states that I hadn't yet heard,the hard part was then being able to get ahold of the cassette that I wanted...nigh on impossible from where I lived pre-internet until I found the mighty S.T Records in Dudley around 1985ish in an Ad from Kerrang(when it was a good mag) and the rest is history as they say...34 years later still listening to these same bands along with the newer stuff  :)

Think I still have some stuff somewhere magazine wise from the time that I can put a couple of clippings up  :)

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, gener8tr said:

This is another one of those "You had to be there moments."  Trying to explain just how important these rock magazines were to we teenagers at the time is next to impossible.  Circus was my rock n' roll "Google" back then.

Spot on. Metal Edge was definitely my 'Google". I used to love the full page CD store ads with band listings with descriptions. As mentioned though, they weren't easy to get a hold of down here. You could order them in if you wanted to, but they were expensive to import, it took weeks and of course you had to "blind purchase". The fact that we can now, at the press of a button, listen to any artist we hear about or see mentioned is still unbelievable to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I love it. Haven't recognized any of the posted bands yet either from my reading days or thereafter. I noticed Holland immediately though. What an amazing voice! RIP.

As stated, Metal Edge was my bible back in the day and mainly for Rock on the Rise and the section that was a what's going on/coming up news update kinda thing that always mentioned what former band members of groups were up to. Amazing stuff. Still disappointed nothing ever came of Bourgeois Pigs featuring Jake E Lee and Richard Black mentioned in one particular issue.

So wish I kept all my old issues. I bailed on the publication when they started ignoring hair bands in favour of whatever was kinda popular at that time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shamus said:

As stated, Metal Edge was my bible back in the day and mainly for Rock on the Rise and the section that was a what's going on/coming up news update kinda thing that always mentioned what former band members of groups were up to. Amazing stuff. Still disappointed nothing ever came of Bourgeois Pigs featuring Jake E Lee and Richard Black mentioned in one particular issue.

So wish I kept all my old issues. I bailed on the publication when they started ignoring hair bands in favour of whatever was kinda popular at that time.

I was an avid Metal Edge subscriber.  I also really enjoyed those Rock on the Rise and music news sections especially.  I remember that Bourgeois Pigs project being written about too. I think there was a demo or promo song floating around from that, but I may be mistaken.  Another interesting project I recall reading about was the one Vita Bratta and John Levesque (Shout/Wild Horses singer) started up, after White Lion.  I think they were to be called Civil War?  I'm sure if they did record anything it was simply shelved by Atlantic and sadly forgotten.  When I look back at those kind of articles, especially from '92 - 93, it makes me wonder what some of those up & coming bands and new projects would have sounded like

Fuck no Alph! I just keep checking in to read the new ones, DO NOT STOP! when you stated how important these were back even in the early 90s, when I was becoming a teen, you aren't fucking around, I explained in another thread how before the internet all we really had other then walk in stores, was import catalogs to get good shit, well right here is where I'd discover the new shit that was out there, I read all of them, but I had a subscription to R.I.P. and Kerrang, then I would write down all the bands Id never heard of that looked semi cool, in those days it either meant they looked like Satan worshipers or fags, then I'd go to my trusty catalogue that came once a year, every year on the 8th of January I'd get my brand new Metal Disc catalogue, I remember waiting for that bitch one year literally at the mailbox, then id whip out my list of bands id wrote down, and blaze through that catalogue to match up the names, the ones they didn't have id have to go to the walk in CD store and try to have them order(all my Chroming Rose discs) but this is bringing back so many memories, and when I think about it, I get all happy, then I stop and REALLY, think about it, and ya know what, it fucking sucked, think about it, now you can get on the net, listen to like 100 bands in an hour, and then order the ones you like, no blind bullshit, blowing hard earned money on Crisis Party,  but there was something fun about getting that completely mind blowing CD that you ordered blindly (Melidian - Lost In The Wild) but id take the way it is now any day, sorry to rant, no im not, lol, this just kicked up like a shitload of memories, thanks Alph.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crazysam said:

I was an avid Metal Edge subscriber.  I also really enjoyed those Rock on the Rise and music news sections especially.  I remember that Bourgeois Pigs project being written about too. I think there was a demo or promo song floating around from that, but I may be mistaken.  Another interesting project I recall reading about was the one Vita Bratta and John Levesque (Shout/Wild Horses singer) started up, after White Lion.  I think they were to be called Civil War?  I'm sure if they did record anything it was simply shelved by Atlantic and sadly forgotten.  When I look back at those kind of articles, especially from '92 - 93, it makes me wonder what some of those up & coming bands and new projects would have sounded like

Too funny. Bratta/Levesque was the second example I was going to use along with Pigs but I actually never read the official article; I learned about that collaboration secondhand on another site who claimed they read it in Metal Edge. Vito's playing is unbelievable and I loved the Wild Horses album with Levesque so I thought that would be a killer project between them. Oh well.

Literally nothing in it for anyone, but it would be an absolute hoot if all those back issues were uploaded on a website for old subscribers like us. That I would pay a subscription to without a doubt.

In the meantime, really appreciate this thread, Alpha. Thank you kindly.

• Like 1